Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AFT Overhead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoePCP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: AFT Overhead Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Finally got round to installing the AFT Overhead (737). Does anybody know if there are XML files for the AFT panel and where they're located. Or is it possible to light them up using the FSUIPC method.

Thanks
Joe.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

What software are you running?

Sim-A or PM?
JoePCP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I'm running PM.

Regards
Joe.
JoePCP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Steve,

I just realised who I was talking to... Embarassed

Regards
Joe.
tugo31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AFT Overhead Reply with quote

JoePCP wrote:
Hi Guys,

Finally got round to installing the AFT Overhead (737). Does anybody know if there are XML files for the AFT panel and where they're located. Or is it possible to light them up using the FSUIPC method.

Thanks
Joe.

I just finished wiring and programing my AFTOVHD using the FDS-SYS3X System Interface Card and PMSYSTEMS. if you want i can help you with the offsets for FSUIPC for inputs and outputs, i might save you some time doing research.
JoePCP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very kind of you Tugo31, I would be grateful.

How do we proceed with this, can you send me the XML files, or a list of offsets?

Kind regards
Joe.
tugo31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoePCP wrote:
That's very kind of you Tugo31, I would be grateful.

How do we proceed with this, can you send me the XML files, or a list of offsets?

Kind regards
Joe.

Maybe it will be a great idea if you send me the list of the inputs and outputs you have wired and you want to make them work.

One of the bad things about PMSYSTEMS is that is not finished yet (thats what the support team told me one year ago), i mean, not all the functions are available, but you can assign the offsets and when they update the program they will be, for example, in the IRS section, some of the outputs are not ready yet, as the DC FAIL and FAULT, and the ENGINE SECTION dont work yet and the OXYGEN GAUGE too, after all i have all running.

I dont know if SIM AVIONICS handle all the AFTOVHD logics including all the FLIGHT ILLUSION GAUGES especially (OXYGEN PRESSURE), but i been thinking about switching from PM to SIM AVIONICS, even if i have to program all my FWD OVHD based on FSBUS CARDS and is the reason i havent.

Let me know what you think, ill be happy to help you.
JoePCP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that PM Systems is in a state of constant update, so perhaps when it's finished we'll have all the modules working, as far as possible anyway.

I've not really looked at Sim-Avionics having invested so much time in PM. However I keep my eye on all the 737 sim developments.

The inputs I'd like to function are really only the IRS functions:

Off
Align
Nav
Att

The Outputs if possible

LE Devices
Flaps
Slats

GPS
Align
On DC
DC Fail
Fault

Gear Left
Gear Right
Gear Nose

Reverser 1 & 2
Engine Control 1 & 2

SPEU

Which is just about all of them. Wink

Kind regards
Joe.
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Outputs Reply with quote

You folks can easily share by creating XML files.
That is how all the interfacing has been done, primary overhead XMLs are on our server. If we have accurate Aft Over versions, tested, we can upload as well.
PC
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sales pitch here...promise...but after installing my minimaly wired original AFT OH (PM),
I almost cried (with joy), whan I realised I had to take the AFT OH down and rewire the whole thing...because it all works in Sim-A,
even the OVERSPEED and STALL TEST buttons!

(I really have to update my pictures)

Nat
JoePCP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nat,

To move from one software to another involves quite an investment, both in time and finance.
No sales pitch here either; but I've been using PM for nearly two years now and sure it's always in a state of development; but for the most part it suits me fine. I'm perhaps not as knowledgeable as some users, so the finer details don't concern me as much.
When I looked at Sim-A it was nowhere near as complete as it obviously is now, which was why I went with PM.

Regarding the Aft O/H I think the only items modelled in FS are the ones I've asked about, so the others don't really make that much difference, well to me anyway. Wink

Incidentally Nat why did you have to rewire your O/H to use Sim-A? I would have thought wiring to switches and LEDs are simply that, wiring to switches and LEDs. So why the rewire?

Joe
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

It wasnt a matter of re-wiring, but more a case of having to wire all the rest of the Aft OH
which I didnt bother with back when I had PM running (plus a bit of haste on my part).
While I was at it, I decided to neaten up the Aft along with the FWD OH,
luckily the Aft is pretty "light" when it comes to switches and annunciators Smile
But in short...yes switches are switches, nothing to do with switching to Sim-A.

Nat
JoePCP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nat,

That makes more sense, now I understand. Very Happy

In fact if I was wiring my forward O/H again I would do it differently, probably a lot neater too.... Wink

I used Open Cockpits panels for the Aft, very good they are too. Although creating a matrix of LEDs for the flap/slats panel was a nightmare.
it's to complicated to fit on a vero board and I have no experience in circuit board design. So it was a matter of wiring them insitu, creating a matrix of wires based on sets of two LEDs wired to the leads going to the SYS card. I used IDC cables and plugs in sets of 10 to make installation and removal a bit easier.
Obviously with one cable for the negatiive lead and one unused in each set of 10.

I think it's taken me just as long to explain as it did to wire them all. Laughing

Regards
Joe.
N737AG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe :

I did something similar to Nat. I received my OH and my Aft OH perfectly and nicely wired from FDS, using the functions available from PM.

But pretty soon I realized that since things evolve, I didn't want to find myself in the situation of having to wire additional switches on an already finished sim. You know, it is pretty unconfortable, or you have to disassemble mayor parts.... I didn't want to do that.

So I completely rewired my entire OH and Aft OH, accomodating for each switch and light and connecting all to the SYS boards.

And boy am I glad to have done that : a couple of months ago I got to know the Sim-A suite. It allows for so many more "dozens" of functions than PM. I almost immediately switched to Sim-A. I didn't have to do any hardware work at all, just software stuff (assigning new functions in InterfaceIT).

I had another plus worth commenting : whenever I have a question or a problem, Mark from Sim-A digs in to it and stays with you until it is solved. Most of those issues originated on my side Sad and Mark was always there assiting with his cheerful British character. In almost 10 years with PM I never got an answer to any of my issues.

Axel
JoePCP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Axel,

Thanks for your input, always food for thought, particularly as I'm a Brit myself.

I have to say the SYS boards are a very elegant solution to wiring and by far the easiest to setup. I'm surprised that no one has programmed the XMl files for the Aft O/H, or at least not uploaded them to the FDS website.

If I have to go the FSUIPC route I'll upload them myself. Just lazy I guess, I can't face trolling through all those offsets... Very Happy

Ah well,

All the best
Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: