Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDS-SYSX cards & Seven Segment Displays....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: FDS-SYSX cards & Seven Segment Displays.... Reply with quote

Hi All,

does anyone know if the FDS-SYSX cards can be used to drive seven segment displays.

Maybe by connecting 7 digital outputs to a single digit? ....This seems an inefficient use of the card - anyone know of a better way?

thanks,
Ryan.
brissydave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i/o movements for the world of flightsim are offset based, that is the answer in a nutshell. there are offsets that describe a digital display in numerals but not an individual offset for an individual section of a seven seg display. even then some of the displays such as land/flt alt are just "for show" and have no impact on systems.

the fds sys cards and software is a magical tool aimed at doing what nothing else can do...set up all switches and lights faster than any card can do in the worlwide cockpit scene. no programming. straight forward. six or so mouse clicks for each overhead light or switch position...thats all it takes...fricking awesome!!

so...if you can find (and interpret correctly) an offset for whatever you want to do....you can do it. otherwise no go.

offsets are like elements on the periodic table. a tabula meathod for displaying the properties of flightsim?...anyway, just like atoms you cant get around 'em.
Wink
ryanf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks brissydave.

From the documentation, I see that the FDS-SYS cards support various different numbers of digital outputs. I take this to mean for any one output, it can be on or off, thus one output to drive one led.

As per your explanation, such an LED can be turned on or off i.e. output turned on or off according to the state/value of a PM or FS offset. However, when that offset represents a boolean value, how to I get the SYS card to drive a seven segment display to show it. Is this possible at all?

I think a seven segment display is essentially seven LED's plus another maybe for a decimal point - thus would it take seven or eight SYS card outputs to drive one digit?

I have the FDS-G1 card for my glareshield which has seven segment display controllers to allow me to connect them directly. I was wondering if anything similar was available on the SYS card?

cheers,
Ryan.
brissydave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...im not sure with pm that you can decode the binary representation of a single hexadecimal digit into the seven boolean values required to display the same hexadecimal digit using a seven segment display....but i only say that because i only "scan" to find the offset i want and have not read all the small stuff. i suppose each boolean equation could be substituted by an offset if they are there? i may be wrong here...(usually am) but i thought boolean logic had a direct correspondance with producing results from a decoder circuit that might determine whether a segment is logic one (on) or logic zero (off).

sounds like you are studying code or logic or something at uni?

what digital values were you thinking of displaying?

(to everyone else..dont be scared you dont need to know any of this)

Last edited by brissydave on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
ryanf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of the RMP tuned frequency values and the TCAS transponder code and rudder trim indication etc on the A320 pedestal.

I know Peter plans a PnP RMP for the A320 but I don't know how soon that will be out.

/Ryan.
vidarf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not intend to spit in anyones backyard here, but the solution for seven segment magic is as far as I know Opencockpits.com.
But be aware: Even though they have a relatively cheap interface solution that covers a LOT of solutions (servo's, stepper motors, relays...), they are NOT easy to set up!
That is why I ordered interface cards from FDS. I will use Opencockpits cards for the areas where FDS-SYS cards can't help me.

Peter, if this post isn't okay with you - please delete it!
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: 7 Seg Reply with quote

7 Segment displays are technically no different than wiring up announciators...
Each "segment" of the display has to be connected and instructed...
You need to map that out and then start wiring and Assigning..
that is not a problem to do as far as what you want. Its not likely different than any other interface where you "manually" connect 7 seg displays.
I can understand the Rudder Trim.. the RMP? I think PnP is the way to go.
Totally..
PC
ryanf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter.

No doubt - I will be going with PnP RMP when it is available.

Thanks for the help guys.
/Ryan.
maytham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to open this topic again,

As Iam still new in building sim, unfortuantly FDS-G1 card is not available now as it's not shown in the website. Iam wondering if I can use the FDS-SYS card to cover all the glare and MIP. However, is possible to run the 7segment of the FCU? I've looked in the manual of the SYS but nothing show an explantion for the 7segment.
I understand it's a value but how to configrate it?

Maytham
A340
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Not Really Reply with quote

The SYS Card is not an ideal approach. You need Rotary Encoders as well as 7 Segment display.
It can be done but you are going to have to add alot of items and go far beyond what the SYS cards were designed to do.
Not a shortfall of the card. Wrong application really.
Same for folks wanting to use Real aircraft parts and the SYS boards. Can be done but not really what we intended. We are trying to cover that huge group of folks that need simplicity on the INPUT/OUTPUT portion of this.
Email on the FDS-G2 and I can talk to you about some options.
PC
maytham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The email on it's way

Maytham
A340
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: