Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goo Projector Paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Goo Projector Paint Reply with quote

Those of you who use a projector(s) for your simulator may want to look at a projector paint called Goo. It is a two step application...first being a reflective base coat followed by a finishing coat. A one litre amount covers 50 sq feet.

I have a 10' x 5' wall surface and the Goo made a huge difference in the clarity of the outside scenery view. Previously, I had a flat white wall paint which was good but nothing compared to the Goo.

Purchased the paint from Electronics for Less in Richmond Hill, ON. The Canadian Goo distributor is in Kingston, ON. Cost was CAD $ 230.00 plus tax.

Harry
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any before and after pictures to show?

Would be very interesting to see the difference Smile
HarryZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivar Hestnes wrote:
Do you have any before and after pictures to show?

Would be very interesting to see the difference Smile

Unfortunately I didn't think of it at the time. But I have been flying my sim for 3 years now and used various kind of paints on the wall so recognize a large improvement. The distributor in Canada also advised me that this paint takes a few months to cure and as it does, the picture display will become even better. That remains to be seen.

The paint route is far less expensive than purchasing large screens. I had priced a 10' x 5' silver type screen and it was going to cost over $ 3000.00!!

Harry

Last edited by HarryZ on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ivar Hestnes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ordered screenGoo a few days ago to cover a large gypsym screen which is being built at the moment. Looking very much fwd to see how it turns out. I have faith in that product. Have experimented alot with different paints myself earlier, but never got the result I want.

Thanks for your post Smile
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post Harry! I think we all look forward to hearing if you see any difference as it cures in a few months. Improving the clarity of a painted surface when using projectors is probably a High priority in the visual department of any sim builder.

Thanks for sharing!
melnato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Im feeling old, but I found this 3 year old post where I tested a high contrast formula on my first screen.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3583

I'd love to see a similar comparison with Screen Goo when someone
gets to that stage, before I drop more cash on fancy paints Smile

Thanks,

Nat
HarryZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melnato wrote:
OK Im feeling old, but I found this 3 year old post where I tested a high contrast formula on my first screen.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3583

I'd love to see a similar comparison with Screen Goo when someone
gets to that stage, before I drop more cash on fancy paints Smile

Thanks,

Nat

Nat,

Fancy paints, I guess like anything else these days, improve each year. A couple of years ago, I used another kind of projector paint which was far less expensive. Can't remember the name of it but it did slightly improve the projection, especially for night flying.

The Goo paint I recently used was head and shoulders above this other stuff. You could see the difference immediately and it was a two step(coat) process. I'm kicking myself for not taking before and after pictures.

The Goo system supposedly gets better after a few months as the moisture slowly works its way out from the paint. I've also increased the intensity of the colour coming from the projector and the combination has given me a view that I didn't think was possible.

Harry
mauriceb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: See correction below

I just posted my experience with a different screen paint as well as a picture in another forum:
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=1533.msg11796#new

I have no doubt that Goo is a great and maybe the best screen paint but I really don't know if spending 4 or 5 times as much for Goo is really necessary, especially if you need a gallon instead of a quart. If money was no object, why not but if you need to paint a very large screen, you may want to consider Paint on Screen instead. I'm happy with my results but of course I never saw a screen painted with Goo and I hope I never see one Very Happy

Maurice

Last edited by mauriceb on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
HarryZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauriceb wrote:
I just posted my experience with a different screen paint as well as a picture in another forum:
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=1533.msg11796#new

I have no doubt that Goo is a great and maybe the best screen paint but I really don't know if spending 4 or 5 times as much for Goo is really necessary, especially if you need a gallon instead of a quart. If money was no object, why not but if you need to paint a very large screen, you may want to consider Paint on Screen instead. I'm happy with my results but of course I never saw a screen painted with Goo and I hope I never see one Very Happy

Maurice

Maurice,

I used a similar paint on screen paint about a year ago and it was a one coat process. The cost was about CAD $ 65.00. I experienced a little improvement in the daytime flying and far more in night flight.

The Goo was a two step process, an undercoat and final coat. I used 1 litre of each (1 litre covers about 50 sq feet.) The cost was CAD $ 230.00. The daytime difference was huge. I haven't flown at night yet so I can't tell you the level of improvement in that area as yet.

The US $ 1000 the fellow paid to Goo paint his curved screen seems a little excessive. Sounds like the store sure made a few dollars profit on that sale!

Harry
mauriceb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I made a mistake. The reason one of the shots had much less contrast is mostly because there were reflections from the white surface below. Without that reflection, there was more contrast but not nearly as dramatic as the picture showed.

Sorry about that Sad

Maurice
HarryZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally did a night flight with the Goo paint screen. In the past, flying at night was mediocre at best with any soft city lights barely showing up. Now, the night flying is OK (not great) and I can see far more city light effects. The brighter lights show up very nicely now. Night flying is still rather boring compared to daylight so 95% of my flights are during the dayl

Harry
HarryZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about 7 months since I applied the special paint to my screen and per the company that sold it to me, the curing time has now been completed.

As per the info I was given, the reflective quality of the screen has improved slightly over this time. Very subtle but improvement.

In the last week, I installed Windows 7 on my main flight sim computer and reloaded the software into this new O/S. The results have been dramatic. A combination of the goo paint, a clean install, and using the Direct X 10 feature of Windows 7, I have the clearest and most dynamic scenery view I've ever experienced in the sim. Direct X 10 actually improves the frame rate and sitting at CYYZ's terminal 3 in Blue Print Simulation's scenery and all sliders at max, I'm getting 40 FPS.

Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: