Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triple Monitor Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy0687

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Triple Monitor Setup Reply with quote

I'am going to get two more monitors for my Flight Sim setup to have a total of 3. I was wondering if it were possible to run 3 or 4 monitors with the Virtual Cockpit spanning across all of them at a high resolution not using a Matrox Triple Head2Go. Can Windows do this using NVIDIA Surround in a higher end GPU such as the GTX 680? Do you have to use a Matrox?

I am also about to upgrade my system. I was wondering if it would be smarter to upgrade the GPU from a GTX 560Ti to something in the GTX 650Ti and up range. Or should I upgrade my processor, intel core i5-2500K to an i7? FSX can't use hyper threading, but would the i7 add extra processing power?

Also, can FSX support dual GPU's? I heard somewhere it couldn't but plenty of people use SLI?
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Triple Monitor Setup Reply with quote

jeremy0687 wrote:
I'am going to get two more monitors for my Flight Sim setup to have a total of 3. I was wondering if it were possible to run 3 or 4 monitors with the Virtual Cockpit spanning across all of them at a high resolution not using a Matrox Triple Head2Go. Can Windows do this using NVIDIA Surround in a higher end GPU such as the GTX 680? Do you have to use a Matrox?

I am also about to upgrade my system. I was wondering if it would be smarter to upgrade the GPU from a GTX 560Ti to something in the GTX 650Ti and up range. Or should I upgrade my processor, intel core i5-2500K to an i7? FSX can't use hyper threading, but would the i7 add extra processing power?

Also, can FSX support dual GPU's? I heard somewhere it couldn't but plenty of people use SLI?

From what I read the Nvidia 6xx series allows you to do surround without the use of Head2Go. Dual heads were not possible with Nvidias until this cheap option came along -- http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-displayport-to-dual-hdmi-adaptor.html

FSX is more CPU dependent, but I heard the 660Ti gives some pretty sweet performance (antialiasing, increased FPS in detailed airports, etc), so I am also considering upgrading from my 560Ti.

FSX doesn't support dual GPU's; however if you have two computers you can offload it using a program such as wideview. [/quote]
jeremy0687

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if FSX doesn't support SLI, does that mean that if you are running SLI, the program will just ignore the other GPU and it would sit in idle while playing FSX?
Does NVIDIA surround run each display at high resolutions? I'm also wondering if its worth the extra $100 for the i7. Is the processor any better?
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-displayport-to-dual-hdmi-adaptor.html

Do you mean that this adaptor allows extended desktop (not clone) on two screens from on display output??
Jack
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackpilot wrote:
-- http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-displayport-to-dual-hdmi-adaptor.html

Do you mean that this adaptor allows extended desktop (not clone) on two screens from on display output??
Jack

Yes. From what I've read online.

You can say goodbye to TH2GO because of this.

Newegg feedback:

"Pros: Way cheaper than the matrox version.
No drivers.
Just works.
If only one device connected, reverts to that resolution.

Cons: Only does horizontal (side by side) span, not over/under.
Mixing native res devices only works at the lower res for both even if higher is supported on the low res device (see below).

Other Thoughts: Fabulous deal for what it does. Something like this is a must-have to span graphics on two monitors/projectors on Win7 since graphics pipelines are not shared (they can be in XP but only in Span mode). The two monitors just show up in Windoze as one very wide monitor.

This is strictly a side-by-side device though, unlike the Matrox devices, but it is a small fraction of the price so unless you need two vertically stacked screens this is the ticket.

The only hitch I found is that when I hooked two projectors up to it, a 1080p and a 720p, I was only able to run 720p on both (overall res of 2560x720) even though the 720p projector will handle a 1080p input. Under the windoze screen res setting nothing higher appeared, and when I tried using the nVidia control panel to force 3840x1080, things got royally bonzo. Not a huge minus, but that's why this didn't get five eggs as it really should work.

This was tested under Win7 x64 with an nVidia GT570, 285.62 drivers."
jeremy0687

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Im at a stalemate with a decision on which monitors to get. I already have a 25" HP 2511x Monitor. I hear that the Samsung Sync masters are really good too. Should I get two Samsung SyncMasters with the same refresh rate and screen type or just get two more identical HP2511x monitors? Which is the best monitor?
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy0687 wrote:
Also, Im at a stalemate with a decision on which monitors to get. I already have a 25" HP 2511x Monitor. I hear that the Samsung Sync masters are really good too. Should I get two Samsung SyncMasters with the same refresh rate and screen type or just get two more identical HP2511x monitors? Which is the best monitor?

I'm planning to go with monitors which I can later use as the MIP screens and upgrade to a projection system.
jeremy0687

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be my last post for this topic. So with all facts considered about contrast ratio, response time, and refresh rate, should I get the HP 2511x or the Samsung SyncMaster S24B350HL?
jskibo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While SLI isn't supported, I do use my dual GTX560s in Nvidia surround to power three 40" monitors in my testing rig. No issues and no TH2G needed.
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jskibo wrote:
While SLI isn't supported, I do use my dual GTX560s in Nvidia surround to power three 40" monitors in my testing rig. No issues and no TH2G needed.

I'm guessing this would likely work just as well with three 55" HDTVs? I believe that I understand you get a few more resolution options too when you use this vs. the TH2Go too, correct?

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
jskibo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomlin wrote:
jskibo wrote:

I'm guessing this would likely work just as well with three 55" HDTVs? I believe that I understand you get a few more resolution options too when you use this vs. the TH2Go too, correct?

That's the plan. Since I'm space limited I'm selling off the PJ's and going TV in this house. Will start with 3 and then possibly move to 5.

Still torn between 55", 60" or 65" though. Might just have to buy three of one size and Costco, play around and return if I need bigger sizes.

I'm not sure if the TH2G could do 5760x1080, been awhile since I played with it and don't own it anymore. I know it was resolution restricted by the Hz and at the limit you needed monitor that could do 57Hz or 59Hz? which caused an issue for me. With two cards and surround (or eyefinity) you can do the bezel correction and even go a bit larger.

Still trying to dial in the views and determine the initial angles (i.e. PJ would be 75degree, but since 3 TV's don't wrap I need to cut it to 40 - 50 degrees on the left and right. Moving to 5 TVs later I can then do another 45 degrees. Dialing in the camera angles, zoon and aligning the horizons is a bit challenging for me at the moment, but haven't had a ton of time t play)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: