Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Simulator Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ph737NG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: New Simulator Build Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm in the planning stages of my first simulator build.

I'm planning on using mostly FDS equipment and am deciding between the MX series and PRO-MX series. I think the functionality and accuracy of the PRO-MX series is unbeatable so I am leaning towards these units. I also like the idea of having the units assembled to save on headache's and time.

I am a little bit unsure of the PC requirements as far as the flight instruments go. I'm currently planning on using ProSim/Prepar3D and am planning on using 3-4 PC's to run the simulator.

My PC for Prepar3D has the following specs:

Intel i7K 8700K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X
32GB RAM @ 2933Mhz (Considering an upgrade to 64GB, not sure if its necessary)
512GB SSD + 2 TB HD

I plan on using the second PC for running all of the cockpit instruments, however I'm unsure of exactly what will be needed. Firstly I'm not sure how the FDS PRO-MX or MX series units are connected to the PC. Is there Multiple USBs? Ethernets? For the MIP/Main panel If the PRO-MX is built like the MX there are 6 displays I count that need to be ran (maybe 7 Not sure if the standby instruments are on their own display or are part of the same display used for the PFD/ND on the CA side)

So is it possible to run all of the instruments on one PC? Or is it better to use 2 to split CA/FO side PFD/ND/CDU's? If so what type of specs would be required on this PC?

My third PC I only planned on running an instructor station with Active Sky, PFPX, TOPCAT, ProSim Utils etc. So that PC shouldn't be loaded down too hard and I can easily build that PC to withstand the load necessary for running half of the displays.

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated. I would like to finish buying all the PC equipment I will need so I can focus on the actual hardware portion of the build (The best part).

Thanks in advance!
Jetcos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Your P3D PC seems fine, I doubt you need anymore RAM. Spend good money of your visual PC. Also depends on if you want to use projectors or TV's.

Avionics PC must be an i7 computer with 3 GFX cards. There are 6 outputs required. 2 of them are VGA so adapters may be required. (Note the ISFD and RMI are on the center screen with the EICAS)

Utility PC is up to you, more than likely a good i5 can handle those items.
Ph737NG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetcos wrote:
Hi,

Your P3D PC seems fine, I doubt you need anymore RAM. Spend good money of your visual PC. Also depends on if you want to use projectors or TV's.

Avionics PC must be an i7 computer with 3 GFX cards. There are 6 outputs required. 2 of them are VGA so adapters may be required. (Note the ISFD and RMI are on the center screen with the EICAS)

Utility PC is up to you, more than likely a good i5 can handle those items.

Great!

Thanks for the reply! I do plan on using projectors at the moment. Would you recommend I add anything else to that PC to be able to handle this? Or is what I have on that PC fine?
Jetcos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if that was in your build but Liquid Cooling and possibly a 2nd hard drive. OS on the main C drive and P3D running on it's own.

Many opinions out there on how to set that up so I stay out of that. Lot's of info if you search.
Ph737NG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetcos wrote:
Not sure if that was in your build but Liquid Cooling and possibly a 2nd hard drive. OS on the main C drive and P3D running on it's own.

Many opinions out there on how to set that up so I stay out of that. Lot's of info if you search.

I currently have a 512GB SSD on my Sim computer and a 2TB hard drive for extra storage. I also have a liquid cooled chassis in it. So I think I will be good to go on that PC.

I have another question. How are most of the FDS panels interfaced? Is it all ethernet connections? Can you use Ethernet-USB adapters to be able to plug things into their respective PCs? Or do I need to go through a network switch with all the equipment? (If thats the case a full cockpit build would seem to need a rather large network switch to accommodate the inputs) If there is a good resource on home cockpit building I would be interested in reading up on that since this is my first large build.

Additionally are their options to customize the panels? For example the PRO-MX overhead is a 737-800, is there any way to get the air conditioning panel to represent a -700? This is obviously after I've got all my PC's set up before I move on to getting the hardware however I am curious.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment the flightmodel is a -800. Panels are all connected to our SYScards and they are USB. Radios are Ethernet.

Custom panels are usually an extra charge for the time spent making the changes (Peter would confirm pricing and availability)

Take a good look thru the FDS Customer Project Updates tab in this Forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: