Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDS-SYS Cards (and long USB cables) – disconnect issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrvh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: FDS-SYS Cards (and long USB cables) – disconnect issues Reply with quote

I’m using the FDS-SYS cards with some fairly long USB cables. Usually it works fine, but from time to time they just stop working. Sometimes it's just one card, sometimes all of them. When I restart interfaceIT and PMsystems, things work fine again.

A quick look at what I’m using.

3 FDS-SYS cards, connected to:
Windows 7 OS
InterfaceIT software
PMsystems software
Using 5m (15’) and 7m (21’) USB cables (connected directly to the PC)

It occurred to me that the length of the USB cables might be what's causing the problems. I have connected them to a different PC using 5m cables though, and that worked fine. Anyway, I have changed the USB power settings, but that did not solve the problem.

There does not seem to be a pattern in when the cards stop working. When (one of) the cards disconnects by the way, I can hear the ‘USB device disconnect’-sound coming from Windows.

Has anybody else encountered these problems? Could the length of the USB cables be what's causing this? Or am I missing something?

I can get my hands on some good powered USB hubs, but I have also heard of the ethernet cable USB extenders (although these seem to be a little more expensive). Any advice?
melnato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes 5m USB direct to your PC will work, sometimes not...depends on cable I think and your computer.
D-Link powered hubs and ethernet USB extenders are highly recommended.

Nat
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our large projects we would never run those lengths of USB cables without "USB Extenders". Data drops are common when you go that long. Not advised for any USB devices.
Peter
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)
wrvh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sure to change my setup then. Are powered hubs also an option? Or should I go with the extenders?
melnato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how many "long" USB cables you are connecting.
In general we run a USB ethernet extender from the computer to a powered hub near the simulator,
then you connect your "shorter" usb cables to that hub.

Nat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: