Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Shepherd - Builder Profile
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: John Shepherd - Builder Profile Reply with quote

JS has been a very big supporter of Flightdeck Solutions over the past few years and his project is not one that many folks have had a chance to see. After much prodding John sent over some "update" shots to show the status at this point. John has one of our original Nose Sectionals and within that is a bevy of FDS product as well as numerous real items like seats and yokes. From the pictures you can instantly tell that this is a "Fly as you build" project and that JS is likely having an absolute blast with his three projector setup! Thank you John for the continued support and for sharing your project here with your fellow builders. Thank you! PC

Pics Here:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/view_page.php?id=54

Last edited by pcos on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
brissydave

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi js....thanks for letting us see your sim.... its brilliant to say the least! very inspiring.

i was wondering if you had any time to talk us though your amazing visual setup...maybe just a quick overview of the principles that you have used if its possible mate?

have you implemented any control loader type systems for the colums or any thing fancy like that? (any good stuff us sticky beaks should know about?)

oh...get ready for the endless questions about the throttle that is residing in your sim too.
Very Happy
dave.
melnato

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah John more details on your visuals and day shots(behind the scenes)...please.

Are you using TH2GO or WideView?

What version of FS?...love the way the taxi signs/lights GLOW

Nat
jsheph

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. The visual setup consists of 3, 1/4 inch sheets of plexiglass that are 5ft X 4ft angled at 45 degrees bolted to a wooden frame. I used an acrylic type glue to mend the left & right screen to the center screen. The plexi's were then painted with a product called screen-goo (www.goosystems.com) which produces the rear projection screen. This product is fantastic and produces a very clear image. The projectors are mounted under the frame and the image is then projected onto mirrors (5ft away) then back onto the screen. I am using the th2go with the zoom at .31. I debated at great lengths about using the th2go vs wideview or undocked screens. After I set up the th2go the decision was simple. It worked, and I was very happy with the results, framerates were high so I didn't try anyother setup. The next step will be to enclose the visuals screen with the shell and add plexi windows to my shell to give it a more realistic feel.

I haven't put in any control loaders to the control columns or my rudder pedals. I'm very happy with the combination of springs that I used so I will be staying there for now.

Thanks for the interest in my project.
SWeker

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY S**T! I can't get over how crisp and brilliant the visuals look. Bravo, great work John!!!! Shocked

What type of projectors do you have?
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

After all the research that was done by the owner of the above project and some other posts that have been made here, it is obvious to me that the TH2G is THE way to get the best combination of a wide view of the front with excellent performance and cost, not to mention seemless transitions of clouds and AI aircraft. This is a fantastic looking visual system, and I appreciate all the pictures and brief explanation.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
jsheph

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I'm using the Infocus IN26 projector.
brissydave

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john....if its possible, one more question from me.

can you tell me about the seams between each panel? do you think it would it be of any value to have a small radius at the two joins between the three panels? are they noticeable in flight?....does a taxiway stray off into a slightly different angle when it is half on one panel and half on the other?

(i have never EVEN turned a projector on in my life.... Smile )
melnato

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more for me too...

John, Is there any noticeable "crabbing" effect, sitting on one side or the other?

Nat
SWeker

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents,

Did a quick look-up on the projectors John's using, surprised and glad to see that they are nothing special! No offence intended John, but you've achieved awesome quality with average projectors.....WAY TO GO!

InFocus IN26 Portable DLP Projector Basic Specs:
MSRP: $999
Technology: DLP front projector
Native Resolution: XGA 1024x768
Brightness: 1700 lumens
Contrast: 2000:1
Zoom Lens ratio: 1.1:1
Lens shift: No
Lamp life: 3000 hours (no low power mode)
Weight: 6.0 lbs.
Warranty: 1 year parts/labor, optional extended warranties available
maytham

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's look a very nice work. The visual setup is amazing...
jsheph

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a little "crabbing effect" still, I have been playing with the eyepoint trying to get it worked out. I'm close, but no cigars yet.

As far as the seams I would recomend against having a radius at the seam simply because the projected image would be distorted when projected at an angle. After a while I don't notice the seam at all.

The best part of the projectors I chose was that I got them each for about $700 with a $250 mail in rebate!! SCORE!!!!
melnato

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, John,

Would it help if the forward view screen was angled slightly towards the captain?
I know the FO would suffer, but PIC is more important Wink

Nat
jsheph

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat,

I don't think that would matter much I notice the "Crabbing" much more from the FO side than I do the Capt. side.
loctiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Runway lights Reply with quote

I am using Matrox triple head to go with FSX. I run a 6800duo core 8800GTX and currently use 3 19" LCD's . The runway lights/taxi lights are overly large and blurred. I've read about a scalar setting for FS9.cfg will the same work to reduce the blurry lights in FSX.cfg?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: