Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please take a look at this regarding ACES studios.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tugo31

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Please take a look at this regarding ACES studios. Reply with quote

It may work.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/microsoft-rehire-aces-studios-and-resume-work-on-flight-simulator-11#share

Regards

Juan
Garys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a pessimist, but these types of petitions are a waste of time and effort.

Gary
HarryZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garys wrote:
Not to be a pessimist, but these types of petitions are a waste of time and effort.

Gary

I'm afraid you are right!

The reason for cancelling FS X and disbanding the ACES team had to do with the gaming industry slowing and surely abandoning the PC gaming platform.

A number of years ago, if you walked into an Electronic Boutique gaming store, the shelves were filled with a variety of PC games. Walk into that store today and you won't find a PC game, period!

Gaming software has gone to other platforms, Wi, Playstation, X Box etc and there are few games that are written for a PC. I believe the upper execs of MS saw this coming and was one of the main reasons for stopping the FS line. The flight simulation industry has shifted to high end simmers and the professional market and this does not support development of a new flight simulator program for entertainment purposes.

I wish things went differently because I wholesale flight simulation software and have seen the market dwindle year after year.
tugo31

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the future on flight simulation will be using PREPAR3D with the MIGRATION TOOL to use all the add ons of FSX or X-PLANE. which one do you prefer?

Or maybe someday MS will release FS11 for the XBOX flight simming edition, which allows the console to link to your computers network running your flying hardware Smile LOL

Juan
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "writing was on the wall" years ago at a Flight Sim Event in Colorado..Microsoft was there and the head guy from MS was aproaching everyone with his xbox controller trying to convince everyone that it was the "future of game controllers"... guess he was right..
I think.. my opinion only.. X-Plane is a alive and well.. Why not support a team that is supporting our hobby?
I have bought every version. I buy add ons.. I dont sit and compare any more.
I simply fly.. Which is why I got into this. if FSX would not fire up one day I would stay firmly footed in X-Plane and not look back. Things change..
We have to adapt..
We make cockpits in our homes.. Smile
We should be flexible enough to shift when needed.
My feeling.
Peter
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)
Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it won't change anything at Microsoft. However I signed it anyhow....It will be interesting to see just how big the interest is. Perhaps it will help spur other avenues on including Xplane.....Would really not want to see a low tally number in that regard!

Fred
HarryZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tugo31 wrote:
So the future on flight simulation will be using PREPAR3D with the MIGRATION TOOL to use all the add ons of FSX or X-PLANE. which one do you prefer?

I'm not speaking for Lockheed Martin but I believe they purchased the very limited rights of FS X (P3D) so they could offer a platform for their simulation training. They certainly weren't interested in marketing and selling P3D like MS did FS X as the restrictions that they are under don't permit that in any way.

In most cases, a 7 year old program like FS X would be long gone but a number of people, both commercial and private, have tweaked this software to the nth degree and it continues to sell(albeit in small numbers)
But at some point, unless someone buys the full rights to it (supposedly MS has it up for sale) and re writes the entire engine, I can't see it being around too much longer.

X-Plane has the best chance to continue on where FS X left off but whether this program can remain commercially viable is a good quesiton. Add to this the situation of the 3rd party industry which made a living off FS X and you have a situation that has more quesitions than answers.
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you... If I was selling "Regular" gas.... And the cars were shifting to "unleaded" I would have to think long and hard about the long term viability of selling regular gas.
Why the "Add On" community is not embracing XPlane at a higher level is beyond me. Digging their own graves...
There are tons af avid simulation fans that have spents thousands to "dress up" a $60 program... They will do the same with XPlane I am sure.
I have dropped at least $3-400 on add ons for XP and I am not flying as much as I used to.
I think Austin has done a huge amount of investment in our hobby. Worth supporting in my view.
Peter
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)
HarryZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why the "Add On" community is not embracing XPlane at a higher level is beyond me. Digging their own graves...

Peter,

Actually, there is a lot going on behind the scenes with the 3rd party developers and X Plane. One problem,however, is that there are too many 3rd party people trying to take a slice of the add-on pie which has been diminishing in size over the past few years. It will be interesting to see who can position themselves correctly to survive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: