Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SYS Board Input Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: SYS Board Input Question Reply with quote

Reading the SYS board manual, it appears there is a common ground for the eight inputs on each connector.

Let's say I have two rotary switches on the 1st connector. Would I share the common between the two rotarys?

Reason for asking is it's different to my other interface board, which would have a seperate common for each rotary.

Also, I notice from the photograph of the SYS1X board, that each input/output connector has 10 pins. Is one of these redundant?

Thanks

Sean
Jetcos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Common and 8 Switches/LED's.

You cannot cross the commons between each 10 pin connector. If you have 3 rotaries and 9 positions you cannot add the left over wire to another 10 pin. You need to wire the 6 position and jump to 2 other switches sharing the same common. Wire the remaining 3 on the next 10 pin and add 5 other switches.

NOTE: I have mentioned this several times but will again. When done always label the 10 pin connectors in case you remove them from the SYS card. Then you can plug them in the exact same connector on the SYS card. The functions would change if installed differently. Also as important, is to Export the file from each SYS card and save it. In case you have any problems then you have a file to Import back into the SYS card. IE, new board, new PC or Harddrive.

Only 9 pins are used. 10 is not applicable. (They only make 2,4,6,8 and 10 pin connectors)
ribel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that explanation Steve, I understand that part now.

Next question...

When connecting a 2-position switch, say the Yaw Damper, would I use a simple ON-OFF switch and the software would determine what action was carried out when the switch was returned to the OFF position?

Would this same logic be applicable to a 2-position switch that doesn't have an OFF position, for example the Equipment Cooling Supply Fan, which is NORM/ALTN? Would the software apply the required logic when the switch was in the OFF position?

Or should an ON-ON switch be used which would use another input on the SYS board?

I hope you understand what I'm getting at here.

Sean
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases yes.

The 2 position switch is ON/OFF. You need an ON offset and an OFF offset In Sim-A and AST you select your switch, right-click and select the software and choose the ON and assign the function by using the "Chooser". Right-click again and choose the OFF and re-select the function.

These can also be reversed if the switch is working upside down. Using OFF first and ON next.

These functions

Rotaries only require the ON for each position. No OFF is needed.

Hope this helps some more?
ribel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetcos wrote:
Hope this helps some more?

It's all adding to my knowledge. Smile

Thanks

Sean
TorbenJA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Another question Reply with quote

Would it be possible to connect ground on a rotary to ground on TWO banks - eg. ground on input 1-8 AND ground on input 9-16 and then direct inputs from pin 1-3 on the rotary to one bank and inputs from pin 4-5 to another. In other words - are the common grounds , well, common for the whole board? I'm using the sys3x

hope you understand my question.

Torben
Jetcos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common grounds only on the 8 switches (or LED's) per each 10 pin connector.
TorbenJA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn - some of the in-/output will be hard to utilise then, well - perhaps I'll need an extra board for the MIP.

Torben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: