Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

light test switch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: light test switch Reply with quote

Hello fellow builders Smile

I have an small issue and think I might have done something wrong. I am in no way skilled with programming or bit/byte stuff Laughing

This is the case.

I have sys-3 card w/software, for MIP installed on FS-computer.

I have sys-1 card w/software, for overhead installed on PFD/ND computer, and also PM-systems is here.

I have configured all the 64 sys-1 switches on the overhead and it communicate perfect over the computer-network. I have only configured a few LED outputs on the overhead.

When I press down the "light test" switch, all LED`s on MIP light up but none is lighted on the overhead. I have only installed downloaded XML-files. Not tweaked in any way.

Does anybody have any idea of why the overhead LED`s dont light up?

Anyway, thanks to the sys-boards I can have my dream working Smile It would take me 10 years to learn how to program all those switches which I configured in 1,5 hour Smile

picture of progress here. Have cheated with the sys-software LED-test to light up the LED`s on the overhead Laughing

Today I have for the first time started up from cold and dark with hardware Smile That was a huge moment for me Smile
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Brent Reply with quote

Ivar,
I asked Brent about this and his comment was:

"Since the software is on two different machines there is notinteraction and they operate independant (by design). If he needs a function to work across multiple machines then he needs to use fsuipc offsets to do this. He just needs to use an unused offset and assisgn data to it when a switch is pushed vs setting an internal variable. Make sense?"
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I had an idea of that could be the problem.

It makes sense to me Smile

Easyest would probably to move the sys-3 card over to the computer where sys-1 card is. Try that tomorrow Smile
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so fast Ivar...tell me about your visuals...PLEASE!

Nat
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My visual is very simple.

Tripplehead2go and three beamers attached to the roof Smile

All 3 beamers pointing forward. Very wide forward wiew. ca 4,5 meter.

It sure gives a feeling of being in the air Very Happy
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, light test working properly Smile

I used the export function in sys-software and exported my settings to a file. Then moved the sys-3 card to the other computer, and imported the file again with the import function and saved.

That was easy, one cup of coffee and it was done Smile
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Light Test Reply with quote

Perfect. Thats great.. How cool to flip one switch and have the entire flightdeck Light up. You could charge admission to this group I bet!
The things we get excited about around here... Smile
PC
vidarf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! I got that same feeling some days ago, when the first annunciators came to life for the first time. I was on the brink of drooling!

I've said it before, and I'll say it as long as I can: The SYS cards makes simulator interfacing so easy it's kind of boring! Smile
FDS and Peter: Thank you for a truly fantastic product!
brissydave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivar....you going to go with the wrap-around-visuals-ala-the-master-NicD?

your attention to detail is terrific.
mauriceb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivar Hestnes wrote:
My visual is very simple.

Tripplehead2go and three beamers attached to the roof Smile

All 3 beamers pointing forward. Very wide forward wiew. ca 4,5 meter.

It sure gives a feeling of being in the air Very Happy

Sorry for being off original topic here, but just a quick question re. visuals. Are your projectors showing an expanded front view only or are the side projectors showing undocked left forward & right-forward views?

Nick D. was experimenting with both setups and I don't know what was his final choice, so how are you doing it? Looks great either way Wink

Thanks,
Maurice
Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Light Test Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
Perfect... You could charge admission to this group I bet!
The things we get excited about around here... Smile
PC

Hey PC, you should have seen how excited I got the day that I imported the landing gear indicators in and had them wired and they worked right the first time, right off the bat. I about flipped the computer off my then-desktop test set-up I was so elated!

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brissydave: Well it is a future plan to wrap the visual around like Master NicD. His setup is the reference of visuals. But it is not first priority. I have still lots of hours to spend inside the shell.

These days I have worked with the parts that are bought from suppliers. TQ and overhead. Still some adjustments to do on the TQ Wink

Maurice: My projectors all point straight forward and shows an very wide forward wiew with the tripplehead2go. No undocking. Using FS2004 with lots of addons and a pentium4 3,6ghz with 2 gigs of ram. Stable on 20 FPS.

I think NicD use undocked sidewiews with the tripplehead2go unit to wrap the visual around. I think that is what I will go for aswell.

But I have some issues with space in my sim-room. The projectors cant be under the roof if wrapping visual around. Not enough clearance to the shell. So it must be backprojecting via mirrors I guess.

On the above image it looks like I have side-visual but that is not the case. Picture is taken from behind the shell. When I sit in my kitchen-chair Laughing and thinking like a bird, I cant see any of the screen out of the side windows. But a great wiew forward Smile

It really gives a good sense of flying now. Some of my neighbours came and visit me a couple days ago. They only know that the thingy they go on vacation with is called a plane Laughing And they sure got dizzy when I take off Laughing
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perfect. Thats great.. How cool to flip one switch and have the entire flightdeck Light up. You could charge admission to this group I bet!
The things we get excited about around here...
PC

PC

You can come and try the switch

And I can charge you some more panels Laughing
NicD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah guys... like Ivar says.. space is the key issue with visuals. We don't actually have the space to do what we're doing so thats why we're doing tricks with curved mirrors. But I'd rather not be using them like we are if I had enough space. Affects the quality of the image too much.

You're gonna all groan when I say this Smile ... we are now using 5 undocked view windows, and still the 3 projectors. Now that World Flight is over I can finally take some pics of this and write up some explanation. I finally feel quiet satisfied with this setup. Perspective is good, wrap-around is good... and believe it or not.. frame rates remain quite good around 20 FPS (except for extended use of Sqwuakbox which drops it down after a while).

During World Flight I had two crew recovering from motion sickness. And we have no motion platform Very Happy
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait to see those new pictures with some details NicD Very Happy

Awesome, you are the visual man Smile

And the motion vs visual. When you can get airsickness when on ground in a homebuilt simulator, motion is absolutely not needed.

I was lucky to try SAS flight academy 737ng sim earlier this year and instructor forgot to turn on the motion. Nobody noticed that until he found out himself and told us Laughing

But if there was a movement I would really like to have, it would be the braking effect when landing. That you could really feel Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: