Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sismo Aft installation into FDS shell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Sismo Aft installation into FDS shell. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

As the topic suggests, I am looking for tips before I begin to drill holes to install my Sismo Aft Overhead . I guess the main thing that bothers me is that this device is 4 inches thick so the rear of the aft overhead will fall quite a bit past the overhead shell framework, the two crossbeams running fore and aft.

Has anyone done this and if so... would you happen to have a template you would be willing to share as new mounting holes will have to be drilled?

Thanks in advance,
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed
Not sure I see what you mean. Picture possible ?
Jack
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackpilot wrote:
Hi Ed
Not sure I see what you mean. Picture possible ?
Jack

Hi Jack,

Yeah..it's tough to describe and even tougher to hold the Aft in place and take a picture lol. I know I have to drill at least 4 holes minimum to mount this as the holes in the FDS brackets dont line up with the holes in the Sismo Aft. The Aft fits ok in between the framework and I believe it's pretty much to scale....

I'll try to get some pictures to explain what I mean. I think my problem may be solved as I see the the screws that hold the rear liners in place are quite long which will allow me to drop the liner down to match the rear drop of the Aft overhead. I was thinking that everything had to be flush with the framework.

Thanks for responding..will get back later on with some pictures.

All the best,

Ed
zillmer99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

I have the Sismo Aft Overhead mounted in my FDS shell using the FDS mounting brackets.

If you haven't already started I can get you some photos tomorrow pm of my fixing.

On thing to mention is that I did have both the Aft Overhead frame and the cover, but I couldn't fit it in with the cover, so I had to dispense with that.

Regards

Simon.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zillmer99 wrote:
Ed,

I have the Sismo Aft Overhead mounted in my FDS shell using the FDS mounting brackets.

If you haven't already started I can get you some photos tomorrow pm of my fixing.

On thing to mention is that I did have both the Aft Overhead frame and the cover, but I couldn't fit it in with the cover, so I had to dispense with that.

Regards

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Pictures would be awesome. Thanks.

Ed
zillmer99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Here are some photos. I found that the Sismo frame was just a couple of millimetres too wide to fit into the FDS shell using the FDS mounting brackets. I therefore had to modify the Sismo frame slightly, by cutting out a small amount of the frame and putting in an aluminium L-shaped piece that I attached with some bolts. This effectively narrowed the frame slightly and it then worked nicely with the FDS brackets. These two pics show the left and right hand mountings of the Aft Overhead to the shell using the FDS brackets.

These mountings are at the top of the Aft Overhead, farthest away from the front of the flight deck.

At the bottom of the Aft Overhead I have it fastened using some quarter-turn fasteners that I sourced from a Car Parts supplier here in the UK, and they are connected to the FDS mounting bracket for the FWD overhead which has appropriate mounting for the AFT overhead as well.

This is a picture of the FWD overhead mounting with the receptacle for the quarter turn fastener attached:

You can just see the back of the FWD overhead on the far left of the shot.

Finally this is the fastener that locates in the receptacle ; The existing holes in the Sismo frame married up perfectly with the receptacle in my installation.

Finally here's a picture of the FWD and Aft Overheads mounted, with the FWD Overhead open for maintenance. These are both Sismo mounted to an FDS shell with the FDS bracket.

Hope this helps.

I have a fledgling Youtube channel (Yorkshire 737 Sim, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSu5_MLCRhZ-dSl4cMDRh5g) that I hope to upload more videos to soon showing the construction of and flights using the sim.

Regards

Simon.
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million Simon. Very helpful. I'll remove the back cover on my aft unit and that should solve the issue.

Kind Regards,

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: