Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen Goo anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lkirgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Screen Goo anyone? Reply with quote

I'm still trying to find the best way to get a great front visual system out of the cockpit. I have tried shining my projector out in front onto a wall. I didn't like the openness between me and the wall... just didn't feel right. I tried the bed sheet idea on a plexiglass windscreen which gave a better feel of being inside a cockpit but wasn't very clear. I recently tried the two plexiglass panels from a big screen tv which I felt gave me the best between the two others but has some fuzziness on the outer edges that drives me crazy (looks good at night). So, I was going to try a Dazian rear projected screen layed onto a clear plexiglass windscreen until I came across Screen Goo. You take this special paint and spray it right on to the clear plexiglass windscreen and then hit it with the projector and it should be bright and clear. Has anyone heard of or tried it? What was your experience if you have? Here is some information: http://www.theaterthings.com/goo-inf...hat-is-goo.asp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
warvet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,
Im very curious about this 2 Big Screen panels, how did you do that. You used 2 big screen TVs? Please explain

Tim
A340
Canada
bwr014

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a simulare techniek last year when i was at the show in paris at the aiport of Le Bourget.

In the musea they used this techniek as well to project something on a white milk color plaxi glass.

I was also suprised about the effect. Only point was that it was only a small piece and complete straight. So i have no idea what the effect will be ones you start to use it in a bending way and what will be left of the projection then..

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
lkirgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 62" DLP Diamond Mitsubishi tv which has to have a bulb replaced about +3,000 hours. This last time, I was telling my tv technician about the flightsim and he mentioned to me that he had some extra plexiglass panels out of another tv that was repaired and said I could have them to try and make my windows.

On the front of my tv is two large plexiglass panels, one which is a translucent milky white color and the front one which is a dark gray. I had a local glass cutter cut the size I needed from the "heart" (center out) of these two panels for me. I then placed them in the cockpit and reflected FS9 from a projector onto a mirror and then onto the back (milky white side) of the tv plexiglass's and that was it. It worked fairly well except for the fuzzyness out towards the outer edges.

I'm now going to try this goo stuff in hopes of getting a crisper all around picture. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
warvet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Lyle,
Thanks for explaining that. Sounds like your on the right track. Very Happy

Tim
A340
Canada
jsheph

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle,

I used the rear projection Screen Goo and sprayed it on plexiglass, works great. If you have any questions, send me a pm.
safetyrob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Plexiglass panels Reply with quote

I am new to the home built sims and am just now researching how to do this what is needed or what i want. I saw your post on the projecting off mirrors onto the plexiglass painted with goo. So the plexiglass panels have been cut and placed into the wind screens of your cockpit with the projection bouncing of the mirrors and rear projected onto the panels? does this not bring the view too close and less realistic?

Rob
warvet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
What your describing is not functional because if panels were cut to fit windows you would have no centre view from F/O sde to Capt side and Vice Versa. So you have to put it just abit in front of the windows. This is what i've done and its very realistic. anyway JMO

Tim
A340
Canada
lkirgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have the SSTD B737NG model the copilot view is not an issue. I haven't received the goo so not sure it's goona work yet. I have thrown the picture on a wall about 50" out in front but I feel this big void or emptiness between where I sit and the picture on the wall. I have been flying on monitors since the 1st MS fightsim came out so this should work ok. The windsceen is not vertical. It touches up near the bottom of the over head and extend out and down past the edge of the glareshield. The distance from my eye site point to the top of the windscreen is 24" and the distance from my eye point to the bottow of the glare screen is 40". Plus by doing it this way for me encloses my environment better to my satisfaction. Look at John Shepards design. If I had the room that is exactly what I would do. He is a Featured Builder on the front page of the web site. Once I get my setup completed I'll drop a picture or video by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: