Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange behaviour from SYS cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulWood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Strange behaviour from SYS cards Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my latest "funnys"

I saw the post about flashing LEDs, and checked as prescibed.

When I power up the sim, the PC with the InterfaceIT, PM Systems, USBs to the cards and Instructor has mains power, but is off. The overhead (still located close by, at the back of the shell), shows some LEDs best described as "pulsating" - not always the same ones, which makes it stranger.

I thought the problem may lay in the polarity of the mains (easy to change with continental plugs), so changed, but no difference.

Today I am testing the interface settings, and get some conflicts in the fuel section, with a Xfeed selector, and a pump power switch. Trying the "locate input" funtions to see if I have a problem, I see the switch jump from say 23 the correct one, to 62, Pack1, located at the other side of the overhead panel.

I checked the wiring, but can see no connection, or possibility to mix common wires, as each panel is wired on its own, with no connection betwixt.

On reconnecting, I see a different "jump to"point, this time Eng1Bleed, also on the pnuematics panel.

I can imagine everything being voltage sensitive, and am not sure the pulsating LEDs and confusing switch jumps are connected, but would appreciate if anyone can give some ideas of where to continue troubleshooting.

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Trouble shooting Reply with quote

Do you have a Powered USB Hub for the SYS1 card?
This is a handy item.
can you disconnect things and start plugging back in one by one until the problem arises?
I would like to do some tech support for you but think that email is likely better until we work through things. Would like to avoid a long exchange that may not be on the mark. Can regroup in here and discuss the outcome when we get there.
PC
brissydave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one little thing... i was gunna pm it...but here goes.
it regards the pre-fab looms that come from the cards..... and what we do with em.

the wire looms(groups of nine) in the package are all the same length...so all the joins are gunna be in the same area. i was having very funny things happen exactly like what you described.
my solution came when i jiggled the big bunch of wires (at the join area) around and spread em out from each other a bit.

so...even though i used heat shrink insulation at the solder points....there was obviously some sharp bits of solder poking out or something like that causing a prob...but i couldnt see 'em.... even after hours of looking.

totally my fault.

have a look ...could be worth a go?

Last edited by brissydave on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:13 am; edited 4 times in total
SWeker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul,
Are you removing power from your pc's after simming? In other words, does the problem only appear when you newly introduce power to the pc? I'm not referring to turning the pc on, but rather plugging it in or turning on the power bar.

Interested in your experience.....Thanks!
PaulWood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I use 3 powersupplies for the sim, from different wall outlets.
2 run the main pcs, and give power to the MIP and lighting - these are unplugged at the end of each session.
The third feeds into the rear, and socket bar in a bay in the galley. This feeds power to the projectors, rear cabin lighting, and the instructor station pc, also running pc sytems. This is not unplugged, but switched off on the socket bar.

The symptoms occur when I apply power to the rear - the pc is still off, but some LEDs illuminate. This pc is the last in the start sequence. The LED pulsing has always been an issue.

I checked out Dave's suggestion, but with the size of the ERJ overhead, no cable extensions are needed for the switches.

My latest theory lies with some problem with the pneumatics panel, as this is new addition, so I will start by diconnecting that section.

I will also try a new power source for the pc and cards.

Unfortunately, I'm bit limited to test at the moment, as I had hand surgery today - its taken me 10 mins to type this with my left hand!

Thanks for the suggestions Very Happy

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
brissydave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope your hand recovers 100 percent...good luck paul. Very Happy
SWeker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a similar situation when I introduce power to the pc's. It really doesn't pose any issue at all when simming, but distracting until I turn on the pc.

I think this is more of a pc issue rather than SYS card issue. Need to dig up my old PC booked to see if the USB ports pulse for a specific reason. May even be some type of setting within the BIOS. Will keep you posted.
PaulWood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

After singlehanded test effort (Sick joke!), I linked the cards up to my laptop - as I thought, no pulsing LEDs - so I agree its an issue of residual voltage in the USB ports.

Regarding the switches, I disconnected that section of the card, and have isolated the problem - I would guess to do with the earth return.

Now I have to wait to get my soldering hand back!

Another fine example of Murphys Law of Simbuilding - When you have both hands, you can't find the problem, and when you find the problem, you dont have the hands/parts/time/etc.

I promise to post some pics of this unique beast in situ in few weeks

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
vidarf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, when you said that I suddenly understood something here: I own the multiradio from Opencockpits, and when I exit the program, the backlight LED's still shine. Very dim, but they are there. So this might just be something that's related to the USB port, I guess...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: