Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LED Brightness Issue (resolved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeckerZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: LED Brightness Issue (resolved) Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I have a query about powering LED's from my FDS-SYS4X High Capacity interface card . I have about a dozen or so LED's connected to my MIP and was testing the Landing Gear LED Panel. I noticed the LED's don't seem to be very bright and was wondering is it because I have 2 LED's powered from one board connection. Should I be powering each LED individually, and if so would I have to select the same value within the IIT software so that the both LED's come on as if they were one?
Here's a few photos. Sorry about the camera shake, but I had to turn off the flash otherwise the flash would have overpowered the LED's. There are no shorts, although it looks like it from the first photo, the photo just doesn't show the seperation of the anode's and cathode's (common to all) from the topmost LED's.

Jetcos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the spec's of the LED's?

2 LED's to each wire on the 10 pin connector is the rule. 8 wires, 1 common per 10 pin connector.
DeckerZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: LED Spec Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I don't have the spec of the LEDs as they came with my MIP, but I replaced them with Ultrabright ones, it's an improvement but I'm still not 100% happy with them. I'll upload a photo for comparison. Out of interest, what spec do you recommend?
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to upload pics. This is all about brightness levels. The SYS boards are used in hundreds of projects and have more than adequate output to power super brights. Specs are not very telling with many led suppliers....
We buy a specific brand locally as we can maintain some regularity.
Best of luck there, you'll get it.
Peter[/i]
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)
vidarf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, remember to sand off the rounded tip on the LED's - that will give you a more even spread of the light. Many LED's are very "focused", giving you two "hotspots" on the annunciator.

Try to source LED's with similar brightness, or as close as you can get. Some are VERY dim, other is overly powerful. The supplier I used is a big company supplying manufacturers (and thank goodness they sell to individuals as well!), and they provide everything I need (and a lot I don't need) to know. The company is ELFA, located in Sweden. Don't know if they sell to Ireland, but here's the link:
ELFA EU website

I can look up which ones I used, but you'll have to give me a day or two. Considering the teflon specs on my memory, you might want to send me an email or PM... Very Happy

Worst case, add a resistor between the LED pairs and the SYS board. You'll have to do some trial and error to find the correct value, but it will help.

I have used "non-FDS" LED's on my overhead, and they work great. I just made sure the luminosity was close on the different colors - except for the blue ones, as they have a dual state anyway.
DeckerZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of sanding the tip of the LED's, but now you mention it, it does make sense. I am getting the 'hotspots' on most of my LED's. I know it shouldn't be like that. Here's a photo of them.

What do you suggest? Change the LED's or file them down? I can't do anything with the ADFS panel as they are LED switches.
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Difusion. Reply with quote

Higher quality annuns Like ours have more parts and would include elements that diffuse the light properly. The FDS AN1 units are that way.
We think they are a bargain considering the many pieces involved, printed circuit board, proper connectors, accurate legends/fonts, diffusion elements, and a wiring harness, etc.
LEDs are very narrow in their light pattern and the result will be as you see many times.
Peter

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=502

Last edited by pcos on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
vidarf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that, Peter!!! Smile

I have the FDS annunciators on my MIP, and they are uniform throughout. As for the other annunciators I have, there is no diffuser. Had to sand the tip of the LED's to get even distribution of the light on quite a few of the annunciators. Not all, as I sourced LED's that spread the light better.

If I'd do it over again, I would order the FDS kits. MUCH easier!

If you're going to fix your hotspots "in situ" (removing the label and letting the LED's stay in place), use a Dremel and a rounded, fine file (I preferred a ball-shaped one). Just "nick" the tip of so that the LED's are flat. Try to get an even surface, but you don't need to be very accurate. I placed a drop of cyano glue to get rid of the "frosted glass effect", but I don't think it was necessary. Oh well, probably got .5 lumens extra... Very Happy

Remember to have the vacuum cleaner nearby. Filing LED's makes a lot of dust!
archen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeckerZ wrote:
I never thought of sanding the tip of the LED's, but now you mention it, it does make sense. I am getting the 'hotspots' on most of my LED's. I know it shouldn't be like that. Here's a photo of them.

What do you suggest? Change the LED's or file them down? I can't do anything with the ADFS panel as they are LED switches.

Hi DeckerZ!
This looks like Simworld's MIP. Could it be that? If you buy wide angle high brightness leds from example ebay and then sandpaper the bottom side of the legend you will get better results. The leds simworld supply is worthless.

I'm using the simworld MIP and did that to my annunciators.. pretty happy with it but now I've replaced them with FDS annunciators (they fit into simworld MIP without modification). Much much better... for my ovhd I did go FDS all the way.

Peter cos is absolute fantastic. His support and interest in helping you is second to none.

If I were you I would buy FDS annunciators. If you have a look at my webpage you will find many pictures of both simworld annunciators and FDS.

www.helinare.nu (you will have to scroll back in time)

Regards,
Anders
DeckerZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Difusion. Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
Higher quality annuns Like ours have more parts and would include elements that diffuse the light properly. The FDS AN1 units are that way.
We think they are a bargain considering the many pieces involved, printed circuit board, proper connectors, accurate legends/fonts, diffusion elements, and a wiring harness, etc.
LEDs are very narrow in their light pattern and the result will be as you see many times.
Peter

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=502

Hey Pete,

Is there a link to the FDS AN1 units for the 737 MIP? I can't seem to find it on the site.

Cheers
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom order item. Simply email and we can discuss your needs.
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: