Chart / Map lights

A forum for open discussions. Feel free to discuss any and all elements of Flightdeck Building. NB: This section is for individual builders to openly discuss issues that may or may not pertain to FDS. Organizations/Political Groups or Commercial Entities Will require approval prior to posting. Prior Approval From FDS required prior to posting items for sale. No Exceptions.

Moderators: Curtis, Jetcos

Tony Flare

Chart / Map lights

Post by Tony Flare »

Dear fellow flight simmers

Where in the flight deck ist the chart light?

On the cockpit sidewalls just forward of the oxygen masks are the control panels for the chart lights and the map lights. The map lights are usually located in the eyebrow cutouts left and right oft he forward overhead panel.

But where are the chart lights (illuminating the little clipboards at the side windows)?

I have looked at dozens of cockpit pictures and can’t figure out where the chart lights are located.
Does anyone have a picture that shows where this light is actually to be found?

Next question:
Is the IBL brightness of the sidewall chart/map light panel connected to the ‚MAIN PANEL‘ dimmer knob below the Cpt PFD or is it assigned to a different dimmer knob?

Thank you all!

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

Hi Tony,

The Chart lights are for the side window chart clip. There is a light with a mirror that reflects down on the clip area. I looked for pictures as well. Had to ask once on a flight after we landed. Southwest pilot was kind enough to show me.

The IBL for each side is connected to the IBL dimmer for that side. Captain to Captain Main Panel dimmer and F/O to F/O Main Panel dimmer.
Steve Cos
Vice President and Tech Support
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)

Tony Flare

Post by Tony Flare »

I see.. couldn't really recognise it.
How do you resolve this in your setups? Do you just mount another map light above the side window?
I was fortunate enough to acquire a used OEM map light and I know these are also available as replicas by FDS. However I have never come across a mirror reflection light as described by you.

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

We don't offer them, the light and mirror are part of the sliding window. We make a Map Light panel that matches the aircraft but only supply the map lights.
Steve Cos
Vice President and Tech Support
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)