Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B737-800 Project (BELGIUM)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidarf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is thin enough, plywood will bend in multiple directions. The best result, however, is achieved by bending the plywood over a "positive" mold.

Another option would be to saw slits in the ply, but not through it. In that case, I would simply make a positive mold and use thin strips of thin plywood to get the shape, glass it then use filler made from epoxy and glass balloons or wood flour (VERY fine wood dust) to get an even surface. Lot of sanding, but the end result would be very sturdy - almost no need for support. And the best thing about this technique is that you do not need to be very accurate. Gaps up to 3-4mm is acceptable (and preferred)! A plywood / glass fiber sandwich is extremely sturdy and light-weight. A curved screen could easily be made in sections, reusing the mold (providing you cover the mold with plastic) per section. If you mount a piece of plywood perpendicular to the edge, you could bolt the sections together. Easy to build, easy to mount and you do not need to reinforce the floors. Smile

If someone does this, PLEASE remember to use protection against the dust!!!! And no, you cannot use polyester resin. Does not bond to wood very well.

For more on the "stick and glue" building technique, visit www.bateau.com (careful, I have two sets of plans for boats from that site - I am going to build one of them in a few years...)
mauriceb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melnato wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but you are actually trying to make a spherical surface and to the best of my RAM plywood can only be bent in one dimension!

Yep it is dual curve...trying to convince my wife to let me do it Cool

Nat

Besides the fact you are nuts Very Happy, why bother with a dual curve?. I really don't think it will add much to the experience. As far as I understand, the idea would be to have better focus since in theory, the whole screen would be at a constant distance from the projector.

But with wide throw projectors in particular, the focus difference at the edges is so minimal as to be undetectable (at least my aging eyes can't detect any difference). Once you are seated in the front office, you will not be able to tell the screen has a double curve especially since the curving from top to bottom will be very minimal anyway.

And on top of that, almost everybody forgets that the windows hide a huge portion of the screen anyway. So, can you explain why you are even thinking of trying that? Me thinks that it is just an excuse to lengthen the building process so you never have to show anybody that you can actually fly this thing since you will be building & 'improving' it forever Laughing

Seriously now, if you are so keen on 'improving' your fantastic visuals, why not go full blast and build a collimated system like someone has done. Now, THAT would be a huge improvement.

Maurice
vidarf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice, don't give him any ideas! He's already struggling to get acceptance for what madness he's cooked up so far! Laughing
mauriceb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vidarf wrote:

For more on the "stick and glue" building technique, visit www.bateau.com (careful, I have two sets of plans for boats from that site - I am going to build one of them in a few years...)

Damn you! This one looks very appealing to me:
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB18&cat=17

I will definitely blame you if I ever embark on this new adventure. That is if I'm still alive after telling my wife Very Happy

Maurice
GDR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late LOL

I am indeed cutting up the plywood, like Vidarf said. But, the projector positioninig based on the current screen is not suberb. So, thx to Nat Laughing , I broke it down and am rebuilding it full conical. He gave me the hint Laughing .

OK! You can say it. I'M NUTS Cool

In a few days I'll post some new pictures...

Maurice, I've already received a no go on the collimated setup. (It was in fact my inital idea to do. But, It was either this or packing the suitcases Embarassed Laughing

Full B737-800 DSTD
ALL FDS & 0.01% OEMs
Sim-Avionics V1.94
P3D v4.5
FSUIPC v5.151

What goes up, must eventually come down!
http://www.flightsim737ng.be
vidarf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauriceb wrote:
I will definitely blame you if I ever embark on this new adventure. That is if I'm still alive after telling my wife Very Happy

Maurice

Dude, I warned you! Besides, you're not in a position to complain! I have plans for this and this boat lying on my desktop! The latter is the one I'm going to build in some years (need to build the garage first).

Build a boat! Your wife can enjoy it too; I have a feeling she's not that into the sim... Twisted Evil

GDR, looking forward to your solution! I've just fallen off the wagon and started building a sim again. Today I tested ye olde Opencockpits display cards for the FLT ALT / LAND ALT displays (sorry Peter, your module was way too tempting, but reason prevailed and I decided to utilize what I already had lying around). When a 33 year old man giggles over the numbers 0 to 9 displayed on 10 LED digit displays, something's not quite right. So the momentum is back on full steam towards lunacy!

And lucky me: I now work at Elkjøp, a store in the Dixons group (like PC City in UK). A projector and a screen is in the future!
That being said: i feel like Chuck - our store theme is green, just like Buymore... Hopefully, a gorgeous agent is coming tomorrow.

There I go again - off topic. Vectors to subject, please!
Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vidarf wrote:

I've just fallen off the wagon and started building a sim again. [/i]

Is this in addition to the 737 sim or did you get rid of that project?

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
vidarf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, still the mighty 737 sim! If it ain't self-built Boeing, I ain't going! My sim eat Lear sims for breakfast! Cool

The reason I wrote "a sim again" is because the last time, I did not finish anything to a "usable" state (except for one - 1 - flight where the landing gear lever and the auto brake switch + annunciators where in operation).

Now I have a couple of "cold and dark" startups under my belt. Smile
Tomlin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vidarf wrote:
Nah, still the mighty 737 sim! If it ain't self-built Boeing, I ain't going! My sim eat Lear sims for breakfast! Cool

Oh boy...I think you'd be surprised where we have the LJ45 sim world at now Vidarf! That's all I will say on that, other than we little jet guys have another first over the mighty 737- FL510! Twisted Evil

Now, back on topic. Arrow

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
GDR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Visuals - UPDATED Reply with quote

Hi,

Ok. It took me some longer time, but I've finally had some time to take pictures of the new improved concial screen. (Just to make nat even a bit more jealous Twisted Evil )

Next is the covering of the screen. I'm using plywood for it. I've already tested it (no pictures yet of this phase) and it works nice. I'll explain it more in detail when I had the time of taking pictures.

To be continued. V1 - Rotate. . . Cool

Geert

Full B737-800 DSTD
ALL FDS & 0.01% OEMs
Sim-Avionics V1.94
P3D v4.5
FSUIPC v5.151

Last edited by GDR on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:53 am; edited 2 times in total
GDR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As said, below some pictures with the plywood installed. As you can see they are squares for easy bending in the two directions. to fill up the gaps I'll be using latex mastique (image of the priduct will follow). This is easy to use. You fill up the gaps and when it is hard you can sand it down to the requested look and feel.

More to come! Wink

Full B737-800 DSTD
ALL FDS & 0.01% OEMs
Sim-Avionics V1.94
P3D v4.5
FSUIPC v5.151

Last edited by GDR on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Geert!

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
GDR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally,

After a long business trip I've managed to finish the screen. Here're some pictures:

And the almost completed sectional nose...

Up to the next stage... Wink

Full B737-800 DSTD
ALL FDS & 0.01% OEMs
Sim-Avionics V1.94
P3D v4.5
FSUIPC v5.151

Last edited by GDR on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
GDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi,

It took a while to post an update, but I've been out for some time due to surgery. I couldn't wait to get back in constructing and flying my cockpit.
But, here's an update of my current situation:

I still need to hide some cables... But, this will be done once the interior liners are installed. Soon the pedestal is added (around Christmas).

More to come soon...

CU in the sky Cool

Full B737-800 DSTD
ALL FDS & 0.01% OEMs
Sim-Avionics V1.94
P3D v4.5
FSUIPC v5.151

Last edited by GDR on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
diegov

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen looks great Geert. Need to think about my screen soon and yours is inspiring.

Cheers
Diego
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Customer Project Updates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: