Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Impression of SYS3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: First Impression of SYS3 Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Well, last night I sat down and started playing with my new SYS3 board and I have to say that I am very impressed. Things started off a bit confusing, but in due time Im sure that will be cleared up. FDS' parts and SYS cards do not need anymore 'validation' but since I am so happy with the new board, I decided I would give a very brief overview of what I did last night and the one issue I ran in to.

I sat down at 09:25 PM and began thumbing thru the manual and by 10pm I had the first toggle (SPST) connected. Going by the example in the book, I found what I suspect is a slight discrepancy that is most likely due only to the software being updated in how it displays available offsets. The example tells how to connect a toggle switch and how to connect it to the Panel Lighting functin and uses this example to discuss 'bits' and in the example it shows various parts of the lighting offsets and their associated bits. However, in the most current software download, there are no multiple choices to select (that I found) but it actually shows the individual lights. So, I chose bit '5' for the panel light function, and I ran into this issue that the toggle would actually turn on the NAV, TAXI, and the Panel Lights instead of just the Panel Light per the example. So, I was a bit confused and frustrated, but decided to move on and try another function. I simply went into the software, changed switch 1's assignment to the Battery Master, following the same directions (but no bit variable changes needed this time) and VOILA! It worked like a charm. By 10:25PM I had repeated the same steps for an additional 2 switches for the AP Master Switch and the Avionics Master Switch and VOILA! it worked great again. I cant say how awesome it was to see my Project Magenta RJ software spring to life on it's monitor when I turned on the Avionics Master switch. One hour later, and I have a good understanding of how to get started interfacing. You cant beat that with a stick!

The InterfaceIT software makes this all very simple. Of course, I havent gotten into wireing more complecated switches such as a 3 position toggle yet, but Im sure in time it will be easy as cake.

I am very glad that I got the SYS3 board, and look forward to populating it with many more switches for my Lear project over the next several weeks and months.

I am now wondering how momentary switches will be implemented. According the the L45 manual, the Battery switches are momentary, and of course I understand that when pressed, it will send a request to light up the lights or to extinguish them depending on their requested 'state' but will the momentary function allow the battery to remain 'ON' or to be ON only while being pressed? I havent gotten this far yet, but look forward to seeing it work out.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Switch Logic Reply with quote

Quote:
I am now wondering how momentary switches will be implemented. According the the L45 manual, the Battery switches are momentary, and of course I understand that when pressed, it will send a request to light up the lights or to extinguish them depending on their requested 'state' but will the momentary function allow the battery to remain 'ON' or to be ON only while being pressed? I havent gotten this far yet, but look forward to seeing it work out.

this is a software function....
the logic of your L45 does this.
Same for all aircraft types.....
When the APU is on.... in an A320 for example.. the software triggers the LED to be on.. the SYS board sees that and fires up the right LED.
In a B737NG it is a gauge.. The software triggers the gauge to move the needle to the ON position....

ON/OFF switches are the same.... When they are turned ON.. the software sets the annunciation..
The switch is there to TELL the software to do this.
PC
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Also Reply with quote

Keep in mind that 90% of the SYS users are able to use existing XML files that were created for the various aircraft types.
For 90% of the users they are IMPORTING these functions and assigning. NO need to understand ANY CODE at all.
You are doing a new type and on a fresh path that has no footprints to follow.. Same for the odd other builder that is going that route.. EMB145 or CRJ builders for example would be creating their own XMLs.
PC
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Switch Logic Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
Quote:

this is a software function....
Same for all aircraft types.....
When the APU is on.... in an A320 for example.. the software triggers the LED to be on.. the SYS board sees that and fires up the right LED.
In a B737NG it is a gauge.. The software triggers the gauge to move the needle to the ON position....

ON/OFF switches are the same.... When they are turned ON.. the software sets the annunciation..
The switch is there to TELL the software to do this.
PC

Actually, I am a bit worried about this simply because the default L45 *I think* treats these as On/Off switches instead of Momentary. I just want to know and be able to make this work since the default software is all that there is out there for a rare a/c such as this. However, maybe what you are saying

(this is a software function....
Same for all aircraft types..... )

...then maybe it's just a matter of connecting the switch and assigning the variable? I will play with some momentary switches tonight and see what happens!

Also, I realise that I am beating a new path here and Im not too worked up on that part of not having previously created profiles, because as I see it, it may be a way to give back to the community once I get it all figured out and can make it available.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not so worried about LEDs as I am about Momentary switches being able to send the 'ON' state instead of just 'ON' when pressed. In looking back over your reply PC, I think you were more referring to the LEDs lighting up, correct?

Thanks again,

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Easy now... Reply with quote

you are worrying too much.. Far too much. Keep playing. You will find this board does not care that much about the states. It is looking for changes and then the software has to take some responsibility..
My bet is that everything you are trying to achieve is do-able.
Check also on the various XMLs that are already done.. Landing Gearr example on the B747 is direct to FS. Can be used..
All sorts.
PC

Last edited by pcos on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Do!

Thanks,

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
PaulWood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know that my wife isn't the only one who thinks I'm odd Very Happy

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
bwr014

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Eric,

The Airbus have a couple of momentary switches in the overhead and glarewing section.

They work here without any probs and you can assign them just the same way if it would be a push button or toggle switch.. The logic of the software will need to pick it up and then knows what to do with it.

If everything is ok de software of the logics will also have to send a signal back again to the board to put something out again without hitting the switch again. ( like the APU start for instance we have in the overhead) Light goes automatic on when pushed the switch but will go out again ones you put the APU master out without hitting the apu start switch again. ( all in the logics, the sysboard only respons on the signales it reviece again)

Playing arround is best way to do and nice part of the InterfaceIT software is that you dont need to save stuff first just fill in the info and it will respond direct when things are filled in correct.

Succes

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
fschulz18

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a hardware solution you could use a switch like this:

Alternate Action Pushbutton Switch
http://www.apem.com/pdf/4700-4800-B.pdf

The button returns to the upper position after actuation. So it will look like a momentary switch regarding the physical button position. But it acts like a on-off type.

Regards

Falk

EDIT BY PC: Not sure I follow this comment. Looking at this PDF it is either a momentary or Alternate (On/OFF). Not sure why this would be required based on what was being asked. Trying to avoid any confusion by commenting here. the point of this thread was Eric trying to understnad how the SYS board will act with a momentary switch, Eric seemed to think you needed to hold it in for it to be functioning. This is not the case. As Frans and I both stated the logic of the software needs to be involved. SYS software will see the switch activated in momentary fashion and tell the software that it was. the Software logic will change the state of that switch... any switch works this way with the SYS boards regardless of type. PLEASE SEE: http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2979&start=15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: