Nav and strobe lights - Resolved

This section of the Sim-A Forum is for support issues.
Only a few Clear Rules Here:
1. No Rants. Rants will be deleted and the poster contacted. All focus here is to assist in the spreading of information to better assist all Sim-A users. Most of the people helping are not paid employees.
2. Be Polite. We want all Sim-A users to experience the fantastic elements that make Sim-A what it is. Being able to communicate here will allow the info to be the focus.
3. Time. We do not have someone on the Forum 24/7 so please allow members to jump in to help when needed.
4. Most important. This is not a "Issue" forum. If you feel there is an issue then please email support@sim-Avionics.com and Mark will review that. This is a commercial product and erroneous reports do harm.

Moderators: Jetcos, MarkHastings

Rigilkent

Nav and strobe lights - Resolved

Post by Rigilkent »

Hi Mark,
Is there a way to have the nav and strobe lights turning on and off independently?
Although they are correctly assigned to the corresponding switch/toggle in the SYSboard controller it seems that turning nav on/off also operates the strobe lights.

If nav lights are off, toggling the strobe lights to on does not do anything.
Same if nav lights are on. Turning strobe off does not work.
Is this how the current exterior models for the B777 works or am I missing something? I tried to play around with the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg but with no success.
Beacon, logos, and all other lights are fine. Only strobe and nav lights appear ‘bundled’ together...

Thanks,
Last edited by Rigilkent on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrea
Jetmax 777
FDS-MX-OH -- MCP-MX

Rigilkent

Post by Rigilkent »

I was finally able to figure this out. So resolved.
Andrea
Jetmax 777
FDS-MX-OH -- MCP-MX

jackpilot
Site Admin

Post by jackpilot »

Andrea , always nice to explain your solution ...
Thank you. :wink:
Jack
Full B737-800 DSTD/Sim-Avionics P3d4
ALL FDS & OEMs (+custom TQ)

Rigilkent

Post by Rigilkent »

Yes of course.

So the problem as I understood it is that for the B777 sim-a is using the POSKY model for the exterior.

In that model the wing lights (nav and strobe) are not cfg points that you can manipulate and manouvre around via the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg but are embedded in the model itself (reason for this is that the POSKY model has some sort of wing flex and so having the lights as cfg points would make them float when the wing flex).

So instead of working with the cfg file you need to edit the modeldef.xml.
In there I noticed that both the nav lights and the strobe lights had the same visibility condition (the visibility condition is basically what assigns it to the FS switches and button) to the nav switch (vis_nav_lights).
So all I did was to change the vis condition for the strobes to the strobe visibility condition (vis_strobe_lights). And voila!

You need to download the P3d SDK module though otherwise it won't let you save the modeldef.xml once you edited it.

All this said, I don't think this is relevant for those flying the 737 as I believe sim-a uses the native fsx/p3d flight model which did not have the issue...
Andrea
Jetmax 777
FDS-MX-OH -- MCP-MX

kand

Post by kand »

Great work Andrea, perhaps you could share this update to Mark for the next release?