Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

85" 4K UHDTV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: 85" 4K UHDTV Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I just went from two 42" HDTV's to an Optima EH200ST Projector. Although the projector looks nice during daytime flights, night flights look terrible. So I decided to abandon the projector idea, I'll use the projector for football. Very Happy

Looking for info from individuals that are using a 4K UHDTV with Prepar3D 2.5. I'd like to get an 85" 4K UHDTV, (the one shown below) that would be used with three Titan X's and a 4790K setup.

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Samsung-LED-HDTV-p/un85ju7100.htm

Thanks
Jammur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to spend that much on a tv you would be better with a big curved tv Wink
747sim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was particularly wrong with night time? The blacks not good?
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about those new laser projectors?
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Washed Out Look Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, night flying is unacceptable with the Optima projector. Everything is washed out, dull looking and gives the impression that it's out of focus when it's not. Looks as though the screen is smeared and it's not the lens it's clean.

As far as a curved screen, a friend has one and it looks kind of fisheye so I'll be getting a flat screen.

Just about ready to pull the trigger on the above UHDTV. Laser projector, anyone have any experience with these projectors?.
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Washed Out Reply with quote

Michael_B767_ATP wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, night flying is unacceptable with the Optima projector. Everything is washed out, dull looking and gives the impression that it's out of focus when it's not. Looks as though the screen is smeared and it's not the lens it's clean.

As far as a curved screen, a friend has one and it looks kind of fisheye so I'll be getting a flat screen.

Just about ready to pull the trigger on the above UHDTV. Laser projector, anyone have any experience with these projectors?.

I think ultimately TVs have the better color reproduction, but I could never stand the bezels and they would destroy the illusion.

Perhaps Nat could lend his expertise - I've been to his curve screen setups and they are excellent. He also created a pseudo 180 degree screen wrap with one projector.
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon's are FANTASTIC projectors, worth every cent but not in everyones budget.
Don't get fooled by published Contrast ratios by manufacturers, Canon uses the correct ANSI methods to determine specifications.
The Optoma's are excellent value and have used them in many installations, never had a complaint.

Nat
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Samsung 85" 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I pulled the trigger on a Samsung 85" 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV, it will be here Monday. I'll let you know how it looks, I'll get some videos up ASAP.

Thanks
PatSim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
I'm running a 70" Vizio 4K TV a 4790k w/ a Zotec 980 video card. It is amazing. I'm pretty sure this CPU & chip set doesn't have enough pci channels to push the bandwidth required for 3 X 4K resolution. But Intel says that the new Skylake CPU & chipset can. Would be pretty sweet to be able to run 3 X 80" 4k's with one Computer. I'm headed that direction next year. I wish I had the room for 210 deg of projectors I'm very happy with 70" of 4K for the present.

Pat
melnato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure If Mike is running one forward view (as opposed to multiple views?),
but running a true 210FOV at 1080p on one computer is a struggle, let alone @ 3x4K resolution.
If you are happy with a single forward view(and the distorted side views inherent with it) Im pretty sure you could run 3 x 4K off one computer.

Nat
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you tried prep3d views?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/452305-prepp3d-views-peripheral-distortion-correction/
melnato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, hats off to him for trying, but the degradation in image quality is not worth it. It's only "OK" till about 140FOV.
The only real solution is still multiple un-docked views.

Nat
Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Washed Out Reply with quote

[quote="OmniAtlas"]
Michael_B767_ATP wrote:

Perhaps Nat could lend his expertise - I've been to his curve screen setups and they are excellent. He also created a pseudo 180 degree screen wrap with one projector.

Is there a link to where there is more info on this please?

Thanks

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
melnato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Link in Omni's post above.

Nat
Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I thought he was referring to something different than that.

Thanks.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: