Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choice of aircraft for a home FBPT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevendt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Choice of aircraft for a home FBPT? Reply with quote

That is probably an impossible question to answer definitively, but I’d be interested in hearing people’s views.

From my perspective, the first question is probably a question of aircraft manufacturer; in the flight sim world, that is probably a question of Airbus vs. Boeing. I guess there are many other considerations, but for me, at the most basic level, it comes down to side-stick vs. yoke. My preference is very much for a traditional yoke, so my preferred aircraft manufacturer is Boeing.

Then comes the more difficult decision . . . . which aircraft?

If we restrict the choice to the FDS product line, that means 737NG, 737MAX, 787, 777 and 747. That range seems to cover all of the Boeing flight deck simulations commercially available anywhere, so that’s a good range to restrict things too.

But, how to choose between them?

It seems to me that a big factor is the flight deck footprint and hence the room size that’s needed to house the cockpit shell and visual display system. I ***think*** that the cockpit sizes of the 787, 777 and 747 are similar, so from a space consideration, the choice is between a 737x or any one of the twin isles.

But, if space were not a consideration, how would you choose between them?

The 737x is the aircraft with the most history, there are a wealth of technical resources on the web that significantly outnumber the resources available for any of the other aircraft. Also, there are many more flight sim companies making hardware and software for the 737 than anything else.

But is that really an issue? The 777 and 747 aircraft are also well established products, the 787 and, particularly the 737Max, less so, but, is the potential lack of online resources for the newer aircraft a cause for concern? Is there enough information out there on the aircraft dynamics and avionics to allow the same level of realism as, say, a 737NG?

What else would drive you to choose, say, a 777 over a 747? Perhaps you just want the most modern flight deck, so would be driven to a 787?

Is cost a factor? That is, does it make a significant difference if you choose, say a 737NG or a 777? Other than the physical aircraft size, surely the sim hardware is essentially the same?

Does the aircraft characteristics influence your choice of aircraft? If you want to fly to, for example, JFK or LHR, then I don’t suppose it matters - any of the aircraft could operate there. However, maybe you want to fly to your local, regional, airport, then you may be driven towards an aircraft that could operate from the likely shorter runways, i.e., you might be driven towards a 737 rather than something much larger?

What other considerations are there? I’d be really interested in hearing other people’s thought processes when they chose their sim

Regards
Dave
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For me it was simple, the NG because I can run real time flights (less than an hour to about two hours/the most I can sit at one time just about) taken right off flight aware web site going gate to gate.

I'm not really a fan of monitoring systems for double digit hours, the joy (at least for me) is in the planning, takeoff and landings. I find cruise rather boring and I wouldn't want to do it for more than a couple of hours.

just my 2cents
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

My 2cents is same as your 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Cheers
Michael M
Tron3212

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to build a 777... main reason is I always like long-haul flights and the 777 itself... Downfall is components for a 777 are limited, luckily FDS pretty much has them all..lol..

Go with what you want, there is no right or wrong sim to build...

FDS 777
MIP, CDU Bay, CDU, MCP & Efis, Glareshield, WX Radar

FlightsimPM 777 Throttle, ACE 777 Yoke
stevendt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael_B767_ATP wrote:
Hi,

I'm not really a fan of monitoring systems for double digit hours, the joy (at least for me) is in the planning, takeoff and landings. I find cruise rather boring and I wouldn't want to do it for more than a couple of hours.

just my 2cents

BA Fly Bahrain to Doha in a 777 - takes about half an hour Smile
stevendt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tron3212 wrote:
I chose to build a 777... main reason is I always like long-haul flights and the 777 itself... Downfall is components for a 777 are limited, luckily FDS pretty much has them all..lol...

Yes, that was part of the reason for the question. As I said above, there are lots of 737 suppliers and resources on the web. Not so much for the 777, but, as you say, FDS seem to have the 777 covered, though they do seem to make fewer parts available than for the 737. The full 777 trainers do seem to be fully featured though, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

regards
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: