Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDS-SYS Board/InterfaceIT Video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: FDS-SYS Board/InterfaceIT Video Reply with quote

Very special thanks to Steve Wekarchuk for his dedication and support on our FDS-SYS Boards and interfaceIT software. Steve has been working closely with Brent (InterfaceIT/SYS board Developer) for the bulk of this year. Steve has focused on the B737NG while his counterpart Jon Boe has pushed hard in the B747 areas. Together they have been a tremendous help to Brent and us at FDS. The FDS-SYS3 boards are now starting to ship and we are super proud of the team effort that has gone into this.
Having two builders of this calibre spearheading the program means that you will find things super straightforward when you embark down this new road.
Steve, Thank you so very much for taking the time and the initiative to put this video together. It is a fantastic overview of the setup and speaks well to the simplicity we have been able to harness in this category. For those that did not see the link on the front page it is here:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/4/155508/Interface_Intro_Final.wmv

Last edited by pcos on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Project 717273747

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to you Peter and Thanks to Steve, Brent and everyone else for a great video on FDS-SYS Boards and interfaceIT software. It is terrific and can't wait to see some more.

I will be ordering mine very soon Very Happy

All the best!

Tom Waldon
Project717273747
SAS884

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god , after looking at the video I understading how simpel it is going to be to instal it to my flightdeck.

Orderd SYS3 2 wecks ago + other good stuff Razz ,caint wait to get my hands on it and start connecting it.

A great job by FDS team that allows it to become much more simpler fore us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MattB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive! You're almost making it too easy to build. Way to go Very Happy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: FDS-SYS3 Import Reply with quote

It really is guys..
The BIGGEST thing to remember is that you are not alone out there with this system.
Example.. You might struggle to get something going. Normal.. There are hundreds of elements.. Instead of getting frustrated you go to the SERVER and check for this function. Chances are Steve (B737NG or Jon (B747) already have it sorted out and uploaded.
You select, download. Back into interfaceIT and "Import" the function you want.. Save and fly..
PC
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life can be made so simple Smile

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksoltions.com
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi men,

Great video, really helps to put it into respective. Steve states on video that no external power is required, and all LEDs are powered through USB.

Is there enough power in a USB port to power a whole MIP? (sorry I'm
not up to speed on USB hardware/current loads Confused )

Secondly, Is there a prefered computer to install SYS-3 on assuming
it will be used to interface MIP?

Regards,

Nat
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: USB Power Reply with quote

Power is not a problem.
The FDS-SYS1 with 256 LEDs and 64 Switch inputs is USB Powered. 100%.... Smile
SYS Cards are communictiong in the network environment and not concerned about where they enter.
Brent (interfaceIT dveloper) is a leading expert in the Network Industry, His CV would blow anyone away) is totally dialled into this area.
Perhaps when we are on course and SYS boards are out and doing their thing I can ask him to bring that part of our setups to his able hands.
He is a HUGE resource that we have and would love to see him helping in this area.
PC
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening PC,

Thanks for that re-assuring news Smile

Nat
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: History Reply with quote

Brent and I have been working on this interface project since my days at Atlantis Systems International. (this goes back about 5-6 years now)
I brought Brent in on a large contract I did for the FAA. I designed/produced 12 Air Marshall Training devices for the FAA back then.
Brent started from scratch and within 6 weeks had the entire setup interfaced and running.
From there we looked at my www.a320project.com project and played around with interfacing.
Over time I think he realized that most people (90% likely) would never be able to go deep enough into interfacing to ever realize their goals. I agreed watch all the EPIC bullSh%t that was going on back then. Unless you knew the developer and could call him on teh phone you were pretty much out of luck.
Brent's goal was to develop a system that a guy like me could use and succeed. Had to be inuitive NO CODE involved etc. He nailed it.
The IMPORT function is brilliance. It means that nobody is out here alone. We can almost be there.. If you wire normally and want something interfaced, can;t figue it out.. Someone (of the growing community here) can jump in and send a file in minutes.
We are expanfing the library every day. Steve W has an IBL NG Overhead started, as he pushes through the entire setup will be downloadable.
You could wire exactly as he has and import the whole setup.
Interfaced in an hour... Imagine that..!
PC
vidarf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I have already chosen Opencockpits as my base for interfacing. I even have a Hagstrom board.
And now you show me this video.

I think I just have to realize that this hobby is VERY expensive. Just because I am too eager to build, and don't do my research good enough.

Ah, well. The Opencockpit cards are not bad, and can be used for other parts of my sim (I'm thinking the pedestal). The FDS boards will eventually be ordered. No doubt about that!
Here is my reasons:
1. Pre-wired connectors, ready to solder to LED's and switches
2. Genious software that saves me a lot of time - I HATE programming and setting up software (I've done more of that than most people...)
3. Not cheap, but definitely not expensive either! Value for money.

Now I have to face my all-time problem: Raising the funds. I feel like I'm just talking big words here, since I haven't ordered any FDS parts yet. But when wifey finishes her studies and our total income doubles...

Peter, is there any discount for poor fans of FDS? Very Happy

Great video! Peter, get more of these videos made, and you'll have to get more slave... I mean, employees. Wink
bwr014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice part of the FDS boards is that you can put them next to boards you already have. They dont bite each other in that way Smile

Many thoughts are possible to use the FDSsys boards...

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
tkellogg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Aweaome! Reply with quote

Once again Peter and his team have demonstrated why they are the leaders and trail blazers for the builders of the full scale simulator. Great video. While with a lot of time, and direction from the FDS forum, I have been able to do limited programming to date, it is my least favorite part of simbuilding. With these great products, I can get my MIP up and running and get back to what I really enjoy, building. As soon as I receive my FDS- SYS-2, FDS-SYS-3, MCP and two EFIS boards (hint hint...) I can focus on my second most enjoyable part, flying what I have built so far. When you look at what we spend on other components for our sims, the cost of these boards is one of the best values I have seen since starting my sim. Can't wait until I am able to order the pedestal and overhead panels. Kudos again to Peter, Brent, Steve, Jon and the rest of the team. It looks like I will be able to attend the next IFC convention so I can meet and congratulate some of you in person. Keep up the outstanding work!
www.creativesimulations.com
kkellogg@bellsouth.net
brissydave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what its worth, i always thought the same as tom..."the cost of the boards is one of the best values i have seen since starting".

i was very suprised to see how cheap they were, given what they do over every other board on the market.
opens everything up for my project.

i wanted to be able to fly my creation but didnt head in that direction due to being worried/ scared about interfacing.
i held it off and made other things out of wood for a whole frickin year!

i feel like a cheat cause its now too easy!..thankgod.
SWeker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for what its worth, i always thought the same as tom..."the cost of the boards is one of the best values i have seen since starting".

Prior to working with Peter and Brent on the SYS boards and InterfaceIT software, I had my MIP fully integrated with another interfacing system. With that system (and I'm not referring to EPIC), I truly struggled through program bugs, lack of functionality, hardware architecture that required excessive wiring, external power supplies for every component, configurations requiring updates in BOTH GUI and text, etc, etc.

Within 2 days of having the SYS-3 board and InterfaceIT, I sold all my previous equipement realizing (in my opinion) it was a dying bread. I have been COMPLETELY happy with the FDS hardware and software and have not experienced ANY negative set-backs. In fact, with the team laying out most of the config work for the Boeing and Airbus sims, new builders will get up and running in half the time of an already extremely short ramp up time.

Time is money, so your statement of "the cost of the boards is one of the best values i have seen since starting"...is bang on for the FDS product! Not to mention the lack of frustration and a product line is second to none!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: