Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you do this with FS? Custom panel displays...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: How do you do this with FS? Custom panel displays... Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Hope the weekend has been good to you all.

This past year at Sun n Fun, I saw an avionics demonstrator that used the Flight1 C172 aircraft as the panel and the foward outside view was placed seperately on a bigger screen (large LCD). It looked sorta like this :
http://www.simcockpitsystem.com/Detail.bok?no=23

but was more in a console-like setup. Anyhow, what I want to know is how do we show only the aircraft panel in FS on one pc and then the external forward view on a second one like in the above picture? It's almost as if the lower display showing the panel is blown-up to get the larger size.

thanks,

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
bwr014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

These guys where at the AVSIM show in WA where i was together with Ron. ( if iam right..)

They just used there 1 beamer and had put this unit before the screen.

That screen in the middle was just a seperate monitor or lcd tv not sure what is was anymore.

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I guess what is happening is that you move the outside view window out of the way and move the panel display up to the top of the screen just under the top bezel on the monitor. It looked in the original picture like they were expanding the panel bitmap but I now see the black space under the panel. I tried it this morning at home with several aircraft. Would you just network two machines with one projecting the outside view on a screen via a beamer and then one machine showing just the panel, or use a two head video card? Which is the best way to display this? Thanks,

Eric T

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
renepilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the fastest and simplest way to do it it is putting a second PCI video card to your computer, configuring it to multiple monitor and just undock your panel window and move it to where you what. You can use as many monitors depending on your available PCI´s slots

Rene Irra
737NG project
www.i737ng.com
Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question regarding PCIe cards/Mother Boards: Instead of running SLI, can you just run two monitors on two PCIe cards with the panel on one video card and the outside view (or better yet, a Matrox 3-in-1 card) on the second PCIe card?

In the above setup, is it 1 or multiple PCs?

I See 4 monitors.

1-Panel
1-External View
1-Overhead
1-Other Systems (CDU's, etc.)

What is the best way to implement this?

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Ron D.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with an SLI capable motherboard you can have 2 video cards running 4 monitors, all with different views, all from one pc. by adding the older PCI cards you can have more, ie. XP supports up to 10 monitors. As Renepilot said, start with the main outside view, then simply create new views, undock them, then move to another monitor. This can include the instrument panel, radios, other side views, etc. etc.

Ron.
ran56

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tested a SLI pc (ASUS board) with 2 7800GTs, I could work with 1 3d view and 3 2d's.
When I wanted to have 3 3D views, the system halted.
I took an ATI X800Pro card and with one of the 7800GT got it to work with 3 3D views.

Now there are boards with dual PCIE slots (X16) and I think dual VGAs should do better work on multi 3D displays.
Didn't test it yet, hopfuly will do in the near future Smile

Ran.
Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers. Im wondering how good a well-equiped PC with 2 PCIE cards could actually handle the 4 monitors. This makes for an interesting option for generic simulators using only 1 pc.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Ron D.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the problem, 4 monitors are possible but the frame rates take a huge hit if you run multiple views. It all works fine if you're using them to display one front view and gauges on another plus say GPS on another.

Ron.
ran56

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another solution to the 3 monitors with 3D view can be the T2G of Matrox.
I saw it in action on a low end pc, of course no scenery and default c 172, frames where stable and round the 15-17 (card is MX440 Rolling Eyes ).
And the feel was great with that wide angle view.

I hope to test it on a more powerfull pc equiped with Asus GF6800U and see how it goes.

I do belive that either way you will need a high end machine to run 4 screans and with more than one 3D view.

Ran.
MDPB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran56 wrote:
another solution to the 3 monitors with 3D view can be the T2G of Matrox.
I saw it in action on a low end pc, of course no scenery and default c 172, frames where stable and round the 15-17 (card is MX440 Rolling Eyes ).
And the feel was great with that wide angle view.

I hope to test it on a more powerfull pc equiped with Asus GF6800U and see how it goes.

I do belive that either way you will need a high end machine to run 4 screans and with more than one 3D view.

Ran.

Have a look at this review:

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/review/th2go.htm

Very interesting. Maybe worth a look.
Tomlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to that review. That's the first time Ive seen that particular review and no one to my memory has shown the ability to connect 6 monitors up to one pc in that fashion. In light of that review, here's what I am considering for a very simple generic flight sim for a side project that can be used for any aircraft.

FSX with the Shared Cockpit running

1 monitor on the left showing Pilot's panel
1 monitor on the right showing Co-Pilot's panel
3 monitors across the front showing outside view
1 monitor overhead for an overhead

According to the review listed in the link above, the guy had no problem with FPS. Of course, that was FS9 too.

My thinking is the left and right monitors can be connected via Shared Skies and the 3 across the front would be the external view for both pilots in the same box, and of course the overhead could be accessed by wireless mouse. The controls on each panel monitor would be controled independantly by it's respective pilot via Shared Skies and throttle/flaps would be controlled by a TQ in the middle (CH TQ). Each pilot will have his own CH yokes and pedals and they would be active for the co pilot if he shifted a/c command over via the Shift-T command per Shared Skies.

Does this seem doable?

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: