Start Switches

This Forum is designed to support and assist in the use of any/all FDS related Interface products.

Moderators: Curtis, Jetcos

baw028

Start Switches

Post by baw028 »

Hi,
Has anyone here connected Ander's start switches to the FDS HIO Relay board?
12 volts is required to operate these switches, I believe the HIO board will not provide this.Do I need something else between the HIO board and the switches?

Roger

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

Our relay acts like a switch. You connect 12V positive to the relay "Common" and the "NO" (Normally Open) then to the solenoid. Then 12V ground goes directly to the solenoid from the power supply.

Note: you can make a jumper from the Common on the 1st relay to the 2nd relay for the 12v power. Then you only need to run 1 wire.

Assign the relay in the Avionics software.

What Avionics software are you using? That will be the only info you need as each does it differently. But they all hold the solenoid in place.
Steve Cos
Vice President and Tech Support
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)

baw028

Post by baw028 »

Hi Steve,
I hoped to use Sim-Avionics to run the FDS HIO board.
Also Anders supplied 2 diodes do they go on the common connection

Thanks Roger

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

Diodes goes as close to the solenoid as you can. Make sure you connect the diode properly.

In Sim-A there is an Engine Start Output for each engine.
Steve Cos

baw028

Post by baw028 »

Thanks for the information Steve.
I now have it all connected and the HIO board is detected.
The switch side is working great

How do I assign the relays to hold the switches, I can't see how it is done?

Roger

HowardChristian

Re ANDER's START SWITCHES

Post by HowardChristian »

Hi Roger, did you end up getting these Starter Switches connected & working?

I have Sim-A & the FDS Overhead & do have an FDS Relay Card as well as the HIO Board in the Overhead.

I'm looking for info on exactly how to connect them & how to assign them; I assume in the SysBoard Controller?
Howard C.
B737-800

baw028

Post by baw028 »

Hi Howard,
No cannot get them working correctly. When I operate them the SysBoard controller software reboots itself. They are easy to assign from the SysBoard controller software, just like any other switch.

Roger

HowardChristian

Post by HowardChristian »

Hi Roger,
Well I have my Anders Switches working & they appear to be working correctly. Although I don't believe we've gone about it necessarily correctly.

I am still confused as to what exactly in Sim-A sets the initial trigger to enable holding the Switch Solenoid in the Gnd position. We have the Engine Start Valve @57% releases it back to the Off position ok.

Is it possible you or anyone else using the Anders Start switches could explain exactly how you've wired them up & how you're using the Sim-A logic to control them?

Best regards
Howard C.
B737-800

Jetcos

Post by Jetcos »

From Mark:

The Sysboard Output functions :
Start Valve Open Left

Start Valve Open Right
Should be assigned to your start switch relays.

These outputs are enabled whenever the aircraft has A/C power and the N2 is below 56%.
This closes the relay and powers the solenoids to hold the starter switch in the GND position.

If the N2% then increases above 56% the Outputs are switched off which will kill the power to the starter solenoid and releases the switch back to the OFF position.

It's as simple as that.
There is no 'trigger'... if the outputs are ON then the switch will hold. When the outputs are turned off the switch will release.

If there is enough duct pressure available the engines will start to rotate.... if not... they won't.

depending on which version you are running, there was a period of time prior to the last release where I was changing the logic, and in previous versions the outputs weren't enabled until the pack switches were set to the off position... But that's the only difference.

Regards
Mark
Steve Cos