Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

737 Rudder pedals construction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauriceb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: 737 Rudder pedals construction Reply with quote

I have finally completed my linked rudder pedals (minus interface). I used real Boeing pedals but the linkages started with an idea from Alain Tremblay (thanks Alain) which I modified as I wanted to use gas springs instead of elastic bands for the tension on the pedals.

Well, this turned out to be an ordeal as I am very lousy at visually how things work mechanically and I had to basically try & fail a hundred times before I got them working the way I like them to work.

The gas springs for the brakes were easy enough to figure out, but the gas springs for the pedals were another thing. I finally found a way that works perfectly and the key part was to have one end of the gas spring not attached to anything but still be able to remain in a certain track at all times. I did that by enclosing them inside a tube. The tube itself is attached at one end and is able to pivot.

This is how it works. When I push on one pedal, the associated gas spring compresses normally and the gas spring on the other pedal is simply pulled out of the tube by the other pedal since it is only attached to the pedal arm and is free at the other end.

When I release the pedal, the centering is done automatically since both gas springs exert just a tiny bit of pressure on the pedals without compressing the gas springs at all, so the pedals always come back to exact center. If the gas springs were attached at both ends, then the gas
springs would both have to be compressed half way at the center neutral position and the center position would be hard to maintain properly unless both gas springs exerted exactly the same tension at the center of their travel. I'm not an expert with gas springs, but I would think this would be very hard to achieve due to different tolerances.

I must say I love the feel of the gas springs. It is always smooth and never jerky at all for both for the pedals and the brakes and I'm very happy with the results.

And now, all I have to do is figure out how to add the pots & interface. Piece of cake! Rolling Eyes

More pics here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560928860GxpIoQ

Maurice
warvet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Maurice, very nice job my friend. Very Happy

Tim
A340
Canada
Pete737

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer! Very Happy

Sincerely, Pete
B747-400

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
compliments. Seems a very clever construction to me!
After painting my columns, fitting the rudders and linkage into me sim is the next thing to me too ...
Alaintrea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great construction Maurice, Congratulations...!
Your idea for gas spring is very nice. I am sure it is working very fine. The main difficulty in the rudder construction is to get the rudders back in the center. So the way you did it is certainly working perfectly. The way I used (elastic bands) works very find too. The difficulty is to ajust it the first time. Once done it ok for a while. The price is the only difference...
Happy to see that I may inspire some new ideas...Smile
Its the goal of making a web site and sharing our passions...
All the best,

Last edited by Alaintrea on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mauriceb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaintrea wrote:

Its the goal of making a web site and sharing our passions...
All the best,

And you certainly inspired me with your excellent tutorial. Thank you again for sharing your design and saving me a lot of grief & time. The main reason I went with the gas springs is that they came with the rudder pedals I bought & I thought I should find a way to use them. But that cost me a lot of time before I found a solution that was in fact quite simple in the end.

Merci beaucoup,
Maurice
Alaintrea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tout le plaisir est pour moi... Wink
Michal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said elsewhere Maurice, very nice engineering.
brissydave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant morrry.

i did the thing where you rip your hair out and yell at your missus and throw springs at the wall as hard as possible.

springs are out of fashion this summer. gas struts are on the cat walks everywhere.
melnato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"And now, all I have to do is figure out how to add the pots & interface."

You kidding Maurice? After your TQ, and now rudder masterpiece,
a teeny weeny pot will be a breeze Smile

Congrats,

Nat
mauriceb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brissydave wrote:
brilliant morrry.

i did the thing where you rip your hair out and yell at your missus and throw springs at the wall as hard as possible.

springs are out of fashion this summer. gas struts are on the cat walks everywhere.

Don't worry Brissy. I hear that full figure models are appearing on the cat walks more & more these days so that young girls will not be encouraged to thin themselves into oblivion. So, these gas struts may well go the way of the Dodo bird as well and be replaced by full-figure beefy springs some day Very Happy

Maurice
mauriceb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melnato wrote:
Quote:
"And now, all I have to do is figure out how to add the pots & interface."

You kidding Maurice? After your TQ, and now rudder masterpiece,
a teeny weeny pot will be a breeze Smile

Congrats,

Nat

This isn't false modesty at all, but believe it or not, I am very 'mechanically challenged'. You should have seen the contraptions I tried before I settled on this one. It would have made any first year mechanical engineer students roll up on the floor laughing .

I too was amazed at my infantile early attempts at this contraption and I was ready to throw in the towel & give up with those gas springs when a sudden flash of insight hit me on the head d'oh! . Looks simple now, but it was rocket science for a long time for me.

Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: