Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up/shutdown computers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A320East

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK sorry for the delay in posting this - life happened.

This covers the major points, everyones setup will need to be tweaked to their own tastes. If I've messed anything up please someone jump in and correct me.....

"One Button Startup Configuration"

1) Firstly you will have to adjust each computers BIOS parameters so that the computers start up when AC power is first applied. This will allow you to use a powerbar or similar item to apply AC to all machines simultaneously with just one switch. As all computers differ as to their BIOS's and how to access them, you'll have to figure out the specifics for yourself.

2) This also takes for granted that most or all of your machines are setup to operate as "headless" units that run with or without keyboards and mice attached as required.

On the Server (FS) Computer:
1) Place a shortcut to FS in the startup folder so that it starts FS when the computer starts.

2) Your FS config file should be adjusted to bypass the greeting screen and go directly to your default flight situation. In my case this is with the A/C sitting at the gate in Halifax cold and dark. In your FS config file change the line in the [Starup] section "Show_Opening_Screen=1" to "Show_Opening_Screen=0". Save your specific flight situation as the default flight.

3) Modify the [User] section of the WideServer.ini file as follows:

[User]
Log=Errors+
AllowShutdown=Yes

Make sure the copy of WiderServer.ini you modify is the one which you placed into the FS "modules" folder.

On the Client Computers:
1) Put a Wide Client shortcut in your startup folder so that it starts automatically when the computer starts.

2) Modify the [User] section of the WideClient.ini file on each client as follows:

[User]
Log=Errors+
RunReady1=C:\PMMCDU\MCDU.exe
RunReady2=C:\FCU\FCU.exe
CloseReady1=Yes
CloseReady2=Yes
AllowShutdown=Yes

The RunReady commands will differ depending on what the computers function is in the network. The above example is typical of the machine that runs my PM MCDU (CDU) and my PM FCU (MCP). Any program started from a RunReady command will not start until the FS server computer has stabilized and FS begins to serve the WideFS cients.

The CloseReady commands allows WideClient to shut down each of the programs it started up with the associated RunReady command.

The AllowShutdown command will let WideFS shut down your computers from the MCDU (CDU) generated "Shutdown All Computers" command. If you have PM Instructor it also allows shutdown from within that program.

Summary:
Using this configuration your clients will boot, start WideClient then do nothing until FS has started and loaded your default flight at which time you will see all your clients starting to run their respective applications as per the RunReady commands.

When you use the "Shutdown All computers" command your machines will close their programs and shutdown. After all the machines have shutdown you can flick off the master AC power switch.

PS: Maurice - still working on the remote for you buddy - having trouble sorting out the USB interface for the wired remote control.....
mauriceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, anxious for the remote part Smile. But man, you must be extremely lazy to have gone through all this trouble figuring it out all of this. I guess laziness can be the mother of all inventions Wink

Myself, I would have been too lazy to try & figure out the procedure & suffered consequences for the rest of my simulator 'career'. But procrastination has payed off for me many times. Others will do it for you (like what happened here) or you won't need to do it at all (even better) Laughing

Maurice
ps. Do feel free to share any other labour saving procedures. I promise to be very receptive and not abuse you verbally Wink (crosses fingers)
A320East

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Maurice.... what can be said that hasn't already been chucked at you?

Labour saving...hmmmmm - I have an Airbus - the whole thing is built for comfort.... and with the new Dual EFIS/FCU that I just received from Peter it's even easier to fly!!

---oh yes! Labour saving.... chuck out that Boeing paper weight you're building and start an A320! You'll be glad you did!
Twisted Evil Razz

Last edited by A320East on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mauriceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A320East wrote:

---oh yes! Labour saving.... chuck out that Boeing paper weight your building and start an A320! You'll be glad you did!
Twisted Evil Razz

DAMN!!!! Evil or Very Mad I walked right into that one Rolling Eyes . Must fortify my defenses.

Maurice
mauriceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon all you lazy bus drivers will be out of a job. Even the autopilot might become obsolete.

Maurice
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: A320 Quirk Reply with quote

One of the "quirky" things in the A320 Design is seen here in this pic...
Look at the Window Ledge, Cup Holder.. you can see why the pilots hate that placement.... Bank the aircraft enough and ......
Right into your Chart/Map pocket below.. Nice......!

PC
A320East

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye Pete!

That's why I placed my cupholders to the rear outboard corner of my sidestick boxes!

...now to get the pressure switches calibrated properly so that I can have a "Low Beer" ECAM message generated before disaster strikes in the middle of an approach...
mauriceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A320 Quirk Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
One of the "quirky" things in the A320 Design is seen here in this pic...
Look at the Window Ledge, Cup Holder.. you can see why the pilots hate that placement.... Bank the aircraft enough and ......
Right into your Chart/Map pocket below.. Nice......!

PC

Right now I'd be more concerned about the whole tray emptying on top of the throttle, CDU or FCU or whatever this thing is called in an Airbus Smile.

Maurice
Badge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont let you bank.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vidarf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ONE of the reasons why 'bus pilot only get these:

But not the most important reason...

(I must seriously stop bashing european products!)
bwr014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For AST (airbus) users check out this doc :

http://www.airsimtech.com/FileLib/iCFG.pdf

scroll to page 12 and see a nice example of shutdown your system with one click.. Smile

works very nice..

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
A320East

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very slick!
warvet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Chris Very Happy
Tim
A340
Canada
DaveA330

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris for taking the time to post the startup config.
Thanks Frans for pointing out the AST functionality. The more I hear about AST the more I inch closer to buying.

Maurice.... just the fact that you are looking at Airbus pictures tells me you are getting weak at the knees and will soon be a bus driver.

Dave
mauriceb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveA330 wrote:

Maurice.... just the fact that you are looking at Airbus pictures tells me you are getting weak at the knees and will soon be a bus driver.

Dave

That will be a frosty Sunday in July in the Ecuador when that happens. You have to observe the opposition to study its weaknesses, and there is so much material in these pictures Twisted Evil .

Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: