Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curved Screen Built, Need Projectors!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: 3 View projectors, look here for info on .FLT Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I found some vital information that Ken posted elsewhere, so please go to this location to find an in depth explaination of the elusive .FLT file information. Thank you Ken for posting this...

Here is the link:

http://nthusim.com/forum-topic/multiple-undocked-views-fs2004-or-fsx

John
XOrionFE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Views... Reply with quote

John Combs wrote:
Scott,

I just re-read your last posting and as I did follow it with the resolutions settings already, but what I just noticed is your using a single view in full screen, is that correct. Or, are you using the three or five view approach?

John

hello John,

Mine is 3 views each showing 70 degrees. Not 1 view. Some of my first pictures were before I undocked and did the 3 but it is 3 now.

Here is a video I just did recently if you happened to miss it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyh6XRPz_bY

Scott[/url]
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about sounding like a arrogant ass in my earlier post here, but I really do get alot of "Can I have this, can you do that" emails. Most of them are from people I have never heard of.

But even from people I have heard of or know, it is alot easier and for sure alot more fun to help when people have shown me something of what they have achieved.

I do reply to people that have at least tried to do something, and asks about "the issue" that is stopping them from getting them where they want.

But as always I prefere to point into the "right direction" rather than making a step by step to something that might not be what they want.

Smile
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: No worries my friend... Reply with quote

Ivar,

You didn't sound bad, you were just being honest. As I totally understand how trying this hobby can be with our own personal frustrations, and then have those of others compund them. We all do try to help each other and I know you have a lot.

Therefore you, like others might get what we used to call it while I was in college...BURN OUT. After so many times of trying to help the new people or lower classmen, you start to feel like a recording machine, and then later you realize if you have to say that same thing one more time, you'll explode. Okay, so it's something like that.

Plus, I probably should had said more in my post, as that I am this far and I need some help; in which case, that is where I was. I had things going and alignments done, but things just didn't seem right. Like I emailed Scott about earlier, it seems that when banking things go out of alignment easily and the matter about how an image (cloud, building, AI aircraft) that goes from one projector to the next is out of timing between each other.

I thought maybe it was all to do with the .FLT file and just needed to see someone's file that actually works properly to compare it too, in regards to how the numbers play out...the positives and negatives, etc and etc. Scott is sending me a copy of his, as I have sent him mine. Maybe, I can post mine later and you can look it over if you'd like?

I can tell you I know how you feel, and I really mean that. I just spent the last 18 hours doing nothing but playing, adjusting, reading, cursing, emailing, posting and more cursing about the projectors, Immersaview, alignments and all...ahhh, burn out!

Anyway, I'm off to bed for now and will likely start again tomorrow. I know I do need to post some pictures though because even Peter and Steve have yet to see my setup. I need to do that soon.

Finally, as I tend to get long winded sometimes, I'll end with a cool breeze, by saying it's all cool Ivar, I...no scratch that, we all respect what you do a great deal, so thank you and no worries my friend.

John

Oh by the way, I always forget to ask. Do you still have that lazy cat of yours that was still chasing the dogs back in 2008/2009? You and I used talk about him a lot... Is it still a part of the flight simulation project; oh okay, is it still playing the "I'm just here watching what you're doing because your noise is waking me up from my Cat Nap" type cat? I haven't heard much about it or seen it in any recent pictures like days in the past...
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it there John.

Sometime I do feel like an recording machine Laughing And that happens to a lot of us. My first idea of your issue, is the zoom setting might be off.

But also check that all the parameters under each "current window" is identical on all undocked windows.

I can give you guys a superior frame rate tip here also. Pay attention to your current frame rate. Then go into your FLT file and set the zoom to 192 on your "top-down" view. Start up the same flight again, and watch your frame rate increase very noticable. I got between 5 to 10 fps right away!!!

I did another trick a few weeks ago which worked really well except for one annoying issue. I set the very wide background to normal fwd view, and undocked only two windows. Left and right side, which mean I had a 225 degree with the active window in the middle. But when flying, I got the "th2go runway light issue on the center" and not on the sides. Very annoying but it raised the fps approx 25%.

There is a lot of playing to do in your FLT file.....

Smile
XOrionFE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you replace your halo.bmp files Ivar? That solves the runway light bloat. Not sure if that is the problem you are referring to. Excellent tips though. I will have to give them a try today.

Scott
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not replaced the halo files. I guess if they reduce the size on the main screen, they will also be reduced on the undocked windows. And then the issue will be the same..... Lights will have different size..

But I have not tested though.

Wink
melnato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you guys dont mind me jumping in, seeing I have gone to the 'dark' side (Sol7),
but I did have a Th2Go for a while so I may be able to help.

I think there may be to much focus on this .FLT config...
besides setting the camera angle, zooms and eypoints can be adjusted "in-game" and then saved.

What is the actual "problem" you guys are having?

Nat
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Sorted... Reply with quote

Thanks Nat, it's all sorted. Anyone with questions PM me...

John
Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sorted... Reply with quote

John Combs wrote:
Thanks Nat, it's all sorted. Anyone with questions PM me...

John

We've went this far with it. Let's keep it going! Smile

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
AvSysEng

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.

First post over on these boards.

I am looking forward to trawling through the wealth of information all you chaps have posted.

I'll save an intro for another thread, so as not to hijack this one.

Suffice to say, threads like this are gold, and I hope to contribute if/where I can.

Curved/spherical screens. Gotta love that action.

Cheers,

Gordon.
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric,

Here is some more info to keep this thread going. As I mentioned eariler, I went with the "Mits" like Scott is using and I've found them to work quite nicely. The screens are up, but there is problems with them. MDF was used and 9 each 4'x8' sections were framed up on the horizontal sides.

The entire length is 36' and height is 8', so that's two rows. The problems is the seaming of these together. Drywall joint compund was used, but due to temperature fluctuations, the joint compound starting getting hairline cracks. Plus, the screw heads never got done right, so they tend to show.

For night flights none of this can be seen, but day flights it sure does come through and ruins the immersion factor. The plan is to get screen material and place it over the MDF screens. Especially, since these MDF screens are structurally sound and have the right curvature. The question is where to get screen material (like actual projector screen-fabric of some sort) in a 38'x9' section with no seams or sewing marks (except on the edges). The extra amount is to wrap around the MDF screens.

As for the FLT file, I did play with that a lot and thanks to Ivar, Scott and others, it's usable, but not 100% complete. I still need to make adjustments to the NTHUSIM grid, the projector aiming and the FLT file of course. Here is what I did:

1. I used the Window Maker program (mentioned earlier in this thread or find it here- http://home.comcast.net/~wledzian1/WindowMaker.xls) to determine the zoom values. The thing about this is, which camera view is being used (virtual view, 2D view, etc). That is found by the GUID value.

2. With Window Maker, you figure it out by entering the values in COL B, and Row 15, 18 and 21. Once you enter this you'll get the view in degrees and zoom factor values for each projector calculated. I did both 180 and 225 calculations.

3. As for getting perfect aligment with three panels FSX panels, it's slow going and you have to really play with FLT file values. I used three panels rather than five panels. Five really slowed the FSX frame rates down. Also, I didn't come up with anything for edge blending...yet.

Finally, I did use Universal Mounts made for the projectors that brought them down 8 inches from the ceiling. The projectors are roughly 6-7 feet from the screens (located above the Throttle Assy...much like Ivars).

I did take pictures and shot some video of all this, but haven't been able to get time to post them. Now that Christmas is over, I should be able too. Although, Karen got me a new Ipad to use for an EFB, so it might be a little longer. I have to get over drooling on that.

If anyone has questions, please post them here. I do think this is a good thread, so the more information the better...

Best Regards,

John
mauriceb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Combs wrote:
Karen got me a new Ipad to use for an EFB, so it might be a little longer. I have to get over drooling on that.

John

Hi John,

An Ipad for an EFB?? If you ever get that to work, I'd love to hear how you did it. My wife just got an Ipad and she is really not thrilled with it. She thought she would use that as a replacement for her old PC but the Ipad does not replace a PC. You really need both.

Anyway, perhaps there is an EFB app that you load on the Ipad. If there is, I will confiscate her Ipad and get a her a new PC instead Very Happy

Good to see you are making good progress with your displays. I'm just now beginning to play with it (projectors on the floor) and I finally got to see the 3 screens lit up with the demo Nthusim software. So far so good but I won't get my full license from Nthusim until I build my new PC. Anyway, it was nice to finally see full 225 degrees visuals with 3 undocked windows. Now the hard part of lining everything up and mounting to the ceiling. Really not looking forward to that.

Maurice
N737AG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since it came out, I have used the iPAD in real flight as well as for the sim. There is amazing software out there for flight planning, weather briefing, NAV charts, approach plates, etc.. It is an amazing tool.

You are right though, Maurice : an iPAD is not a PC. But with the right software you can achieve great things.

Axel
mauriceb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N737AG wrote:
Ever since it came out, I have used the iPAD in real flight as well as for the sim. There is amazing software out there for flight planning, weather briefing, NAV charts, approach plates, etc.. It is an amazing tool.

You are right though, Maurice : an iPAD is not a PC. But with the right software you can achieve great things.

Axel

I guess I will encourage my wife to hate her Ipad more & more by telling her all the things it can`t do for her Very Happy

Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: