Is there such a thing as a virtual SYS board for testing?

This Forum is designed to support and assist in the use of any/all FDS related Interface products.

Moderators: Curtis, Jetcos

yagni01

Is there such a thing as a virtual SYS board for testing?

Post by yagni01 »

Before I purchase, I wanted to check out the capabilities of the InterfaceIT software, but find I can't try any configurations without an actual board. Is there something you guys use for testing that would emulate a sys board for InterfaceIT to find?

Thanks.

pcos
Site Admin

Manual

Post by pcos »

At this point the manual or asking questions out here is the best resource.
Its desigend primarily for high/level input/output. There are way to go beyond that and we have been discussing that sort of thing.
there is not magical "do everything" interface setup out here that does it all on one card.. The SYS boards are designed to be very good at covering a wide array of applications .....
PC

bwr014

Post by bwr014 »

Maybe if you would give a indication of the configuration you had in mind we could see how realistic that would be to get that worked out with the sysboards..

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com

yagni01

Post by yagni01 »

bwr014 wrote:Maybe if you would give a indication of the configuration you had in mind we could see how realistic that would be to get that worked out with the sysboards..
Mainly the capabilities of working with internal variables. I've looked at the manual and video, but here's a scenario for the Orbiter simulator. I have a reaction control system button to fire a thruster(send a keystroke). But for it to work , I want to make sure the fuel, oxidizer and thruster isolation valves are open. I determined that each valve would control an internal variable that would activate annunciators but I couldn't determine if it was possible to:
1. continually send keypresses when thruster switch is "on"
2. send keypress(es) only if switch on and all valves open.
3. stop sending keypresses if switch off OR ANY needed valve closed.

Basically, can an action can be controlled not just by a single state change, but by specific state combinations of internal variables.

Thanks.

pcos
Site Admin

PC

Post by pcos »

If I may Ask....
Why would the the software not contain any of this logic?
That is the typical approach in use for the most part out here.
In the "Old Day" the EPIC CARD users went this way and wrote all this logic into the cards. The key point for the SYS cards was to eliminate that approach and simplify the interface end of things.
My hunch is this should be done in the software..
Especially when you say "Action" only when "Action" is on...
PC

yagni01

Post by yagni01 »

Hey Peter,

The simple answer is the Orbiter program focuses on the actual physics of spaceflight, as well as aerodynamic flight. From a flight perspective, it is normal enough wrt other flight sims. From a systems standpoint, the public interface is extremely rudimentary. Each spacecraft is unique and closed source and the interface available through the OrbiterSDK doesn't address these issues. As I'm not geek enough to find every memory location of interest, I will be creating some spacecraft addons that my panels can communicate with; so the software to do what I'm asking about hasn't been written yet. I'm trying to determine the boundaries of what I'll have to write and what capabilities in terms of 'systems' knowledge can be held in the FDS config files. I looked at the EPIC card, and I may take another look at it, but I like your product because it has a lower cost of entry, wiring is simpler, and what I read about InterfaceIT.

I don't want system logic determined by panel switch positions, at least long-term, but I was hoping I could begin building and using some 'non-basic' complexity panels and flying them while I was writing my spacecraft with the intended interface (the reason I asked elsewhere what techniques could be used to have InterfaceIt talk to software other than FSUIPC).