Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any definitions for These?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphajetsim

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Any definitions for These? Reply with quote

Can someone tell me brief descriptions of the Operation Options and how they are best used (for assigning switches).

Operation: None (please explain)
Operation: Clear Bit (self explanitory)
Operation: Set bit then reset ((please explain)
Operation: Set Value (please explain)
Operation: Set value then Zero (please explain)
Operation: Toggle Bit (please explain)
Operation: Uknown (please explain)

Is there a more detailed user guide available for the InterfaceIT software? Thanks in advance!

http://home.comcast.net/~bimmer4011/

- Ron
brissydave

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help...if it doesn't it will shed some light on this for guys that wanna buy a sys card or are struggling with it.

these are part of the update fsuipc input section (for any new guys)

i have a complete working overhead and mip. and i have only ever used two functions.....toggle bit and set value.

the list that you have given is for entering offsets using the input via fsuipc function of the interfaceit software.(for any new guys)

its kinda simple....and becomes easy to see when you are inputting offsets into the sys1 with the help of pm systems "on-screen" offset bitmaps. because enrico has added whether it is a bit or a byte or a value next to the offset.

1 basically....most of the on/off switches/buttons will be require you to enter the offset and then "toggle bit"....its that easy. or in the fsuipc update section you are talking about....enter the bit aswell.

2 but some switches will be three way toggle switches or rotary switches..... so here enrico gives a single offset for the switch and a value for each position . mostly it is 0, 1, 2, etc these being the switch positions respectively. so.....for this switch we would enter the switch offset and then the single value for that postion and then click on "set value".

for each switch (position therein) there is an on/up and off/down input. dont forget about the off part of the input too. it will be the same value all the way though the switch.

all of the inputs i have used in my sim with the sys1 and 3 are "update pm" inputs. i did tinker with the update fsuipc function that you are talking about, but didn't get around to needing it. in that case i guess you would be using the fsuipc fs offsets (for any new guys).

here you need to think twice about how an offset should be used.....eg my reverser levers use an fs offset called decrease throttle......it took me a while to stop searching for an offset related to engine reversers etc. Embarassed

good luck mate! Very Happy

Last edited by brissydave on Sun May 06, 2007 6:28 am; edited 2 times in total
brissydave

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhh oh!...i just had a look at your site. i didnt realise you had the big full-on fighter sim thing going on.. maybe you dont use any pm offsets for it.

well the above should help a "bit" hopefully ronny.........(bit...get it?)
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Dave,
Thanks for jumping in on this. Thought you did great covering the topic.
I think part of this is about "Going deep" into the whole interfacing part of things and how the SYS boards can be utilized by those that want to do alot oif intricate programming on their own.
As you mentioned, Some folks are not going down the FSUIPC/FS/PM path and these functions allow us/you to interface direct with applications.
Part of the answer is that if you have to ask what they are for you likely have not had a chance to dig into the deeper elements of interfacing.
My bet is that folks that understand the more manual approaches to this recognize these names and parameters and can use them.
Numerous companies, schools and institutes are using the SYS boards now with their own applications and these functions are the way they proceed.
I think for Alpha, you likely have a software person that is working with you to interface the various elements you are trying to bring to life, My bet is these elements will be recognizable by that person.
The big lure of of the SYS cards in the "simbuilding" end of things is the automation and the XMLS... Once created every other user can simply import and use..
for those with highly custom applications (Like yourself Alpha!) we can address the requirements with these functions.
For me, I stick with the more automated elements. More in line with my level of understanding...
Thanks again David for jumping in. this is a great post for anyone to read after your response.
As far as a more detailed "Manual" to cover these features it would be great but its more of an "interface 202" course than a SYS issue.
My bet is that folks will eventually show how they are doing elements in this area and discuss on here..
PC
alphajetsim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter and Dave.

Truthfully we're not doing anything out of scope with the SYS boards, they are interfacing with switches from the cockpit via FSUIPC, those actions are then fed to MS FS.

This is not a glass cockpit, purely analog (except for the HUD). One thing I noticed is that our SYS boards do not output 2.2v-2.5v for the LED, they actually only output about 1.3v - 1.4v.

I really really need at minimum 2v out, because I'm going to have the 2v feed a transister (Darlington Pair) that will trigger a relay to provide the ground for the 24v annunciator light in the cockpit. Nothing will be fed back too the SYS board because we are using a closed loop circuit (from SYS board LED connector to transister, then back to SYS board via GND).

Something you (Peter) can ask the techs for me is if I can replace (at my own risk) the resisters that are next to the LED connector ports, with lower OHM resisters.

Thanks guys.
alphajetsim

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I dont think I'm breaking any new ground with this project. SYS boards + InterfaceIT + FSUIPC allow for any type of switch/light interface for sim builders. In fact I bet I could use many of the prefab'd 737 XML files for things like Pitot heat or Nav lights, gear handle, etc. I'm scratch building my XML files (using InterfaceIT) just so I can learn as much as I can about the various nuances of InterfaceIT and FSUIPC.

It's really not so bad to do it and I would be more than happy to upload them once I get them tested and verified. They can probably be applied to anyone building a generic (or specific) twince engine jet.

I've already performed a test with the Pitot Heat switch in the cockpit, toggled turns on the Pitot heat on a Lear jet.

One thing I noticed is that it turns on, but sometimes doesn't "see" when I turn the switch off. Takes two or three attempts, almost like there is a latency thing going on. Does anyone know if there is a scan rate that needs to be changed or tweaked or something?

Thanks!
alphajetsim

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what the problem is with my switch needing a couple of clicks before it registers being in the off position.

In another post, I read that you only need toprogram the switch for the "On" function, it will know when it is in the "Off" position. I had 1 switch in InterfaceIT programmed with two Functions:

1. Turn on Pitot Heat.
2. Turn Off Pitot Heat.

It appears that I only need to program that switch for "On", and if it is in the other position that InterfaceIT automatically assumes "Off". I'll try it out this weekend when I'm at the hangar. Smile
Viper

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alpha just thought I'd throw my two bits worth into this I actually use my offsets this way 1 off is clear bit and on is set bit or toggle bit depending on the way it works so by using clear bit in the off position you only need to use one input not 2.

the only time i use 2 inputs is my landing gear lever as I like it to know when I select up or down.

my overhead is coming alond and I am saving on inputs by using this method.

Smile
alphajetsim

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Viper, thanks for the tip.

Whats the difference between toggling a bit and setting it. Can you give me an example of what function they would be used for in that manner?

Thanks!
Viper

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only difference that I have noticed alpha is that with toggle bit sometimes it doesn't stay on where as set bit ensures it stays on until i flip it to off where clear bit comes in an example would be my yaw switch in the over head using pm systems demo i noticed that with toggle bit the switch flicked on but went back to off when i changed it to set bit it stayed on until i turned the switch off.

Hope that helps
Tomlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Landing Gear Reply with quote

It amazes me how simple some items can be to set up but how difficult others can be. I tried a simple SPST toggle switch to use as the Landing Gear input. I set the On/Up to set bit and then tried everything I could think of for the Off/down bit to no avail. Of course there have been other items that work straight off the bat!

For a simple landing gear Up/Down function, what are the required settings in the SYS software?

So that I, and others who are obviously new to interfacing, can move forward-why cant we have 1 stickied post here in the Interfacing forum that directs to ALL of the needed documentation such as the FSUIPC manual, a list of Offsets, and of course the SYS/InterfaceIT Manual?

What is frustrating is the fact that I know that these boards are fairly simple and straighforward, but users need a central location for every document required to have them functioning properly so that questions can be reduced and positive results prevail.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Jon Boe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Have you tried opening the "tools" menu item in interfaceIT, selecting download inport files, selecting the 737NG, select input files, scrolling down the list until you get to "landing gear", download it, then assign it to your switch?

I have my sim in pieces right now and can't configure an .XML file for you but Steve's for the NG should get the job done.

Jon
Tomlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon

I sent a PM. Also, it seems that when I looked at some of these the other night that it said PMSys was req,but that was for a battery function. I will take a look at this for the gear. Just still looking for better documentation on how to work with the offsets and how to creat XML files since I am working on an 'odd' a/c (L45).

thanks,

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Jon Reply with quote

Jon's advice is bang on.. Use the IMPORT command and look at how it was done... Jon did the B747 xmls and you can learn a ton by seeing what he did on various things.
But. > the whole idea of the import function was to avoid having to learn very much. In this case you program and function AND likely learn how it was done.. Thats what I would do..
PC
Tomlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, thanks again for your support earlier today. I will try this tonight. As I said earlier, I looked at the import for another function that required PMSys, but then after this afternoon it dawned on me that was due to a different part of the beast altogether.

Thanks to all...

***UPDATE***

Well, the import worked just fine and yes, I learned a lot and confirmed a suspicion about the gear file. I believe a big help would be for me to look at PMSystems and that would seemingly (after looking thru tons of Import files) allow me to do quite a bit more.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: