Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IterfaceIT Sys cards questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olympic260

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: IterfaceIT Sys cards questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I am thinking of bying soem of the cards to interface my cockpit. Before I do I would like to ask some questions, on some I have some answers.

1) On this post

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2780&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dim

if I understand correctly it is needed to add a diode and a resistor in order to have the dual state annunciators where these are needed. Is this the case? Isn't the dual stage read by the PM Systems directly?

2) I want to utilise the dim/bright/test switch on the MIP, the test function is ok. In order to have the dim/bright i will add a resistor before the dim LED. After that do I simply add a different xml file in the application. So I will have two files one for dim one for bright corresponding where the switch is correct? Finaly would I need diodes in this case also?

I am planning to have two LED per annunciator so i will connect them to one output in parallel.

Chris
bwr014

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i wonder if this will work..

The cards are made to drive a led or a switch not sure how it will behave if you put all kind of resistors with them and connect leds in combination with each other..

But ok i assum the Boeing guys that have done the same maybe can shine some light on this for you Smile

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Not So Reply with quote

Putting a Resistor on the "Bright/DIM" switch assumes that the entire wiring of the LEDs is going through that switch.
That is not the case.
The "Test" mode is possible and already set up.
"Bright" is functional as that is "normal state".
Dimming would not be possible.
If each card was feeding direct power to each LED and you could vary the voltage.... you could do that. Not sure it would be a very cost effective interface that does that though.
The beauty of the SYS1 card is the capability of 256 LED outputs. All from USB..
The "Bright/Dim" annunciators that we discussed in that post are a good indication. If we could adjust teh voltage we could lower the brightness.
PC
PatrikM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2) I want to utilise the dim/bright/test switch on the MIP, the test function is ok. In order to have the dim/bright i will add a resistor before the dim LED. After that do I simply add a different xml file in the application. So I will have two files one for dim one for bright corresponding where the switch is correct? Finaly would I need diodes in this case also?

You could actually set up a dim test using a separate internal variable for this.
Make a new internal variable named lighttestdim and assign it to the corresponding light test switch position.
Then for each one of the dim LED output you just add this internal variable to the action. (Dont forget to remove the internal variable for bright test if you are loading configurations from .xml´s)

This way you would have correct function of the test switch.

Hope this helps!

Patrik
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Not Sure On this Reply with quote

Patrik,
How would you actually "lower the voltage" going to the LEDs?
Not sure this is possible as you describe.
It assumes the SYS boards will alter the output voltage. Not the case.
PC
vidarf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing resistor and two outputs here? One output for dim, one for bright (both connected to the same LED's). Naturally, the bright output can't be assigned to the same internal variable we're using for light test (which will be the dim state). Thus creating a second internal variable which will be triggered via another input (light test bright) will do the magic for ya.
I don't know if it will be necessary, but adding a diode (the kind that don't light up and only let juice to flow one way) to the two outputs will make sure no "false signals" will occur elsewhere. Allways a good idea to make sure that the power can't go where we don't want it.

Chris, this can be done but you should learn more about how the SYS cards works. No rocket science, but things need to be done a certain way.
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Dual Bright LEDs Reply with quote

Vidarf has it exactly.
Think of this as two devices.
One Bright Device and one Dim...
If you wire two outputs to the same device you will create all sorts of interesting results (none that you want!).
IF you use the Diode approach as we illustrated you can achieve the result you want and not have any trouble.
PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: