Cables to connect stand alone CDU

A forum for open discussions. Feel free to discuss any and all elements of Flightdeck Building. NB: This section is for individual builders to openly discuss issues that may or may not pertain to FDS. Organizations/Political Groups or Commercial Entities Will require approval prior to posting. Prior Approval From FDS required prior to posting items for sale. No Exceptions.

Moderators: Curtis, Jetcos

Richard Simoneau

Cables to connect stand alone CDU

Post by Richard Simoneau »

Hi all,
I'm really close to order the Pro MX CDU to use with the PMDG NGX, and I just wanted to confirm what cables I needed to connect it to my PC. I don't have a VGA port on my GTX 1070, so I'm guessing an HDMI adapter should work the same.
As far as USB, it looks like a printer cable is what I need.

Am I correct?

Thanks

Richad
Richard Simoneau

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

I would suggest a USB to VGA adapter. The lower resolution of the CDU screen is not always happy with a HDMI to VGA adapter.

USB cable is an A to B USB cable.

Once the updated software is available we will announce it in the Forum and Facebook.
Steve Cos
Vice President and Tech Support
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)

Richard Simoneau

Thanks Steve. Is this what I'm looking for?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Cheers
Richard Simoneau

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

Looks like a cable designed for a KVM, so I don't think so.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=109802 should work, check with the vendor.
Steve Cos

Richard Simoneau

I'm not exactly sure how the one you linked would work. It seems to have female VGA to usb C... and I see the back of the CDU also has female. Maybe it was meant to be a different adapter.
Richard Simoneau

Richard Simoneau

Disregard my posts...i guess I should have looked at my motherboard and I would have noticed there's a VGA port. I should be able to run the CDU with my integrated graphics, and my monitor on my GTX 1070. I guess all I need is a normal VGA cable.

Cheers
Richard Simoneau

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

From my understanding, once you connect a GFX card to the MB the on-board one doesn't work. double check that.

After your vender for a USB to VGA adapter.
Steve Cos

Richard Simoneau

I'll look into it.
Richard Simoneau

Richard Simoneau

From what I found, in my MB/CPU combo case, it's just a matter of enabling the IGPU for multiple monitor use in the BIOS. I guess the only way to know for sure would be trying to actually connect another monitor to it, which I will try today. The fact that the CDU is low resolution shouldn't be a problem for the IGPU.
Richard Simoneau

Richard Simoneau

I'm happy to report that my test was successful. Although I used the HDMI port of the IGPU to connect an extra monitor, I was able to use both monitors independently even though they were connected to 2 different gpus. My guess is connecting the CDU to the IGPU directly with a VGA cable should work. I did have to go into the BIOS to enable the onboard graphics though.
My Newegg cable order has been placed.
Richard Simoneau