FDS-SYS Cards (and long USB cables) – disconnect issues

This Forum is designed to support and assist in the use of any/all FDS related Interface products.

Moderators: Curtis, Jetcos

wrvh

FDS-SYS Cards (and long USB cables) – disconnect issues

Post by wrvh »

I’m using the FDS-SYS cards with some fairly long USB cables. Usually it works fine, but from time to time they just stop working. Sometimes it's just one card, sometimes all of them. When I restart interfaceIT and PMsystems, things work fine again.

A quick look at what I’m using.

3 FDS-SYS cards, connected to:
Windows 7 OS
InterfaceIT software
PMsystems software
Using 5m (15’) and 7m (21’) USB cables (connected directly to the PC)

It occurred to me that the length of the USB cables might be what's causing the problems. I have connected them to a different PC using 5m cables though, and that worked fine. Anyway, I have changed the USB power settings, but that did not solve the problem.

There does not seem to be a pattern in when the cards stop working. When (one of) the cards disconnects by the way, I can hear the ‘USB device disconnect’-sound coming from Windows.

Has anybody else encountered these problems? Could the length of the USB cables be what's causing this? Or am I missing something?

I can get my hands on some good powered USB hubs, but I have also heard of the ethernet cable USB extenders (although these seem to be a little more expensive). Any advice?

melnato

Post by melnato »

Sometimes 5m USB direct to your PC will work, sometimes not...depends on cable I think and your computer.
D-Link powered hubs and ethernet USB extenders are highly recommended.

Nat

pcos
Site Admin

Post by pcos »

On our large projects we would never run those lengths of USB cables without "USB Extenders". Data drops are common when you go that long. Not advised for any USB devices.
Peter

wrvh

Post by wrvh »

I'll be sure to change my setup then. Are powered hubs also an option? Or should I go with the extenders?

melnato

Post by melnato »

Depends on how many "long" USB cables you are connecting.
In general we run a USB ethernet extender from the computer to a powered hub near the simulator,
then you connect your "shorter" usb cables to that hub.

Nat