Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EL Sheet (backlighting) Comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: EL Sheet (backlighting) Comparison Reply with quote

Hello Simpals!
After some research I have found a cheap solution on getting the correct color match for the panel backlighting. I used a Roscolux Gel Light Filter sheet which is designed to allow light to go through and be converted to a specific color. The filter is mainly used for theatrical lighting but its perfect for backlighting too! Very Happy I found a local store downtown that supplies this material so I bought some for the time being. When I am ready to buy more (in bulk) I plan on shopping online for it. I found a website that sells this material very cheap. http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/Filters/filters/rosco/roscolux.html

Here is an example of what the filter does to my FDS EFIS panel:

As you can see, I am using a white EL Sheet and a Filter sheet between the EL and the panel. Notice that half of the panel has a filter sheet behind it and the other side doesn't--BIG DIFFERENCE.

There are different colors to choose from but I liked color (Roscolux)#317. It seemed to match close to the FDS CDU backlight color which is what I was aiming for. I could have gone darker but then I would have lost some translucency.
www.sim737.com
Pete737

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: EL Sheets Reply with quote

Excellent work Chad, Looks great!!!

Sincerely, Pete -Project NG
ssa

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,

Excellent work!
Why didn't you post this before I have glued my EL sheets to the panels Crying or Very sad . I am now trying to find a way to get them off without destroying... Rolling Eyes
One question though, if I remember correct you were using those EL sheets from Beingseen (no more comments about him...) do you have a way of dimming those? I am going to connect in parallel all of the MIP and glare panels, what type of pot I should use?
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssa wrote:
Chad,

Excellent work!
Why didn't you post this before I have glued my EL sheets to the panels Crying or Very sad . I am now trying to find a way to get them off without destroying... Rolling Eyes
One question though, if I remember correct you were using those EL sheets from Beingseen (no more comments about him...) do you have a way of dimming those? I am going to connect in parallel all of the MIP and glare panels, what type of pot I should use?

Hi Samim,
Yes. These El Sheets came from Beingseen.com. They illuminate in white but look pink when not powered. Don't feel so bad about your El Sheet dilemma, I came close to using the not-so-good green El Sheets but decided to wait a little longer for the white El Sheets (about two months longer). It was difficult putting that portion of the project in park, if you know what I mean. Brick wall Anyway, these El Sheets are dimmable (from the 12vdc end Wink )...I used a 25ohn rheostat from Radio Shack which brought the lighting intensity down 50%. I plan on experimenting with 40, 50 and 60 ohm potentiometers to see if I can get 0-volts across the El V-in leads when full resistance is applied. I'd hate to leave them on all the time, it would eventually take its toll on the El Sheet.
www.sim737.com
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would add to this post an ending result.

I'm in the process of adding EL Sheets to the rest of the panels. Adding El Sheets to each panel is time consuming but the overall result will be extraordinary...Just keep in mind that I'm only showing this to make others follow...Come on, I can't be the only person broke but very happy by doing a lighting project like this...lol Laughing
www.sim737.com
737nut

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!! Just don't make the same mistake i did! I installed my EL sheets, cut the holes for the switches to pass thru and now, when i touch the switches, i get shocked!! Somehow i have shorted the switches to the EL sheets! Embarassed
Rob
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

737nut wrote:
Looks good!! Just don't make the same mistake i did! I installed my EL sheets, cut the holes for the switches to pass thru and now, when i touch the switches, i get shocked!! Somehow i have shorted the switches to the EL sheets! Embarassed
Rob

What I did was use an exacto knoife and carve 1/16" of El Sheet away from the holes then taped them with scotch tape. Works perfectly. But I did get the chance to feel some shocking while experiementing. Rolling Eyes I learned from that real quick....ZZZzzzzzzaP! Laughing
www.sim737.com
mmorrell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: EL Lighting Reply with quote

Guys, What did you use the seal the EL sheet after cutting? I have heard of using a laquer, but no one has really specified exactly what product works the best for both sealing the sheet and keeping it from puttin 110VAC on the switches.

Thanks!
-Mitch
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: EL Lighting Reply with quote

mmorrell wrote:
Guys, What did you use the seal the EL sheet after cutting? I have heard of using a laquer, but no one has really specified exactly what product works the best for both sealing the sheet and keeping it from puttin 110VAC on the switches.

Thanks!
-Mitch

A combination of electrical tape and dielectric liquid tape...Not too hard at all.
www.sim737.com
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mitch
I am back lighting the A320 pedestal area at the moment using A4 sheets of EL cut down to panel size. On the type I am using you have to insulate the back of the sheet . I found that clear sticky back plastic which can be bought on the roll ( used for covering school books I seem to remember) works an absolute treat as a backing/insulator.....since using the plastic covering I haven't had any more belts for a few days now .......
I also found that Nova and Elite give a different back lighting effect when using the same light source.so I have found a Uk supplier of Roscolux filters and will order off them to try and achieve a correct light balance
http://www.optexint.com/contact/index.html
Hope this helps
Cheers
Ian
MLCrane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for everyone's information the equivalent Lee and GAM gels for Roscolux #317 (Apricot) are Lee #147 (Apricot) and GAM #343 (Honey).

No doubt some of you will find getting Lee or GAM easier than getting Roscolux.
paulharmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm just getting started with all this really - could someone give me a simple lowdown on EL sheets? How do they work? They sound amazing, but it can't all be true!

Thanks,

Paul
mmorrell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: EL Lighting Reply with quote

Paul,

EL lighting is definitely the best way to go for backlighting, beyond question. You can cut it to any size to fit exactly what you need to illuminate, it has no heat, very low power consumption, and is dimmable. The two caveats I see are price - for my King Air panels I figure I'll end up in the 3-400 $ range, and the fact that the premiere dealer (that I have found anyway - for A4 sheets and above) is beingseen.com, who's owner is not very customer service savy. That said, I have backlit 2 panels so far and the results are great. If you can afford it, to my mind you can't do better. Peter will custom cut the sheets for you if you need that, and there are lots of folks out there with experience with the stuff if you need help...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: