Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choosing switches and prioritizing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Choosing switches and prioritizing Reply with quote

Hi

While Im waiting for my SYS3 to arrive, Im in the process of reading the manual so that I can be ready to work once it's here. However, I have no switches in my possesion at this time and before I order or purchase any, I have a question or two.

1) for Korry type switches and such- How do you configure them to be momentary or On/Off? Is this a mechanical feature or a electrical feature? In other words, if you press the BATT button ON, do these Korry type switches 'lock' into a position when they are pushed, or do you just push them and it sends a signal to the sim/back out the output and lights up the LED? Or, can it be either way, just depending on the switch?

2) Im guessing that any type of toggle switch will work, as long as it's wired correctly?

3) A big question: In the case where a switch is located on the panel(s) but you dont actually simulate it but it's just there for looks, Im guessing you just buy the full switch (like a Korry type sw.) and you can obviously have the LED light up when certain conditions are met. An example would be on the Lear 45. I dont think that there is any actual Left and Right Avionics switch or Left and Right Battery function recognized by FS/fsuipc. So, you would just have one output split to TWO LEDS that would light up when you press the real switch, correct?

Thanks to all...

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) for Korry type switches and such- How do you configure them to be momentary or On/Off? Is this a mechanical feature or a electrical feature? In other words, if you press the BATT button ON, do these Korry type switches 'lock' into a position when they are pushed, or do you just push them and it sends a signal to the sim/back out the output and lights up the LED? Or, can it be either way, just depending on the switch?

Switches are typically available in "Momentary" or On/Off" (also known as Alternate). Either type sends a signal. The SYS board reads (Polls we call it) and knows what is going on.
Any LED part of this is in the logic of the software that is being interfaced to.

Quote:
2) Im guessing that any type of toggle switch will work, as long as it's wired correctly?

Correct. This one is worth a search in this forum as there was alot of discussion about that. Check Vidarf or SteveW posts.

Quote:
3) A big question: In the case where a switch is located on the panel(s) but you dont actually simulate it but it's just there for looks, Im guessing you just buy the full switch (like a Korry type sw.) and you can obviously have the LED light up when certain conditions are met. An example would be on the Lear 45. I dont think that there is any actual Left and Right Avionics switch or Left and Right Battery function recognized by FS/fsuipc. So, you would just have one output split to TWO LEDS that would light up when you press the real switch, correct?

We call this "realistic representation". The unit is there but not functional.
you can assign it andything in terms of the LEDs and when you do a "LIGHT TEST" it can be programmed to turn them on. That would be ideal. Other than that they serve no actual purpose. Eye Candy so to speak.
PC

Thanks to all...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PC.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
yagni01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
[
Quote:

We call this "realistic representation". The unit is there but not functional.
you can assign it andything in terms of the LEDs and when you do a "LIGHT TEST" it can be programmed to turn them on. That would be ideal. Other than that they serve no actual purpose. Eye Candy so to speak.
PC

This begs another question. I presume a left/right avionics switch would power specific items of equipment. As an example, can you program the radio on/off switch not to work unless the right avionics switch was on? Or in the case of left/right battery switches, either switch on would provide appropriate power. In other words, can you perform combinatorial logic to an input event (the actual switch up/down and (multi) internal variables) before actually sending a command to FS?
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my thought.. the logic is not in the switch but in the software that will habdle the logoc like pm systems or AST software..

So far i know they will handle this in there so you cant start your engines if you dont have bleed running as well.. (example)

Interface IT will get the switch to work and send the correct signal to the logic software behind this or direct to the FS system.

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: