Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PMDG B737NGX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dadeo911

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: PMDG B737NGX Reply with quote

Hi there,

Any idea if Mark is going to do an aircraft config file for the PMDG B737NGX with Sim-A?

Chris
KiwiBuilder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: PMDG B737NGX Reply with quote

Dadeo911 wrote:
Hi there,

Any idea if Mark is going to do an aircraft config file for the PMDG B737NGX with Sim-A?

Chris

That would be nice to know Wink ...I think if he did, most people would move to that Model !
Mark or PC: ...when is the content of the Sim Avionics Forum going to be up and running? Its always helpful to do searchs in that forum when you are looking for help.

Chris
MarkHastings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yep, I've been working on that.

I've just uploaded a config file:
www.sim-avionics.com/downloads/PMDG_NGX_Config_Files.zip

This contains :
FSX-PMDG-B737.CFG for the \Server Folder

Also I'd suggest that you take a copy of the PMDG aircraft into a new folder and use this aircraft.cfg (or amend your one.)
The important lines to change are:

title=Sim-Avionics 737-900NGX PMDG House Winglets
ui_manufacturer=Sim-Avionics

(Making the title unique will prevent FSX from giving a duplicate aircraft error.)

Also you will need to disable the PMDG panel to prevent logic clashes.
Copy the panel.cfg into the \panel folder.

Cheers
Dadeo911

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Mark.

Chris
melnato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Mark...cant wait to try it...!

Nat
KiwiBuilder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark or someone else... How do you go about setting the PMDG flight model up with SA.

I have installed new PMDG .cfg file in server. But am not sure how to complete other steps Mark has said to do.

Cheers

Chris
KiwiBuilder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBuilder wrote:
Mark or someone else... How do you go about setting the PMDG flight model up with SA.

I have installed new PMDG .cfg file in server. But am not sure how to complete other steps Mark has said to do.

Cheers

Chris

Okay got it working:

1. Copied PMDG .cfg into SA server folder.
2. Made a copy of PMDG 737-900 ngx wl file.(in fsx )
3. Copied and replaced ; aircraft.cfg, panel.cfg in new pmdg737-900 ngx wl folder with marks ones.

Went for test flight. Flight model all good!
But have noticed;
1. None of the lights on SA overhead panel work. Eg turn landing light on and it doesn't come on.
2. Engine fuel cut off switches work correctly (blue leds on overhead operate correctly with engine fuel switch operation)but....eg when I turn engine fuel switch on at about 24% N2 the engine shuts down! (blue LEDs still show correct valve position )

Also noticed no flap or control surface movement when looking at aircraft from outside... Not to worried about that though... I look inside when flying
I sure these findings are due to me not doing something right!!!

Cheers
Chris

Wink
Dadeo911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I followed the directions above and had an interesting situation develop. After I started FSX and Sim-A server I loaded the PMDG file for FSX using the file menu in server, and then started the Overhead panel. I have a Flight Deck Solutions forward overhead panel set up. When I use the switches on the overhead the logic with Sim-A works. For example: I turn on the battery and the announciators come on, both on the FDS overhead and on the one on my monitor. Now comes the wierd part, none of the lights or power come on in the PMDG overhead panel in FSX. I tried rebooting everything and even recopying the aircraft, panel and PMDG B737ngx FSX files into their folders, with the same results. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Chris
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding with using PMDG is that you are replacing the logic in the PMDG panels with Sim-A. You are only using the Flight model and sounds. The PMDG logic would interfere with the Sim-A logic so replacing the panel config file fixes that. You will not see very much within the PMDG panels.
mauriceb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBuilder wrote:

Also noticed no flap or control surface movement when looking at aircraft from outside... Not to worried about that though... I look inside when flying
I sure these findings are due to me not doing something right!!!

Cheers
Chris

You are not alone. None of the flight surfaces move as seen from an outside view but strangely enough, you can see the shock absorbers work when taxiing on a rough surface and the landing gear move up or down when flying.

I wouldn't worry too much about the external views though if you are flying in a flight deck as opposed to a desktop.

I have to add that so far, all the SimA overhead functions worked correctly for me but I am no expert in that area. At least, it worked as well as it did with the default 800 so I assume all is well.

I had a problem with the flap gauge display in the Eicas. There was no way to set the flaps & gauge correctly while using the SimA instructions. After many hours, I found out that I had to modify the flaps section in the NGX aircraft.cfg file.

So I replaced the NGX flap section with the default 800 flap section. After that, I was able to set the flaps & gauge using the SimA instructions that are found in the manual.

I don't know if that flap issue was specific to my setup but as far as I can tell, my flaps & flaps gauge are working correctly for me now.

Too early to fully comment on the flight characteristics but so far, I like it. However, I tried a couple of ILS autoland approaches and both of them seemed Ok for a while but the plane ended up not lined up with the runway in both cases so not able to autoland.

I know for sure that I had landed on one of these runways before with perfect runway alignment, so not sure if I was doing something wrong this time. I did have a Land3 indication though so it should have worked better. Aside from that, all is well so far.

Maurice
maytham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,
That's what I was looking for, Away to fly the PMDG Model..
I tried the new setup last night, every thing works perfect apart from the Flaps that made me to scratch my head.

I configured the flap gauge along with the actual position in FSUIPC parameter. In the Ecas it shows the correct Flap position. But after you get airborn the Aircraft stall ! Then you discovered that its in Up position. It seems there's miss comm between the FSUIPC and the actual position! During the test I selected the flaps from up to 40 but nothing changed in the speed scale.
Any idea?
Maitham
Jetcos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Maurice's comments and experience help?

"I had a problem with the flap gauge display in the Eicas. There was no way to set the flaps & gauge correctly while using the SimA instructions. After many hours, I found out that I had to modify the flaps section in the NGX aircraft.cfg file.

So I replaced the NGX flap section with the default 800 flap section. After that, I was able to set the flaps & gauge using the SimA instructions that are found in the manual.

I don't know if that flap issue was specific to my setup but as far as I can tell, my flaps & flaps gauge are working correctly for me now."

Please let us know how you make out.
mauriceb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want add something else to the flaps issue. Below are the changes I made in the aircraft.cfg file. Please note that I only changed the Flaps.0 values and I did not touch the the Flap.1 & Flap.2 settings.

At this point, it seems to me that everything is working fine so I am not touching the flaps.1 & flaps.2 values. I am saying it is working fine because the SimA flaps gauge in the EICAS screen is showing the right position for each flap setting (I used the keyboard to move the flaps) and I was also able to use the flaps while landing and the plane behaved as I expected.

However, if anyone has a different experience, you may want to modify the flaps.1 & flap.2 setings as well to match the default 800. Mark may have a new/better way to make it all work if this is not the best way.

Here are the changes I made:

[Flaps.0]
type=1 // ** FLAPS **
extending-time=39 // Total seconds
span-outboard=0.69

// 0.0 .. 1.0
//flaps-position.0= 0.000 // pseudo-degrees
//flaps-position.1= 8.888 // 1
//flaps-position.2=18.333 // 2
//flaps-position.3=25.000 // 5
//flaps-position.4=31.111 // 10
//flaps-position.5=33.333 // 15
//flaps-position.6=35.000 // 25
//flaps-position.7=36.666 // 30
//flaps-position.8=40.000 // 40

//Above values are original NGX values

//The values I used below came from the default 800

flaps-position.0 = 0 // degrees
flaps-position.1 = 1 // degrees
flaps-position.2 = 2 // degrees
flaps-position.3 = 5 // degrees
flaps-position.4 = 10 // degrees
flaps-position.5 = 15 // degrees
flaps-position.6 = 25 // degrees
flaps-position.7 = 30 // degrees
flaps-position.8 = 40 // degrees

Hope this helps,

Maurice
fordgt40

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice

Many thanks

David
MarkHastings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is appears that PMDG have custom coded the animation of the control surfaces, therefore they do not react to the basic FS Aileron/Elevator positions and don't 'visually' move when the panel is disabled.

You haven't done anything wrong in the setup... that's just the way it is for the moment and won't affect the way the aircraft flies.

Flap Gauge Calibration:
I've been looking through the PMDG configs and can see that the flap settings are slightly different between the -800 and -900 models so depending on which model you use you may need to recalibrate the flaps on the Server.

To do this:
    Start FS.
    Select the PMDG aircraft you're using with SA.
    Start the Server.
    Select the new PMDG NGX config file.

On the Server :
    goto the Aircraft Detail Tab
    goto the Flap / N1 Calibrations Tab

Set Flaps UP in FS.
    On the Server Press SET next to "Flap Position UP" (should = 0 0)

Set Flaps 1 in FS
    (The top Trigger and Display numbers should move)
    On the Server Press SET next to "Flap Position 1"

Set Flaps 2 in FS...
Repeat...

When you've set all of the flaps goto:
Aircraft Specific Menu
Save Aircraft

Close the Server

This will calibrate the flap gauge to be in sync with the FS aircraft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: