Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIP Functionality Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdjung1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: MIP Functionality Questions Reply with quote

All,

I am busily wiring away on my MIP and wanted to ask the community for opinons and info on the utility of various functions.

First, I did not see an output listed for the "Speedbrake Do Not Arm" annunciator. Looked through the list carefully and I didn't spot it. Sometimes the functions go by other names, any assist on that would be great.

Second, on the autobrake panel there are scads of possible inputs to wire and I am getting into the "lav light" debate about what to actually hook up. Obviously the autobrake switch is a must, but I wanted to get a sense from the experts about what you think of the utility of each of the following:

-Fuel Flow (rest / rate / used)
-MFD (Sys / Eng)
-N1 Set (2 / 1 / Auto / Both)
-SPD REF (Set / Auto / V1 / VR / WT / VREF)

That's a pile of inputs and I'm not sure what actual functionality you get if you make them active:

1) For example, what good is being able to set the SPD REF to V1 if you can't dial in the speed Issue? (No functional outer knob)

2) Does hooking up the Fuel Flow switch actually add any functionality on the EICAS? (Does it really change the information on fuel used, rate, or allow a reset?)

3) The same goes for the MFD Sys/Eng buttons. Would I actually get functionality if I hooked them up?

(Note: Bill Bulfer's cockpit companions says ENG- single push displays hydraulic indications on lower DU, or if the lower DU is not available on the inboard DU, based on position of the display selet panel selector, optional displays brake temp and flight control surface position indications. second push blanks lower DU. SYS- single push displays hydraulic pressure and quantity on lower DU. second push blanks lower DU.)

I have a lower DU display and it would be way cool if that actually worked, but does it?

Looking forward to hearing from you 737 drivers!

Sincerely,
CJ

P.S. I searched the site for a similar discussion and the only reference to the above functions (which I copied from another post) talks about them in list form with no discussion of actual functionality.
bwr014

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ,

maybe you can do a check in the FSUIPC docs and see if there is any Offset for the named function you mention here..

I also dont know if this is even available in the PM software.

If there is no software functionality in your mention functions or from FSUIPC direct otherwise PM, it will not be possible to interface that as well..

Of course you also can play arround a bit with the interfaceIT software if you manual put in some Offset information and see what happens when you flip a switch Smile

gr.

Frans M
frans@flightdecksolutions.com
cdjung1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frans,

Well, the interesting thing is that there are downloadable input files for the SYS boards that include actions for the listed functions:

Fuel Flow (rest / rate / used)
-MFD (Sys / Eng)
-SPD REF (Set / Auto / V1 / VR / WT / VREF)

(I didn't spot one for -N1 Set (2 / 1 / Auto / Both))

I assume that there are pioneers out there who have already "been there and done that" with respect to testing functionality of these files. I doubt that I'm the first, but if so I'll conduct some experiments and post the results.

CJ
SWeker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my experience:

'SpeedBrake Do Not Arm' - Looked at it briefly too many conditions, but this was prior to PMSystems.....maybe easy now. Have to relook.

'Fuel Flow' - All settings work great through the PM magic offset (04F4). Shows fuel flow, fuel used, and will reset fuel used.

'MFD' - I use this to scroll through the upper and lower engine pages (also 04F4)

'N1' - Works, but useless without rotary encoder

'SPD REF' - Works, but useless without rotary encoder
cdjung1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve!

You're one of my flightsim heroes! (Bet you didn't know you had secret admirers) Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It was, in fact, your post that I found that had the list of MIP functions discussed.

My intent at this point is to wire up the autobrake switch, the fuel flow switch, and the MFD ENG/SYS buttons. Those all seem like good functions to have readily available. Maybe someday somebody really smart will figure out how to do the inner/outer knob setup for the other functions, but since they mostly remain in "auto"' anyway I can survive without them (for the moment Smile ).

I assume that with the offsets already being built into the interfaceit software that no additional tweeking is required. I say that because I'm not sure if the offset you mention requires any additional user intervention to get functionality. Standing by for your wisdom if you don't mind.

Lastly, the MFD buttons that I got from FDS have four pins on the back. I can and will experiment to see how they function, but would you happen to know the proper wiring configuration? (There are four pins arranged in a square the poke through the plexi holder)

Thanks in advance for your assistance and keep updating your web page! By the way, where did you get the awesome interior linings? They look absolutely superb.

Sincerely,

CJ
SWeker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem CJ,

All the XML's you'll need are within InterfaceIT, so you are correct, no tweaking required! That's why I love InterfaceIT so much.

As for the MFD buttons, yes they have 4 leads, but only two are required. Use a multi-meter, set it to continuity and when it beeps (when pressed), you have the correct leads.

As for the linings, the link where I got them is on my website.

Good luck!
vidarf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, check this one out:

Problem solved! Smile

Just make the shafts as long as you need, and you should be good to go.
vidarf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For thosde who doesn't understand: This is a PCB with one rotary encoder and one rotary selector. They are connected to a dual concentric shaft via gears.
Simplicity? I think so! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: