Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIP AND PM SYSTEMS INTERFACE QUESTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdjung1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: MIP AND PM SYSTEMS INTERFACE QUESTION Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have one of the SYS boards and I'm just about ready to start wiring my overhead panel. I intend to interface the board with PM systems which resides on its own PC. My question pertains to the MIP which I plan to get to eventually. While some of the MIP functions require PM systems (master caution/fire warning/annunciator panel/etc.) some of the functions (like autobrake) are covered within the FS software. Can one single SYS board be used to cover both PM systems and FS functions? Also, I assume that the MIP SYS board will be connected to the same PC that PM systems is running on. (eventually the same PC would be used to connect functions such as the fire suppression panel when PM systems fully supports... or some smart guy programs in the functions.)

I know that these questions probably sound silly, but I just want to make sure that I have the concepts clear in my mind for planning purposes.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Chris
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: SYS Connection Reply with quote

the SYS boards can be on any computer in your network.
the SYS boards can talk to multiple software packages at the same time.
FS, PM, AST etc. All...
you assign the functions you want the card to handle and it will sort all of that out for you.
PC
melnato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK we get the hint Very Happy

Nat
A320East

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys...

Lets not forget that the Sys cards outputs can be used to drive many things other than simply LEDS!

As in the post "Routing an overhead Switch to trigger a non FS/PM Function" with a little electronic or relay help downstream the Sys card can be used to activate anything from the coffee maker in your kitchen to the beer delivery warning horn .....just in case your "cabin attendant" is off tending to other things when you're in the middle of a CAT3 to minimums!
Viper

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but lets not confuse newcommers as PCOS has already said before they dont go into this side of it as it wasn't designed for this and it might damage your cards.

I have seen others using the outputs for relays but I for one am not going to use the card other then what it was made for I think that at $535 AUD for my sys1 card it is too important to push it to do things it wasnt made for I dont think smoke pouring out of it is a good thing hehehe.

but by the same token if you know what your doing and have the ability to crawl to fds if you stuff up then go ahead but consult Pcos first I say and read all you can on the people who do this already.

The only other thing I want to add is why would you want to drive a relay on your sim?

Smile
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Chris Reply with quote

As an aside.. Christopher is working with Brent on several iniatives that will allow people to expand the capabilites.
His expertise in these areas are a real boost for us and for Brent. Time being the big issue.
Looking forward to seeing the end results. There are enough real "experts" out here to push things forward. No question about that.
Thanks guys.
PC
Viper

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree there peter that the experts can push the sys cards in a new direction I am still wondering why you would want to drive a relay? Is there something I am not understanding here?

where would this be useful? Smile
brissydave

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin...there are answers for that question.
relays can trigger anything....from toe/hand brake release ......to starter solenoid etc....or whatever runs off too much power for the sys gear....but has the ability to be triggered by an offset.

sys board is not aircraft specific....but our little minds are. Very Happy so some guys might be building fighter jets/helicopters or other sims.....so they may require the boards to accomplish other tasks.

nobody should mislead themselves that the sys boards are in one specific catagory....where actually their true capabilites are coming to light as we go along....not my thoughts...actually what i've been told from the gurus.

hijacked threads galore here... Very Happy
Viper

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting points dave I hadn't thought along those lines noe I'm intrigued by the starter solinoid part hmmm ok have to keep my ears open on the forums more Smile
vidarf

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if somebody can show me a simple cirquit that I can build, I will make my own starter switches sometime this year (my overhead is "in the making" for the time being). And I am using the SYS cards.
A320East

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vidarf - Hold tight for the time being.

As Peter said above, I'm working with Brent on some "output interface" options to go along with the Sys cards. This should really broaden the range of devices that you can drive with the sys cards. Once I get the stuff I'm working on proven and on to PC and Brent they will decide on what form it may take.

Some of the things I'm keeping in mind are:
-Isolation of the Sys card from output devices (for safety of the Sys Card).
-Ability to directly drive 12-24volt loads easily.
-Ability to directly interface with other logic circuits.
-Providing isolated contact closure (relay) outputs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: