Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pm systems and hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brissydave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: pm systems and hardware Reply with quote

i seem to be having trouble getting pm sys to read switch positions of sys1 at program startup.

i have heard about the config hardware setting and that ya gotta start all programs in a certain order and that maybe pm sys only reads switches in the on position.
after trying lots of things no happiness. i always have to set the switches using my mouse to correspond with hardware.

pm systems is a very naughty little piece of software that needs a smack with the wooden spoon.

how is everyone else going with this?...success?
steve?
bwr014

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can find some thoughts in that...

Suppose you end your flight and have all switches buttons ect in a situation you in flight.. then start your sim in cold startup what means PM would response to that and will put all the switches buttons ect in that way what means it doesnt match with the hardware..

Logic wise it would be impossible to have PMsys in cold start while the output on the check of the switches would be in flight.. (you cant have a fuel flow in cold start but your hardware would be saying it can comform to the switches that are still on or off)

This is also a big miss in pmsys that before it startup not first come up with a list that will tell you that the switches buttons ect are not set comform the situation you want to have it... it would have to stop and will only continue when you have the same situation for the software comform hardware.. like that you dont need to use a mouse to click things on and off..

The sysboard knows what status the switch or button is and will react on that so it is the side of PMsys that need to solve this and communicate with the hardware...

think a nice assignment for enrico to see if he can find a solution for this because everyone would have the same problem with this and it is not possible to automatic let switches go from ON to OFF so the software have to do this check and tell you what you manual have to switch..

Not really difficult because all info is there it only needs to be created... my thought..

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
dcutugno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more simple is if PMSys conform to a mechanical switch, i don't see any trouble to do that! But Pmsystem does not check the hardware at startup or during the session this is the problem!

In PMsys there is an option to Ignore default position, hardware is connected. So any switch in software can be adapted! But missing check!
brissydave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its gotta come in an update im sure.
melnato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit confused here.

If (and they are) the SYS cards are capable of "polling",
then why isn't PM Systems listening to the SYS cards?

The SYS cards know exactly what state the switches are in,
so PM Systems should just listen to what its being told (just like with GC software)????

Nat
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you would like to have your plane in cold start and your overhead show it is in flight mode and pmsystems would show this too???

Don't think that works say A to one and show B to the other.

Doesnt make much sense to me..

PM just have to do the check first what status FS will startup and needs tell you what hardware have to be reset not the other way arround.

but i could be wrong Rolling Eyes

gr.

Frans M
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the only way to overcome this is to make your default start-up
flight "cold and dark" and also make sure all your hardware is switched "off"
just like you find when you jump into a real 'cold' flight deck?????

Nat
MarkusPilot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ in my best 2001 space odessey HAL200 voice ]

Dave I think its best to complete the shutdown checklist before you turn the computers off.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you
www.markuspilot.com
brissydave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nahhh franz..... at the start of a flight, if you start your fs aircraft cold and dark, then start pm sys cold and dark...it still wont align hardware to software if a switch is out of place?

so......does one have to start cold and dark everytime with switches in perfect position?

Last edited by brissydave on Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
warvet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I dont have Sys but i can tell you PM Systems at least for me is very picky and powerful, if all the switches are not set to close or off or in proper stating setup it will screw up the whole start situation. I have actually tried to start it one time wrong for 30 min with pm systems and it was a bitch. Even when I turned PMSYS off it still somehow had some commands locked. It definitely can be a beast. All I can say is just reset the entire PMSYS to start dark. Good luck Mate.

Tim
A340
Canada
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said before the only solution is a checklist made by PM to see what the status is of a switch and if it is wrong have to give a msg that it need to be changed then up to the next one like this you have a 1 on 1 setup and then it doesnt matter what situation you at..

Not sure this is going to happen but who knows.. Smile

gr.

Frans M

@Tim.. i noticed that lot of offsets are not there for the A320 PMsystems or i am wrong?
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Slow Down a Bit Please Reply with quote

Lets slow down a second here please..
First and Foremost...
When you fire up your setup.. PM Systems should be fired up first.
THEN the SYS Software.
this allows us to read all states for the ANNUNs, polls the hardware and then feed that info back to PM.
If you have a specific item that is not right then let us know what that is. There may be "System dependencies" involved.. Somthing that cannot be switch on with out something else happening first for example.
Otherwise.. Software turned on in this order will do exactly what it should do.
I appreciate the many responses in here but I would like to avoid the speculation route and specifically ask the SYS users to jump in first as they are running the product.
The Many SYS3 cards out here are doing the MAIN/MIP sections and working very well. Overheads are no different in terms of how they are working between the two software packages.
There are interface systems out here that DO NOT poll. We are not one of them.
PC
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha...so I was close in my first post...just didn't realize PM Systems
should be fired before SYS-3/1...Thanks PC

Nat
brissydave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...starting from cold and dark all works perfect when all switches are correct.
sys board works perfect.....magical....as always.

but i guess i found it a bit funny that pm sys wasnt reading the state of the switches if they are in the wrong state whenever pm is started.....but i can also understand now why it has been done like that. safeguard against guys doing crazy in-flight starts etc, and then complaining to pm why things seem not right. it leaves no room for any mishaps.

it really is the best option to make the software do that from enricos point of view i guess.

franz you are right.
i was looking at the trees and not the forest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: