Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Anti-Glare Glass for Displays & Guages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A320East

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Using Anti-Glare Glass for Displays & Guages Reply with quote

Thought I'd share something I tried with my MIP displays, MCDU's and standby's and was very happy with. It's a small detail but one that I think gives a lot of added realism.

I was never happy with the look of the LCD screen surface of the displays and standby instruments. In real a/c they're all covered with optically coated glass to reduce reflections and allow everything to be seen in daylight & sunlight.

I tried to source glass like this through industrial glass suppliers but had no luck. A search on ebay after a brainwave yielded the glass I was looking for used in computer monitor anti-glare filters! The kind I bought were high quality 3M units made of optically coated glass - it has that bluish surface tint when you view it at an angle to the light. The specific model I used was a 3M EF200XXLBI but several companies make filters using similarly coated glass. I cut the filters up with a $2.00 glass cutter and installed them behind my MIP panels with heavy aluminum duct tape, directly to the back of the plastic MIP. People who see the sim say it adds 1000% to the realism of the displays. I find it also makes the LCD's look better, especially at night... The blacks are blacker, have less flare, and the displays now have some depth to them. The standby guages also look great. I also took the acrylic lenses out of my FDS MCDU's and replaced them with the anti-glare glass - they look fantastic.

Make sure you are buying filters made of "optically coated" glass - not just tinted plastic or tinted glass. I think I paid about $80.00 for 4 filters shopping on ebay. The better filters like the 3M EF series are more expensive but can be found with a little dilligence.
vidarf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just need too see some pictorial evidence to support your allegations. Sorry, but that's how it is.
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Rob Reply with quote

Rob Howard pointed us this way awhile back and his feeling was the same as Chris'. Rob felt that there was simply no going back once he installed this anti-glare material.
Cost is the issue at our end as mentioned in Chris' post. 80.00 cost adds a great deal when you are doing 6 Frames and stbys, Clocks etc..
I will study this though.
Thanks for mentioning this Chris. Its a great post.
PC
warvet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vidarf,
Just a question what makes you think or even gives you the inclination that Chris gives a Rats Hairy Turd whether or not your convinced or satisfied with his findings to the point where you feel he MUST provide you visual evidence = ( Chris's personal time to photo and save and process and upload) all so your satifaction can be met. hmmmmmm im thinking maybe the arctic winds are blowing to cold on your head and freezing your brain Vidarf lol Twisted Evil Twisted Evil srry but thats just how it is Smile Very Happy Twisted Evil
....by the way "Gledelig Jul!!!" Very Happy

Tim
A340
Canada
dcutugno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rob Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
Rob Howard pointed us this way awhile back and his feeling was the same as Chris'. Rob felt that there was simply no going back once he installed this anti-glare material.
Cost is the issue at our end as mentioned in Chris' post. 80.00 cost adds a great deal when you are doing 6 Frames and stbys, Clocks etc..
I will study this though.
Thanks for mentioning this Chris. Its a great post.
PC

Peter Put it as an OPTION it will be great to have those clear displays!
A320East

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim - thanks for getting my back buddy....!!

Vidarf - sorry if you feel roughed up - I hope things scab over soon - I forgot to let everyone know that I hired Tim to be my personal spokesperson.... so beware!

I wanted to include a picture or two in my original post but the problem I had was taking a picture showing the nature of anti-glare glass.... kind of like trying to find a snow ball in a snowstorm. Anyway - I'll try to get some representative pic's this weekend. Suffice it to say I felt it makes a huge difference - the only problem now is keeping all the little oily fingerprints off the displays as everyone feels compelled to touch them. - same problem they have in the real world Laughing Rolling Eyes

Peter has a point - it is only an option and your money may well be spent better elsewhere - it all depends on your priorities. If you take a little time on ebay though you might be able to find a better deal than I did. Some manufacturers only coat their filters on one side, others like the 3M EF series are coated front and back. Maybe Peter will have some luck sourcing the glass in bulk and the cost may then be quite reasonable.

Just thought I'd mention though it as it did turn out very well and I always enjoy reading the great building tips others have posted here.
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an exellent idea.

I have managed to get my own fingerprints on my plexiglas, and unfortunately it was super-glue on my fingers then Confused

So I cant get it off without scratching the plexi badly.

I will replace the plexi with optically painted glass when time comes.

Thanks for sharing your experience A320east Smile

And happy christmas to all of you Smile
vidarf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warvet wrote:
Hey Vidarf,
Just a question what makes you think or even gives you the inclination that Chris gives a Rats Hairy Turd whether or not your convinced or satisfied with his findings to the point where you feel he MUST provide you visual evidence (...)

Well, Tim, let me put it this way: How would YOU feel if Victoria's Secret stopped publishing images of sweet liqourices wearing their products, and just TALKED about how great the thingy's look?

"The woman looks sooo hot in the enhancement thong. The cleavage is like grand canyon. She's ON FIRE!!!"
Vidar: "Then hose her down with a garden hose!"

See my point? Very Happy

Gledelig jul til deg også, Tim Smile
mauriceb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warvet wrote:
Hey Vidarf,
Just a question what makes you think or even gives you the inclination that Chris gives a Rats Hairy Turd

Tim,
I had no idea you were so observant. I mean, who the heck knew that rats had 'hairy turds' Shocked. You never cease to learn new things in this forum Smile

Maurice
A320East

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resemble that comment Maurice!! Twisted Evil

...and at such a nice time of year - shocking how heartless you are... Mad Embarassed
Tomlin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauriceb wrote:
warvet wrote:
Hey Vidarf,
Just a question what makes you think or even gives you the inclination that Chris gives a Rats Hairy Turd

Tim,
I had no idea you were so observant. I mean, who the heck knew that rats had 'hairy turds' Shocked. You never cease to learn new things in this forum Smile

Maurice

Maurice, Im STILL lauging out loud...

BTW, how are those rudder pedals that I sold you (not the ones you stole from Pete)?

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
warvet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have said hairy nuts Maurice my friend ya know the ones you always smack with that big clumsy yoke of yours everytime you lean forward to avoid the sun glare on your instruments cause you were too Friggin Cheap to go buy the cool glass that Chris started this thread talking about Smile

@ Vidarf that was pretty funny my Norwegian friend but keep working on it some day you'll be at the point where your jokes really really suck like mine and Maurices Smile Twisted Evil your just Suck but your definitely improving Smile

@Chris anytime mate Smile Smile

Merry Christmas Seasons Greetings

Tim
A340
Canada
mauriceb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warvet wrote:
I could have said hairy nuts Maurice my friend ya know the ones you always smack with that big clumsy yoke of yours everytime you lean forward to avoid the sun glare on your instruments cause you were too Friggin Cheap to go buy the cool glass that Chris started this thread talking about Smile
Tim
A340
Canada

Ah!!! The mystery is solved. I was wondering how you did your 'research' about the hairy turds, but now it's all 'clear'. You were looking at the turds through Chris's glare free glass and you could see them in all their glory. Very clever indeed. Twisted Evil

And by the way, I suffer from astigmatism and sometimes I see 2 yokes in front of me, but as long as I lean in between the two, there is no problem with my nuts Smile

Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: