Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question for PMDG 737 drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: A question for PMDG 737 drivers Reply with quote

First, my setup -

PMDG 737NG;
PMDG front view (3 monitors, Matrox triple head to go),
PMDG PFD/ND via an undocked window;
Project Magenta for EICAS.
------------------------------------
I use FDS Sys3 card for my MIP
------------------------------------

I have been successful with configuring the N1, SPEED REF and Autobrake hardware switches to my setup via SyS3. When i use the autobrake switch I have an indication on my EICAS confirming the same. This confirms that Project Magenta EICAS is reacting to the FSUIPC update that SYS3 is sending when i use the switch. However, i notice that when i switch between the different AB levels (while Project Magenta EICAS (upper) indicates the same reliably), the PMDG panel (that i have not taken off completely yet; i have retained it on a small section of my pilot display LCD for the test purposes) - DOES NOT follow the physical switch.

By that i mean, even though the physical switch is at AB1 and EICAS is indicating AB1, the PMDG switch has not moved, it is still where it was originally. Which can mean that PMDG flight model may not even be registering my AB1 requirement at all OR it could mean that the software panel switch is merely not indicating it but the flight model has infact registered it.

This is unlike my MCP or EFIS situation where if I flip a swtich on CPFlight hardware. the PMDG MCP or EFIS will actually follow through.

I understand why there is a difference - PMDG responds to keystrokes sent by the MCP/EFIS and hence the PMDG software MCP/EFIS reacts to any change in the MCP/EFIS hardware.

I tried with the N1 and the Speed Ref switch, the same result. The equivalent switches on PMDG do NOT follow the physical switch. Not only that - another validation is that when you switch the N1 switch, the PFD is supposed to indicate the same on the bottom left of the PFD It DOES NOT.

It ONLY does when i use the mouse to click N1 settings on the PMDG switch on screen.

I have come to understand that the difference is that the Autobrake, N1 and Speed Ref switches are mouse-clickable switches and cannot be controlled via a keystroke - versus the MCP/EFIS switches which have a keystroke combination that can be used to control them.

With this as a background - here is my question -
How does one get PMDG to react to these switch inputs?

There are two aspects to this -

a) if its purely an annunciation that is not coming up - such as in the case of the SPEED REF switch where despite giving it some input the PFD wont indicate the same - i could live without it

b) But in the case of the autobrake switch, if PMDG is not reacting to the switch at all, then merely having my project magenta EICAS indicate the same is not very helpful.

-----------------------------------------------
Any input on this from those of you out there who are PMDG drivers will be very valuable.

Thanks,
CPJ
vidarf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for this sidetrack, but if you own Project Magenta - why do you still use the PMDG panels???
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons - and the most important one - tighter integration between the PFD/ND, the aircraft, the flight model, the Engavity FMS.

From my recollection, the reason i made the switch was that when i bought the Engravity FMS, i came to realize that now i had to deal with one more set of integration issues - between the engravity FMS (which was tightly integrated with PMDG), and with PM. I tried for sometime and realized it was costing me a lot of time.

Regards,
CPJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: