Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

InterfaceIT and PMsystems .ini file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuman5022

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: InterfaceIT and PMsystems .ini file Reply with quote

Hello folks

Have noticed a line on PMSytems.ini file saying: InterfaceITenabled=0

Do we need to change it to be active ? (interfaceITenabled=1)

How does this line effect InterfaceIT ?

Thanks

Isaac
melnato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried setting 0/1 to see what happens? Wont kill anything Very Happy
Sorry, dont use PM anymore but I would just try both values to see what difference it makes....contacted Enrico?

Nat
neuman5022

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Nat

So far it works without it, but perhaps it will be a good idea to try.

Lately I have some issues with my PMSystems, so did a full install and when going into the ini file I have found this line.

Sometimes when something goes wrong I loose all connection between PMSystems and InterfaceIT, and nothing works unless reload EVERYTHING from scratch, so I figured out I will ask.

Since this is a InterfaceIT issue - I thought it would better to ask here first, but it might be a good idea to see what Enricho has to say about it.

Cheers

Isaac
melnato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger....
Could be USB/Hub or PM Systems itself.
InterfaceIT usually doesn't stop communicating...
maybe even FSUIPC... Or even the sequence in which you start software ...
list of suspects goes on

Nat
neuman5022

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nat

Well, It works when I start up - only when somethings go wrong I cannot re- connect. Say in mid flight, I could never do anything to bring the logic back no matter what I do. Question

Latest FSUIPC, PM, and I load FSX-WideClient-PMSystems then IT.

I have 3 SYSboards on one PC, 2xSys1 and One Input - can it be that it is too much for one PC to handle ? (it is XP one)

I need to find a way to let me know if PMSyatems and IT are connected and working properly, then I might look somewhere else.

I will keep on investigating, but need your help to eliminate some factors in order to narrow down the causes.

Masny thanks

Isaac
Jon Boe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more SYS cards on a single XP computer so that should not be your problem.

To see if PMSystems and interfaceIT are connected and working just press a button or throw a switch. For example, turn the park brake on and off and see if the EICAS changes state to show the brake on or off.

Jon
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: It's your USB HUB... Reply with quote

Hey Issac,

I had that very same problem about 18 months ago and I spent weeks trying to figure out what it was. The problem is more than likely your USB HUB is a version 1.x and/or you have a mismatch with the USB type in your computer. If the computer is a 2.x or higher and the USB HUB is lower, you need to change your HUB to match.

However, this could also be a USB Cable length issue, if you're not using a USB HUB between the card and the PC with PMSystems. I actually changed both the cable and hub because I was using a long cable with a mismatched hub. In any case, the problem was gone!

Make sure your hubs are powered hubs also.

Check that out and post back...

John
neuman5022

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks heaps for your support guys !

John, I think you have nailed it. I have an OLD XP PC (my oldest) that runs PMSYSTEMS, MCDU and SYS3 card.

On another PC (newer) I have another 3 SYSboards with PM GC SW.

Both PCs have powered USB hubs recently bought.

I really suspect my old PC running PMSystems is 1.1. Need to check that. When inserting a memory stick to this PC, I get a note that "this unit can run faster..." but I did not pay attention to it since it worked OK.

I will test this first thing after the weekend and report back.

Many thanks

Isaac
neuman5022

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again folks,

Here is my report, I hope it will make sense to you, to see if I am making something wrong here:

My 3 sys boards (2x sys1 + inputs) sit on my #3 pc. They do the GC bit. Looking at the USB section in my XP device manager I see this:

1 line of Generic USB hub
3 lines of USB Composit Device
5 lines of USB root hub
4 lines of VIA REV5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
1 line of VIA USB Enhanced Host Controler

Does this mean I have only one USB port of the USB 2.0, or one controller that can do all my USB plugs to be 2.0 ?

On my #5 PC, I have my SYS3 and my relay card, and this PC has again only one line with the word Enhanced - Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

My #4 PC which has my PMSystems, has no Enhanced Host controller at all. My 2 USB ports I am using are for the F.I Instruments, and one for MCDU.

So one CDU is connected to a 2.0 USB Port while my MCDU is connected to 1.1 - can this cause any issues Question

This PC is really old - Processor is x86 family 15 model 2 stepping 4 GenuineIntel~2400 Mhz, and Total Physical memory of 256.00 MB ( 75.90 Available) with total virtual memory of 2.00 GB (1.96 available)

Perhaps this one is too old but I have no idea if it is, since my PC knowledge is limited.

Any assistance/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Isaac
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issac,

Okay trying to sort this, but here it goes:

PC #3 has 2 Sys and an input plugged into the computers USB directly and it would appear you have two other items plugged in, likely a mouse and keyboard. Thus, the 5 lines in the USB root. Your USB controller inside that PC #3 has an enhanced controller and most likely 1.1.

PC #5 has your SyS3 card and relay, but it has a 2.0 USB enhanced controller, so that means it will work with anything from 2.0 and backwards down to 1.0.

PC #4 has an old 1.0 controller and you're using a 2.0 Hub for the Flight Instruments and a 1.1 Hub with the MCDU. So, yes this is a major problem for the PC, as it can only understand 1.0 USB logic. Most times this is not a problem for a mouse or keyboard, but for Sys cards or simming it is. However, what I don't understand is this; you say Flight Instruments or F.I., but which card is being used to connect to your FDS Overhead switches and led's?

You do have FDS Overhead right? If so, you normally have the same computer with PMSystems being used with the SYS Card(s) that is connected to the Overhead. You can technically have the cards on one computer and PMSystems on another, but I don't known of anyone during it that way. It's better to be direct connecting too it. You can use your older computer, but you should have the faster computers being used for PMSystems and the MCP software, as they're the most demanding programs.

As for USB and HUB's, if the PC has higher, you can use lower, but it will slow both down to the slowest speed being used, so it is better to match the PC and Hub speeds. However, never go the other way because it makes for USB logic problems...

John
neuman5022

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thank your for your time and patience.

I think you are right. I guess my USBs are a mess, so bear with me a little bit longer, so I might learn something Rolling Eyes

Quote:
PC #3 has 2 Sys and an input plugged into the computers USB directly and it would appear you have two other items plugged in, likely a mouse and keyboard. Thus, the 5 lines in the USB root. Your USB controller inside that PC #3 has an enhanced controller and most likely 1.1

PC#3 - runs PM GC - two screens (capt+upper EICAS) This PC I have a powered hub, (most probably 2.0) that has the 3 FDS sysboards. I have read somewhere that "Enhanced" means USB 2.0. How do I know if the Enhanced in this PC is 1.1 or 2.0 ?

PC#2 - is the same as PC#3 - runs PM MCP + CDU.

PC#5 - runs PM GC (F/O + lower EICAS) + FDS SYS3 + Relay card via a powered USB hub (2.0).

Now to PC#4 -

Quote:
However, what I don't understand is this; you say Flight Instruments or F.I., but which card is being used to connect to your FDS Overhead switches and led's?

This OLD pc is running PMSYstems, and 2 USB items: PM MCDU + a TV out, and Flight Illusion instruments. This one does not have any sysboard,hence the connection must be via the wideclient.

So I understand you are saying that the best way would be to have PMsystems and the FDS sysboards to run on one faster PC.

Many thanks

Isaac
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: USB Info Reply with quote

Issac,

Here is a brief description on USB:

[Let's understand the USB terms in the preceding sentence. USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and USB 1.0 refer to the USB specification revision number from the USB Implementers Forum. The USB specifications define how the host PC and USB device communicate with each another.

The version number also indicates the maximum transmission speed. The newest specification revision is USB 3.0, which specifies a maximum transmission speed up to 5 Gbps. USB 1.0 defines two different data rates, low speed USB (up to 1.5 Mbps) and full speed USB (up to 12 Mbps). USB 2.0 defines a new data rate, high-speed USB (480 Mbps), while maintaining support for low and full speed devices. USB 3.0 continues to work with all of the previously defined data rates.

If you look at product packaging, SuperSpeed USB references the newest USB 3.0 devices. Hi-Speed USB is used to describe high-speed USB 2.0 devices. USB, with no descriptor, refers to low speed and full speed devices.

In addition to the USB protocol, there is a second specification for the USB host controller, the piece of hardware on the PC to which a device is connected. The Host Controller Interface specification defines how host controller hardware and software interact. The eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) defines a USB 3.0 host controller. The Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) defines a USB 2.0 host controller. The Universal Host Controller (UHCI) and the Open Host Controller (OHCI) are two, alternate implementations of a USB 1.0 host controller.]

You can read more here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487327.aspx#I_hear_USB

So, it appears that based on this:

4 lines of VIA REV5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
1 line of VIA USB Enhanced Host Controler

You have a 1.1 because it's a "Universal Host Controller" (where a Open Host Controller is 1.0), and you have a 2.0 USB Enhanced Controller, which is likely the hub (check the hub itself to see if it has 2.0 written on it).

Next, you say PC#2 is the same as PC#3? Do you mean the same in regards to the USB's being used; are both PC's using 1.1 for the onboard controller and a 2.0 for the USB Hub? If so, I think that is why you're having issues, as the PC's are slower in data rates; thereby, causing the 2.0 to slow down to match the slower rate. Like I said earlier, this is normally not a problem, unless you're using something of hi-speed data rate. For example, a thumb drive that requires 2.0 would work with the 2.0 hub, but the PC's 1.1 USB would be too slow, so it would cause conflicts. Likely, this is the same for the SYS cards; they're trying to move to much data and causing the conflict.

Since you have the three SYS boards on PC#3 and they're transferring a lot of data back and forth, it would seem that the best option would be to take the one card off that is working with your Overhead. However, you did not say if you have the FDS Overhead Setup or not, so not knowing this, I cannot say exactly...

To not cause confusion for others, I edited this post after Steve's questions below...

John

Last edited by bluskydriver on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jetcos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always use good quality powered hubs if connecting SYS cards to the PC.
neuman5022

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, yes I did listen to you, hence my 2x powered 2.0 hubs. Problem was with USB 1.1 on my PCs the hubs will not do much. Sad

John, thank you so much for your awesome support, what you say makes lots of sense, and on the way I got a very good lesson about USBs and about the need to ask all the time Very Happy

I am getting a newer PC for my PMSystems and the SYSboards (3.0 G Hz will do I reckon) and USB 2.0 across all sockets.

For the other PCs - I am getting PCI USB 2.0 cards, so I think this will do for the rest since processing and memory is not that demanding.

Hopefully all will work better now.

Cheers

Isaac
Jetcos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: InterfaceIT and PMsystems .ini file Reply with quote

neuman5022 wrote:
Hello folks

Have noticed a line on PMSytems.ini file saying: InterfaceITenabled=0

Do we need to change it to be active ? (interfaceITenabled=1)

How does this line effect InterfaceIT ?

Thanks

Isaac

Should be set to =0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: