Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a Momentary Switch to Toggle Values on Sys1 Card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A320East

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Using a Momentary Switch to Toggle Values on Sys1 Card Reply with quote

Hoping Jon B, Steve W, or Frans might be able to assist.....

I wish to use a momentary switch to toggle between two set values with my Sys 1 card - here's what I need to do...

This function is for the A320 and is the "PFD/ND XFR" switch located just outboard of the PFD on either side of the cockpit. This switch when pushed flip flops the PFD (Primary Flight Display) and ND (Navigation Display) screen positions. Normally the PFD is outboard and the ND is inboard, but using this switch they can be toggled back and forth (in the case of a display or display generator failure).

PM has just added this function in ABGC ver 289d using offset 04F4. Values 601,602 switch the Capt displays and 621,622 switch the F/O displays.

I would have no problem setting this up using a push on / push off switch but I'm wondering how to accomplish this using the momentary switch I now have installed. is there a way this can be done, perhaps with an XML file?

Each time the swtch is pushed I need it to toggle it's value ie. if the value is 601 and the switch is pushed it would change to 602, when pushed again it would change back to 601 and so on.

I'm still in the learning process with my Sys 1 card and would appreciate any advise.
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,

How do we have to see this? it act the same like F4/F5?

offset 04F4 isnt that the magical one that is used for all that is not named?

bit/byte/fload/ word.. 2? 4?

i think when you want to switch do a work of a switch you need to have a switch SYSboard will see one push but doesnt see so far i know when you push again a different push you connected to 1 switch so if that is nr 8 for example whatever you push it stay 8 so the value would not change.

Maybe jon and steve would have a idea..

( i think you need to have a switch that goes ON/OFF not like what you use now the lil black push button..

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com

PS.. still waiting for enrico to answer me also for your other questions you asked me for the Main panel..
A320East

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frans,

Yes, this is the "magical" catch-all offset! Enrico was kind enough to provide a new ABGC build (289g) so that the F4 / F5 commands could be used to make the "PFD/ND XFR" switch work by using 601,602 and 621,622.

I hope Steve or Joe have some suggestions how to do this using my current momentary switch. I really want to keep the one I have because it is the same style as in the actual aircraft.

I guess I could build a flip flop circuit to drive a small PC mount relay connected to the Sys card input which would be seen as a push on / push off switch...
vidarf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we use this method:
1. Assign an internal variable FLIPFLOP to set offset A to value A1 when the internal variable FLIPFLOP is 0. When the internal variable FLIPFLOP is set to 1, the offset A gets value A2.
2. Switch X get action on down/on (nothing on up/off). The action controls the internal variable FLIPFLOP, with operation "Toggle (0/1)".

By doing things this way, you can get one button to switch between any values you like.

I haven't messed around too much with this yet, but that seems like a good idea to me.
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so the magical one Smile

Vidarf the siwtch is not really a switch it is a pushbutton so nothing to switch here..

What you could do maybe is build that one on a K1 switch and then connect that one to the sysboard.. not sure if you can dril something into it that you can mount on it ....

this needs more thinking.. will ask pete if we also can produce magical pushbuttons Laughing

gr.

Frans M

PS.. how many times will a screen by the way by you crash?
vidarf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you really need is an on/off pushbutton to make this really easy. However, what I suggested should work with a momentary switch (the only difference between a momentary switch and an on/off switch, is that the momentary switch doesn't stay on after you release it. Otherwise they work in the same way.).
The big clue here is that you don't assign any values to the switch when it is off / not pressed! The only action you get is when you push the switch and therefore set the input in question to ON.
Since we're talking about a flip/flop situation here, that should work.

I must point out that I haven't tried this out yet myself. But if the SYS boards and the InterfaceIT works like I think, this should work.
vidarf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Just tried out some stuff here. I got the flip/flop action to work, but I didn't find out how to assign the internal variable to a FSUIPC offset.
A320East

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vidarf,

I'll stand by till you see if you can make this work.

...and I'd love to know more about programming internal variables if you feel like giving a little tutorial....

In the meantime I've dug up a little circuit using a 556 timer chip so that if the interaceit can't do the job with the momentary switch I can use the flip flop circuit to drive a relay and give the interfaceit card what will appear to be a push on / push off switch. I'm sure I'll get there in the end no matter.

Thanks to all for the ideas!
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Comment From Brent Reply with quote

For those that are not familiar with Brent. Brent is the designer of the SYS software/hardware. His comments are as follows:

Peter, I read thru this and the ideas are correct, unfortunately there is no way to implement that right now.
You can set it to toggle an internal variable; however there is no method to set an offset based on an internal variable. In the next version of the software (release to be determined still), I will add a toggle feature to the FSUIPC actions. This way someone can toggle the value of an FSUIPC offset and accomplish what the poster is asking.
====

Brent Vernon

TEKWorx Limited
vidarf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet again, the SYS boards provide! Very good!
This way, we can use the InterfaceIT to make very simple system logics, where PMSystems would be a REAL overkill...

The SYS board doesn't come cheap, but they are worth every single penny - and beyond! VERY pleased!
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so Im stuck. Nothing in the manual that I can see tells how to have a Momentary show ON when pushed the first time and to show OFF when pushed the 2nd time. I have played and played with variables. A push in the right direction please?

Thanks to all,

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Frans,
Thanks for your reply regarding momentary switches in the 'First Impressions' thread. I tried every combination of values that I could think of and Im using the default Lear45. However, I am using a freeware panel, and I wonder if that's messing me up on the two issues Im having now.

1) The momentary is assigned to the Master Battery and after playing will all sorts of diff. values-I can only get it to either turn ON and stay on, or turn ON only when pressed.

2) The other issue was I followed the IT manual to the letter, and couldnt get a SPST toggle to turn on ONLY one item. I can get it to turn on several lights at once, but not just one, even using the bit entered.

Maybe this is all due to an addon freeware panel, but Im guessing its somthing on my end in the assignment values or a missing part in the manual.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
bwr014

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what kind of software you use but i think this is exactly the moment where freeware and payware are crossing the line...

It is all in the logics and if the freeware version only have the basic FS commands it will not do much more then what you discribe now...

If you would look to PMsystems you understand why it is much more complicated and also will follow reaction after action.. ( same for AST software)

So could be very well this is the cause of the issue in your case..

Lights.. what lights you refer too?
If your model doesnt have seperate lights setup in the aircraft file you also only will see on or off of everything. ( try the basic B737 of FS and you will see it have different lights like beacon, landing, strobe ect. The offsets you can find in the FSUIPC doc for each light.

gr.

Frans M
Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just using the default Learjet 45 in FS9. The addon panel is just a different bitmap as far as I can tell. I will try reverting to the actual default L45 panel and see what happens, but the true issue lies in this I believe:

1) I simply dont know or understand what values to put in the field for bits and what to select (clear bit/toggle/etc.) and the manual does not address this for a momentary switch. The manual never gives any other examples.

2) The manual tells you to scroll left to see bit values in order to choose the correct value for turning on a specific light. If it were not for the manual showing a screenshot of what it used to look like, I would have never known what the bit values were and what they were associated with because in the version of software I have, they are not shown as they are in the manual. When followed, it didnt work.

3) Other functions work beautifully- Im just trying to wrap my head around all the functions that are available for a default aircraft that doesnt need PMSystems.

If the default aircraft uses a momentary button to start an engine (like the default L45 does) should it not pass that functionality on to IT software without the need for PMSystems? My understand is that it will work with only FSUIPC/IT/SYS3, but I need to know more info than what is provided in the manual.

Im not trying to make it difficult for anyone here, but there's only so many different combinations of variables to try before you wonder if a particular function is going to be workable.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so somthing that is truly momentary was tried today at lunch- the engine Start switches. It works great. Just got to figure out how to make a momentary switch function as a 'toggle' of sorts for the Master Battery and for the Generator switches as well.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: