Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Shepherd - Builder Profile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with everyone here pretty dam good but what is the screen in the backgound I dont get that one?

Dave you and I would love a setup like that ay! oh to work to work more money hehe Smile

I was also wondering if you could use a curved screen like the real sims to get the same effect?

Smile
jsheph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i'm looking at the same thing you are, the screen in the background is actually the mirror bouncing the image back onto the screen. Utilizing the mirrors saved my 5' of throw space.

I wanted a curved screen, the problem with that set up is you need to add in some very expensive equipment to "bend" the image around the curve. Without it, the only clear image would be on the part of the screen that is perpendicular to the projector, the rest of the image would be distorted.
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm ok thanks john can you put a pic that shows the mirror setup better so I can see how it works?

Laughing
Paul-A320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanna jump on the bandwagon and say that looks great. I'm eager to see the set up to, it definately looks the way to go!
warvet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys ,
Let me help you out abit, John's fantastic setup is actually very simple in design. He took 3 Plexiglass/Lexan panels and joined them together, before doing this he sprayed them with a product called Goo (You can buy it on Ebay). This product allows you to rear project through it as if it were a rear projection screen. Now he took 3 projectors and placed them below the screen level , if you look in the picture in the foreground, you will see one of the projectors. This beam now hits a mirror sitting on a saw horse type stand and aimed at the back of the screen. The mirror as stated by John is merely to cut the throw distance down in actual feet by fooling the projector into thinking its 2X as far from the screen than it really is. So basically the projector shoots an image away from the screen onto a mirror and bounces it back to the screen panels of painted lexan he has carefully placed and aligned in a wooden frame, additionally he seals the seam so it wont be noticed too much by the eye. His 3 projectors are a joined image through Matrox2go triple head system and voila a masterpiece of visual aviation is born. Hope this helps.

Tm
A340
Canada
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good tim but which side of the screen do you spray or does it not matter?
jsheph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, couldn't have said it better myself. Very Happy

You spray the side that the image is projected onto.
warvet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime my friend,
By the way guys I'm taking Johns setup 1 step further. As he originally took my mirror idea further, Ive moved forward with his, the beauty of this hobby is always improve it through constant change and information input from many sources.What I am doing is taking several pieces of 3/16 lexan a little larger than the window frame size of my deck and coating them with goo. Then placing the projectors in front of the sim bouncing off a mirror same as you see John doing. However the difference is my panels are screwed right to the window frames thus creating the total immersion illusion. This way you are forced to only see out the window as in real life. These are just my thoughts. High 5^ goes out to John for his initial groundwork into this ideaology.

Tim
A340
Canada
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh I'm getting all jealous hehehe cant wait til I get there one day Hey Tim put some pics up when your done dude!!! Laughing
NicD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking to do the same Tim, so interested in how you go. We demand pics! Very Happy

I won't be able to do this for a while coz the sim is in a narrow space for the time being.
warvet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise guys,
I just purchased the plexiglass today so hopefully soon. Ill keep ya posted. My first test was a sheet stapled to the window frame and it looked awesome so this should even be better.

Tim
A340
Canada
brissydave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to check again timmo....the mirror surface has to be on the outer surface doesnt it?....is that right?
melnato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I think they mean the side that faces the projector...ie. back of Plexi if its rear projected...

Quote:

You spray the side that the image is projected onto.

Nat
Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

This is exactly what I have had in mind for a couple of years now- putting the 'screen' where the actual windows are. Back when I was still on the 737 prject, this was perfect, but now with a Lear 45 being worked on, the dog-on windscreen on those are cast acrylic or somthing and round. DARN! Anyhow, the brilliant guy down in South America with the real 727 with first class section has done this same thing by draping sheets over the front of the flight deck and also the passenger windows and it looks great. I look forward to your results.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
mauriceb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warvet wrote:
Anytime my friend,
By the way guys I'm taking Johns setup 1 step further. As he originally took my mirror idea further, Ive moved forward with his, the beauty of this hobby is always improve it through constant change and information input from many sources.What I am doing is taking several pieces of 3/16 lexan a little larger than the window frame size of my deck and coating them with goo. Then placing the projectors in front of the sim bouncing off a mirror same as you see John doing. However the difference is my panels are screwed right to the window frames thus creating the total immersion illusion. This way you are forced to only see out the window as in real life. These are just my thoughts. High 5^ goes out to John for his initial groundwork into this ideaology.

Tim
A340 Canada

Tim,

I am really curious about whether this is the best option. It sounds really, really good, but I wonder if you are going to lose some of the depth perception by doing that. You will no longer need to focus your eyes at a distance to see the projected image and if I recall correctly, Fresnel lenses work by changing your focus point as well so that it looks like the image is much further away.

The other disadvantage that I see in your new method is that you can never 'lean over' to see a bit more of the outside view like you would do in a real plane if you wanted to see below or above the window frame. What you see is what you get in your case and I think this will detract rather than enhance the realism.

Having said that, I can't wait to hear from your personal experience. I really like your idea and I hope that my concerns are unfounded. So, anxiously waiting for your report Smile

Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: