Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ImmersaPod -- 1 projector, 180 degrees viewing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: ImmersaPod -- 1 projector, 180 degrees viewing! Reply with quote

Looks like this company has a 180 degree pod/dome working

http://www.immersivedisplay.co.uk/immersapod.php

They are using a 1024x768 projector, but a special lens -- from their website

Omnifocus™ lens with 180°horizontal x 135° degree immersive viewing

Very interesting, I'm interested to hear the opinions of the visual gurus on this board.
melnato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very cool...but small. Too small for a full sim, maybe even too small for JetMAX I think.
Looking at the video, its suited to desktop gaming.
I dare you to get a price from them (inc shipping) Wink

Nat
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could possibly work with jetmax,

Looking at the prices at http://www.immersivedisplay.co.uk/specialoffers.php

Nope, not going to work!

I think the most affordable route would be to most probably buy 2x Optoma 750e projectors on the market, buy a large piece of paper and then unroll it to the size you want and held in place by chairs (until you can get a proper screen going!)
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about purchasing 3 used Short Throw projectors from another sim pilot? Scott was talking about selling his 3 Mitsubishi EW230uST recently, so you could PM him to see what you could workout.

Unless you really have the room, short throws are so much better. I've used regular standard projectors before and they need the distance for sure, more than what you read on the spec sheets. I know "spec sheets dont lie right"...lol. Really, you usually find out things by doing them, which is tough sometimes when you read a spec sheet, and then later realize it's more or even less then what the sheet has on it.

Anyway, Scott's screen name XOrionFE on here I believe, or you can also find him on www.cockpitbuilders.com. In any case, I know you want to use the JetMax which is great, but even with the JetMax you would be happier with images all the way around, so I suggest you go with 3 ST projectors. Heck, you've already made an awesome decision by going with JetMax from FDS, so trust me when I say a 3 projector setup is just as awsome.

As for screens, go to Carl's Projector Screen Place or Carl's Place on Ebay, he is a company that makes big screens for really great prices. I got mine 9x39' for just over $400 US. Sean Nixon from the UK got a big screen for a great price as well. You should give Carl a phone call or send him an email to discuss your plans, he is very good at making sure you get exactly what you want...

John
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I'm still undecided if I should go with the Jetmax or the full MIP -- if you're going to build a cockpit, why not go all the way? Then again, how often will you be flying with a FO?

I find it very strange that I see lots of setups but very disappointing visuals -- are these individuals just waiting for projector prices to drop? I put paramount importance to the visuals; and I would hope to have these established early on in what I see to be a 5-10 year endeavor.

Thank you for the link to Carl's shop but it seems like you will have to construct your own backing/frame. I guess it is difficult for a store to come out with a standardized screen size when so many variations exists.

I am also wondering if there are any mounting frames/solutions available for projectors so I don't have to drill any holes in the ceiling.

Best regards,

Ben

bluskydriver wrote:
What about purchasing 3 used Short Throw projectors from another sim pilot? Scott was talking about selling his 3 Mitsubishi EW230uST recently, so you could PM him to see what you could workout.

Unless you really have the room, short throws are so much better. I've used regular standard projectors before and they need the distance for sure, more than what you read on the spec sheets. I know "spec sheets dont lie right"...lol. Really, you usually find out things by doing them, which is tough sometimes when you read a spec sheet, and then later realize it's more or even less then what the sheet has on it.

Anyway, Scott's screen name XOrionFE on here I believe, or you can also find him on www.cockpitbuilders.com. In any case, I know you want to use the JetMax which is great, but even with the JetMax you would be happier with images all the way around, so I suggest you go with 3 ST projectors. Heck, you've already made an awesome decision by going with JetMax from FDS, so trust me when I say a 3 projector setup is just as awsome.

As for screens, go to Carl's Projector Screen Place or Carl's Place on Ebay, he is a company that makes big screens for really great prices. I got mine 9x39' for just over $400 US. Sean Nixon from the UK got a big screen for a great price as well. You should give Carl a phone call or send him an email to discuss your plans, he is very good at making sure you get exactly what you want...

John
bluskydriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best answer is go with a full cockpit. Why? Because even though you will be flying alone mostly, there will be a time or two (or more) when you have someone over and they can sit in the FO seat. You might not see it as a big deal, but I can tell you that a huge sense of pride will overcome you because you built it and because someone else appreciates it.

As for why some visuals are better than others, it's because of prices as you said, but it's also the amount of room involved, as well as the cockpit type. Additionally, some people just try to go to cheap. The only way to say this is by saying it like it is; building a home cockpit is not cheap. You either have all the money up front or stretch it out over years. Don't get me wrong, you can build it out of cardboard, but if you keep looking at other builders' cockpits, you must understand that what you see and get excited about is something that did cost a lot of money and took a lot of time to complete.

That is the biggest issue with building, people see other builder's pits and say "that doesn't look hard or costly", but they do not see what has gone into actually building one. Still, there will be times you'll be in the right place at the right time and you'll have a chance to buy an entire cockpit for a lot less than it cost the owner too build it, so I suggest that you keep some extra money in the wings, so too speak, when a day comes that you'll get the chance...beileve me, it will happen!

On a different note, the good thing is that the trails have been laid by many front runners and that means decisions can be made a whole lot easier. You should've been here 5-8 years ago! Anyhow, you will find a lot more info on the things you have in mind for your build. Therefore, do ask others to help answer questions you might have.

As for Carl's place, he only makes non-standard screens because standard size screens are more costly from big name screen companies, as opposed to his custom made ones. Why is that? Well, he is a small town "Mom and Pop" shop that can afford to be cheap because he doesn't have huge overhead cost, and screens are his main stay, so he doesn't have to worry about other products. You will not get a frame from him, but you can build that yourself easy enough. You can do it without attaching it to the ceiling as well.

Finally, I tell everyone this, you need to find out another builder in your country, and then see if they live close enough to go visit. Like I've also said, cockpit builders are a friendly bunch and they like to help others get into this hobby/fun, so they're more then happy to let you visit...and, sit in their FO seat...:-)

John
Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thank you. Everything you said is very well thought out and are all good points. There's no way around it; replicating a multi-million dollar aircraft is going to always cost you more than you can imagine. However, it will always provide more fun and satisfaction than you can imagine as well.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluskydriver wrote:

On a different note, the good thing is that the trails have been laid by many front runners and that means decisions can be made a whole lot easier. You should've been here 5-8 years ago! Anyhow, you will find a lot more info on the things you have in mind for your build. Therefore, do ask others to help answer questions you might have.

As for Carl's place, he only makes non-standard screens because standard size screens are more costly from big name screen companies, as opposed to his custom made ones. Why is that? Well, he is a small town "Mom and Pop" shop that can afford to be cheap because he doesn't have huge overhead cost, and screens are his main stay, so he doesn't have to worry about other products. You will not get a frame from him, but you can build that yourself easy enough. You can do it without attaching it to the ceiling as well.

Finally, I tell everyone this, you need to find out another builder in your country, and then see if they live close enough to go visit. Like I've also said, cockpit builders are a friendly bunch and they like to help others get into this hobby/fun, so they're more then happy to let you visit...and, sit in their FO seat...Smile

John

Yes, thanks for the insight John. I can't wait to see what the next 10 years brings. There are a couple serious cockpit builders around the Brisbane area so I hope to get some ideas from them sometime.

Have a link to your project? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: