Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OFFSETS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: OFFSETS Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am at a bit of a loss here. FDS is building a complete deck for me and I can’t tell you how excited I am about it. IS IT HERE YET Rolling Eyes

In conversation with PC we talked about an operational pressurization panel, which is not supported by “InterfaceIT” since it would require a rotary encoder. This would lead to products such as Phidgets. This is where my question comes in. I have been seeing many references to “OFFSETS” both FSUIPC and Project Magenta. In both PM & FSUIPC documentation there are long lists of them. OK?

What are they? How does one use them, say with Phidgets? Let say I purchased a Phidget card & rotary encoder, ok now what? How would I access these thingies to have a functional 7 segment display ( Flight Alt, Landing Alt) pressurization panel.

I have never come across any documentation that describes how they are used or even accessed.

I know a functional pressurization panel is just “eye candy” but so is the whole concept of a functioning flight deck. So any help or references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
KALB
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I suggest you do some reading on the interface solutions first and it must become more clear how this whole idea works..

It is a bit to much to explain that all in a couple of lines.

I am sure on the phidget site you will have manuals you can download that will explain you how to connect your hardware to their boards and how you need to use their software to make the board become funtional.

Also if you read the documents that become with the FSUIPC give already a idea how the offsets are setup and how to use them.

You just have to check out if that what you "hardware wise" want to connect also will have a offset as well. You can also find all the offsets inside the PMsystems sysfile and if so then the logic behind it will also be possible to simulate.

Just focus first on a simple switch or a led and ones you have the swing of it you also can see for the rest Smile

The advance of the FDS syscards is that you don't have to worry about the offsets you just select from the dropdown list in the interfaceIT software what function that switch or led needs to do and off you go Smile

I know phidget is a bit more complicated in that and you also need to manual put all the information in the software to get it functional. But as you mention before yourself we do not have a encoder card yet.

reading the different manuals and docs could really help you out in this and give you a indication what all is possible and how it will communicate all with each other..

Ones you have this idea it is much easer to help you out if you are looking for a offset.. but at this moment you still need to understand what to do with it and how to put it all into the software.. Pity enough each interface solutions works with there own solution so it is also not all the same..

The right study will clear up a lot of things Smile

Succes

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
Paul M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frans,
Thanks for your input. Yes your are right I do need to get on the learning curve with this one. I have spent some time at the Phidgets site and they do have a lot of information, almost overwhelming. It also seems they require learning their code to be able to interface their products. Before they restructured they had a much simpler approach, I guess nothing remains the same forever.

I did find a product that looks promising from a company called Flight Deck Technology in the U.K. Theirs seems to be a strait forward approach to installing I/O cards wiring Rotary Encoders and selecting functions. Does any one have any experience with them?

Anyway I do need to spend some time with FSUIPS & Project Magenta “offsets” as described in their manuals. But I do see light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again for your advice.
Paul
barrykensett

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth I have found the FDT cards to be very easy to use, for all the usual functions you don't need to know about offsets, like FDS cards you just choose your function from the drop-down list. The main downside of FDT is the cost. A cheaper option is the Open cockpits suite which I found a more cost effective solution for seven digit displays; the programming is more to get the head round, I was lucky to have a friend who got me started and I seem to have got the hang of it now. I also have an FDS SYS3 card which is very easy to use for switches and leds and for cost sits between FDT and Open Cockpits but as you already know it is not the solution for encoders. I looked at Phidgets but did not see particular benefits when balancing cost and ease of use; I did not buy them so someone else will need to advise on those.
Hope this helps
Barry
www.a320sim.com
Paul M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Berry,
Yes your input/experiance is worth a lot,THANKS. It is my intention to spend a little time at the Open Cockpit web site so as to make a comparison between the two systems. It appeares as you say it is a matter of cost vs. ease of use.

Thanks again for your sharing your perspective
Paul
yagni01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFSETS Reply with quote

Paul M wrote:
In conversation with PC we talked about an operational pressurization panel, which is not supported by “InterfaceIT” since it would require a rotary encoder. This would lead to products such as Phidgets. This is where my question comes in. I have been seeing many references to “OFFSETS” both FSUIPC and Project Magenta. In both PM & FSUIPC documentation there are long lists of them. OK?

I haven't seen software for Phidgets that ties it to FSUIPC. A more straightforward solution would probably be a RP-48 remote kit from GoFlightInc. It can drive 4 rotaries and has software to use FSUIPC.

HTH
Paul M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yagni,

You have an interesting idea using Go Flight products. I had not even given them a thought. The funny part is I am sitting next to a Go Flight pedestal as I write. DUH!!

Thanks I will look in to the functionality of using the RP-48. I am trying to create a functioning pressurization panel for the FDS overhead. So yes I will look into it

Cheers
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: