Sean Moraghan TripleHead2Go - Three Projector Setup

A showcase of Projects based around Flightdeck Solutions customers. FDS customers are welcome to post their work.
Please contact pcos@flightdecksolutions.com for photo updating and posting if you require assistance.

Moderator: Jetcos

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

Hi Guys ,

I have a quick drawing of the screen layout , cant figue out how to post it , so I will ask Pete to post it for me .

I can email it to you if you prefer

Sean :lol:

Steve_TO

Post by Steve_TO »

Hello. Would you be able to post the dimensions for your screen please. I went to Rona today and the boards they have are all 4' * 8' so the height of my screens would be limited to 4'. Looking at your pics it looks like the height of your screens are more than that. Thanks .

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

Hi Steve ,

I also had height issues , solved it by adding another strip to the bottom of mine to give it that extra height.

Sean

Steve_TO

Post by Steve_TO »

Hi Sean
Wow! Thats a very good job. I was looking at your pics to find the seam and I could'nt. Did you use dry wall for your screen?

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

Hi Steve ,

The 3mm MDF boards are still in original condition when I purchased them from hardware store. ( Still yet to paint them )

I was going to dry wall the seem , but was in a hurry to see how the set up looked , so I put this part of the project on hold till later .
To my suprise you cant notice the seem with the projectors running , you can only notice it when they are turned off .
So therefore I wont dry wall the seem.

Sean

Tomlin

Post by Tomlin »

How well do you think that the very same projector setup would work using a solid piece of foam insulation board that is 4x8 foot and bent with a slight horizontal curve in it? Also, dont get hung up on the above deminsions, just image that 3/4 inch thick insulation foam board used on the side of homes, laid sideways and with a slight curve...
Eric Tomlin
Learjet 45

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

Sorry cant help you on this one.

It will be all a bit of trial and error.

Would be interesting to see how that works out.

Sean

Steve_TO

Post by Steve_TO »

Hi Sean
Here in Toronto we also have the 1/8" MDF board in 4'*8' that comes painted white on one side. They carry two versions, one has a smooth glossy surface and the other has a dull textured finish. From your experience which would you think would make a better surface to project on to. Thanks for the help.

Steve

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

Hi Steve ,

I have found that projecting on to a dull mat finish is better than onto a glossy .

I will be painting my screens in a mat white.

Sean

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

NEWS NEWS NEWS

I have just purchased another PCI EXpress Motherboard with 2 gig ram , 4200 dual core AMD CPU , a Geforce 7950GT with 512meg ram & a IVibe tactical feedback seat .

Will be installing these into the sim later this week , hopefully this will give the graphics a big boost .
Cant wait to use the seat with the visuals.
I might even reload FSX & try to get that to run.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Sean

Steve_TO

Post by Steve_TO »

I am in the process of building a new computer as well. I will be going with the Intel E6600 CPU, EVGA 122-CK-NF68 mobo, two BFG 7950 GT OC video cards and 4Gigs of Ram(IF I get a good price). I am just starting out so I plan to use one computer to begin. I would like to run four outputs. Three outside scenery on to the projectors and one 19" CRT running the instruments. I will be using FS9 as well as X-Plane. I am also thinking of using TH2GO and then I can run three outputs, one for the instruments, overhead panel and the FMC, Throtles. I know this will be very taxing on the system so I may have to overclock my CPU. I have got my screens all set up and my cockpit layout is quite primitive but functional. The screens are white MDF board at 64"*48". For the sound system I've got an older Klipsch 4.1 system with a nice subwoofer I plan to place under my seat. I will post some pics once I have built my computer and get things running. Thank you Sean for you help. Your post gave me the motivation to get things going. :)

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

Hi Steve ,

Well my first attempt at upgrading went horibbly wrong. :evil:
System wouldn't load & kept crashing . :(
Now instead of upgrading , I am building a new PC from scratch & reloading everything .
With the old system , I might try an experiment.
Will see how using the TH2Go 3 projectors & wide veiw will run together giving extra side visuals .
If it works this will mean running a total of 5 projectors.
Hmmmmm , I hope the wife will understand.

Sean :)

warvet

Post by warvet »

Sean,
5 Projectors ouch!! thats a serious visual system. All I can say is you may want to look at other alternatives that will give you more or less same coverage but alot less equipment. Just a thought. Im still using my projector bonced off a curved mirror and it gives me superior front coverage and Im not even using the Triple head system, just a thought. good luck Sean.

Tim
A340
Canada

747-400PILOT

Post by 747-400PILOT »

Tim ,

Are you able to send me some pics of your set up with the curved mirror.

Thanks
Sean

Joe Cygan

Post by Joe Cygan »

JC