Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angus Wighton's Project Overview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Angus Wighton's Project Overview Reply with quote

It is a great pleasure for me to introduce a local (to us!) builder who frequents the shop from time to time. Angus is a corporate pilot with a very wide range of experience on aircraft types. If that was not enough he still finds time to enjoy the challenges of building a simulator with nearby friends. Angus always comments that he is not after any specific aircraft type but more the immersive experience and some sense of Aircraft system logic. His setup is very immersive as you can see!

More Pics Here!
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/view_page.php?id=57

Last edited by pcos on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice work Angus Smile

It also show another approach of using visuals again.

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting setup. I like it. Nice to have visual all around I guess.

But how many computers needed for running this visual?

Smile
B747-400

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angus,

excellent setup!! Compliments!

Please tell us more about your visual!! How much computers, graphic cards, triple head to go's etc. ...
Angus Wighton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: How many computers needed for running this visual? Reply with quote

I have 3 PC Towers running the 7 "visual" monitors through the Wideview program.

Two of the PC's run 2 monitors each and one PC actually runs 3 monitors. The PC's are running Radeon 9800 Video Cards to produce excellent graphics.

Often when taxiing around in the very detailed Portland "Flightzone02" Scenery the graphics stutter slightly due to the extraordinary quality & detail of these fantastic airport sceneries, but in the air are very smooth. I look forward to one day having one PC for each monitor.

Most pilots that climb into my sim say that the only thing missing is the sim is the hydraulic jacks for motion, that is until they get airborne and make their first turn .... with the wrap around visuals you "feel" the turn immediately. From the one far corner of your field of sight around to the other, its hard not to feel the turn!
B747-400

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angus,

thanks for your fast reply!!
I can imagine, that your visual gives a superb feeling Cool

Are you running FSX or previous version?
Angus Wighton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Are you running FSX or previous version? Reply with quote

No, still running with my MSFS2004. The main reason is trying to keep things simple, and not messing with something that already works so well.

We all know the huge difference that came with the move to MSFS2004 from 2002 ... that was a dramatic improvement. I love to fly around in the Flightzone02 Scenery so much that I don't see the move to FSX being any true improvement in the scenery graphics without the obvious need to further crank up the graphics power of my "visuals" PC's. Right now, as a pilot, the Flightzone02 scenery does everything I want it to do in MSFS2004 for the realism of my simulator experience ..... the tar-sealed cracks in the taxiways and runways, the tufts of grass, the vehicles, the cones & ladders, the accurately depicted hangars & airport buildings, the tires marks in the touchdowns zones (MSFS has tire skid marks all the way down a 10,000 foot runway!!, who is landing those aircraft??!!), plus I have airline & 'Ultimate GA' corporate AI Traffic coming and going ..... its everything I need!!
B747-400

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
you are right "never touch a running system" Exclamation
Especially when you have three of them ...
Thanks for your information!
vidarf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you running FSX or previous version? Reply with quote

Angus Wighton wrote:
(MSFS has tire skid marks all the way down a 10,000 foot runway!!, who is landing those aircraft??!!)

Take a quick tour through Youtube, and you'll find a lot of kiddo's landing the 747 nosewheel-first.
It is everything it promise to be: As real as it gets. If you land a 747 on the nosegear, you WILL have skidmarks all the way down the runway. And in the boxershorts of the blokes in the tower as well... Very Happy
Angus Wighton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was writing a personal reply today to a question about the visuals on my simulator and made note of the fact that Peter & his staff have got a kick out of the fact that I am not building a type-specific simulator:

As a corporate pilot over the past 20 years I have flown the Citation, Falcon 10, Falcon 20, Westwind, Challenger 601 and now the Gulfstream IV. Many corporate pilots even fly two different types for the same company, as I did with a Westwind and a Challenger ... two jets that could hardly be more different! So I am used to adapting the different cockpit layouts.

My sim uses PMDG Add-on B737 software, and the FDS B737 Overhead Panel, the entire glareshield, MCP & CDU; the cockpit dimensions & Instrument Panel layout resemble the Challenger 604, as does the location of the CDU's; the center consule matches the design of the Global Express.

I designed a Throttle Quadrant around my GoFlight unit that as you can see resembles the B757/B767 TQ. The 2 Guarded Toggle Switches on the TQ are the HP Fuel Switches, for which Peter created Annunciators that read ENGINE #1 CUTOFF with Red LEDs, and ENGINE #1 FUEL RUN with Green LEDs. The other Guarded Toggle Switch will soon be the Parking Brake, with its own "PARKING BRAKE - ON" red LED Annunciator .... all programmed through my FDS SYS 2 and SYS 3 Cards.

Right now I am presently constructing my Nosewheel Steering system using a washer-less plumbing faucet (which I decided most closely matched the "feel" of an aircraft's hydraulic powered steering system) which then connects to the top "twist" motion of a G-Force Joystick. The steering wheel attached to the top of the water faucet is designed to look like my favourite steering wheel (from the Falcon 10/Falcon 50 which is beautifully shaped to fit around each knuckle when you place your hand on it) ... which we carved out of 3/4 inch MDF. True to my standard of non-type-specific, the Nosewheel Steering Switch installed right beside the Falcon 10 Steering Wheel is of course one of Peter's stunning IBL products from the B737 MIP Package ... wow, those IBL panels look so good when the sim room lights are dimmed!!

If you are a new builder, one of the first items on your shopping list should be those IBL panels, they bring your cockpit to life ...

Thanks for the magic Peter!!
Jetcos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Flying with Angus and his Sim Reply with quote

Pete and I had the pleasure of meeting up with Angus and seeing his Sim. Very nice set-up indeed! The visuals as mentioned do provide a sense of motion as we made our first turn after Pete's departure out of the Portland area scenery Angus has installed. Angus started our flight experience with a quick run down of systems and the overall layout of the flightdeck. Explaining the aircraft versions he used to create the sim. We also had a breifing before our departure to Vancouver CYVR. Angus provided the flight route and a sheet to copy the clearance info from Ground (which was Angus), this provided an excellent way for flight planning in the future if you fly on Vatsim or are using FS Notams for winds and runway info off the Comm radio's. Angus' very calm demeanor made for a relaxing introduction to his sim and he explained procedures he uses in real life flying. I may have asked about a thousand questions (maybe 100?), but he answered everyone with great detail. You think I was working on my type rating. Getting ready for our departure the scenery is amazing with all the details you would expect from the front windows of an aircraft. A few more instructions, Nav and Comm setting and checklists we were ready to "position and hold". Pete lined up the aircraft and C-GSIM was cleared for departure. Pete's departure was nicely executed and I think even Angus was impressed (I was, but Pete is a good sim pilot) and we were cleard to our cruise altitude. Time to switch seats now and grab a quick drink of bottled water. My turn in the left seat, and Angus continued with his tutorial and explained systems (more questions by me) , a few FMC changes and planning our descent into CYVR. Following the flightplan and planning our runway info we settled in for the landing. My landing wasn't too bad and we landed in CYVR with happy passengers and taxied to the Biz ramp.

Angus reset the flight back to Portland and did a circuit for me hand flying and offering more insight into using the Flight Director. Pete and I both learned how that works and with Angus' help have a better understanding. I plan to use it more often to "hand fly" instead of just being a "button pusher" on my weekly Multi flight I fly with my father and a few friends. Then it was my turn to do a couple. Not being too nervous (yeah right!) I took off like a rocket and spent a few minutes chasing the plane all over the place but again Angus walks you thru it in his calm manner and we are heading out to complete the circuit. The landing had a good bounce and a few call out's on the way in like "BANK ANGLE!" keep you on your toes! Completed one more circuit which went better than the first and we taxied back to the ramp.

Can't say enough about Angus' patience explaining the systems and the reasoning behind some of the procedures we followed. It was eye opening and has changed the way I will be flying at home. Nice work Angus on your Sim and special thanks from Pete and I for taking the time to let us go on a flight!

Continued success with your Sim,

Steve Cos
Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sim is a very good example of Pete's 'Fly while you build' reminder. The sim looks very nice and is very fucntional, despite being built from a variety of aircraft influences. I can imagine that it would be a blast to fly and has been a lot of fun to build. Just goes to show that you dont have to have everything perfect down to the last dzus fastener to enjoy FS home decks!

Thanks for showcasing here on the site.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
flyboy01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angus,
Your sim looks fantastic. I just hope mine looks as good as yours when I finish. Just wondering how long it has taken you to get to the stage you are at now? I have been working on mine for just over a year now and it seems like i am still so far away from finishing. Like every builder the light at the end of the tunnel seems so far away, and at times seems to get further away. Any way, Congrats on the fantastic effort and many happy and safe landings. "Any landing walked away from is a good one". Even when i crash i still seem to walk away, so it must have been a good one.
Cheers
Trevor Wimmer
B737NG
Australia
Angus Wighton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments Trevor! Its kind of funny when you say that you hope yours will be as nice as mine when you are finished, because I am no different then all the other sim builders: we tend to focus too much on our own imperfections!

However as Tomlin before you said, everyone should take Peter's encouragement to heart: "Fly while you build" .... no better words were ever spoken.

I spent about a year researching the internet, for hours at a time, to decide on which products to buy. Sometimes I waited too long and the product was no longer available. Sometime I purchased products only to find better ones came along not long after. One day while visiting Peter's shop he proudly showed me a new product line they were about to announce on their website: The B737 Navs & Comms ..... I groaned: I had just the week before received all my Navs & Comms from GoFlight. Oh well, nothing's perfect, right?!

Then I spent hours designing every measurement of the simulator to see that everything would fit where I wanted it to. Also in that first year it was a learning process, coming to terms with spending ridiculous amounts of money on my "hobby"!! Soon it occured to me that other guys had Harley's, powerboats, RV's .... I was no different, it was just that my passion happened to be: building my own simulator.

As a long time "flight simmer" it had always been a dream to build my own full sized cockpit somehow, and when I started my internet research I realized that I wasn't the only idiot out there!

Construction started about 2 years ago Trevor .... so I am quite a bit ahead of you, so don't worry about your progress, just keep following the light at the end of the tunnel. My passion in building my simulator is that I love to fly it, and fly it alot. During the building process I worked hard to get to that point that I could first start flying it ...... so that after each long day of blood sweat & tears I could then reward myself with some more flying. Go ahead, make my day.

It was flying long before I had a roof on the cockpit, long before I had the FDS Overhead Panel ..... so do the same ...... make it a priority to get some part of your simulator "flyable", as soon as you can, so that YOU TOO can reward yourself after another long day on the construction side.
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good post from a real-world pilot there Angus! I have my sim 'based' at the Bombardier ramp at KICT (Wichita, KS) where the LJs are built. All of my test flights have been conducted out of that airport except for a few where I go to complex add-on scenery to test graphics and system performance, but the point is that although I havent flown a
full flight from A to B quite yet (the 'delivery' flight is scheduled in a few weeks!) I do still fly even though there's quite a bit left to do.

I have read that some folks dont want to fly it at all until it's all finished, but I think you could get burned out pretty easy by that seeing as some projects take years to complete, IF they are ever really 'complete'.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: