Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nvidia RTX 2080Ti

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAWILCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti Reply with quote

Wondering if the RTX 2080Ti will be an overkill for P3D? I'm currently running two 980Ti's. I know the 1080Ti's may go on sale here in the near future, but I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and purchase a 2080Ti in order to prepare for what the future may have in store.

I know that P3D V4 definitely won't be able to push the 2080Ti to its max potential, but what about future versions of P3D, like V5?  Do you predict that future versions of P3D will have features that will allow the RTX 2080Ti to unleash its full potential?

Debating if I should purchase a 1080Ti or RTX 2080Ti. I saw today there was some leaked benchmark data showing that the RTX 2080Ti is 25%-30% more powerful than its predecessor 1080Ti. Wondering if that 25%-30% would apply to P3D.  It's always hard to gauge true performance increases because the manufacturers fail to include testing on simulation platforms such as P3D.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: GTX 1080ti - X-Plane 11 Reply with quote

I just upgraded my EVGA GTX Titan (2013 version) to an EVGA GTX 1080ti and the difference is exponential (even with the old 2013 CPU). Worth every penny! I'm sure the 2080 ti will be even better.

In X-Plane 11 settings I have Visual Effects at FULL, Texture Resolution at FULL, Antialiasing at 4X (all GPU dependent) and am maintaining a FPS of 55.

FOV is 90 (total) Spread over three 60" monitors (note displays are independently assigned in X-Plane 11). Each display is run at HD 1920x1080.
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: No overkill on GPU/CPUs Reply with quote

Note, there is no such thing as overkill with CPU or GPU with X-Plane. The software will gladly use every ounce of processing power available. The gold standard is to run Scenery, Objects, Shadows, Weather, and AI aircraft at FULL, and maintain 60fps. If anyone has a system capable of that, I'd love to see it.
PatSim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my ZOTAC GTX1080ti Amp Extreme (on e-bay now $500) with a nVidia Founders Edition RTX2080ti. Cost $1199.. Running P3Dv4.3 on a 4K 75” Vizio Screen w8700k cpu @ 5.1 ghz. I set my refresh to 30hz and V-Sync w/unlimited frames effectively giving me a stable 30fps. My eyes can’t tell the difference between 30 & 60 fps. (As long as fps doesn’t drop lower). Previously with the GTX1080ti there was a trade off between frame rates and visual quality, constantly adjusting sliders for an acceptable compromise. The real problem was finding graphics settings that worked great in FlightBeam/Aerosoft/FlyTampa but caused terrible frame rates in LatinVFR/Taxi2Gate. All the different “coders” of graphics use different techniques that produce vastly different visual results. Add on top of that ORBX and we know the problem. Of course I’m talking 4K here not 1080p which elevates the problem. I’ve tested my GTX1080ti using the 3DMark Firestrike Ultra DX11 with very good benchmark results.
So along comes the nVidia RTX2080ti and effectively ALL my graphics problems have vanished. With every slider @ Max, HDR, Dynamic Lighting, you name it, I can get a steady 30 fps. The caveat is still bad coding by some Vendors can cause minor drops in frame rates. No more freeze that cuase CTD. IVe flown on VATSIM (AAL3) to a couple dozen payware airports and have been amazed in the improvements with the RTX2080ti.
Using MSI Afterburner OC Scanner I have settled on a +140mhz OC w/+525mhz memory OC. PWR @123%/88degC.
My 3DMark DX12 (Ray Tracing) TimeSpy Benchmark is now 12693 4K/60hz, a 98 percentile among all Benchmarks. A 60% frame rate increase over the GTX1080ti. The DX11 (P3D) Firestrike Ultra 4K benchmark is 9006 a 25% improvement over the GTX1080ti.

Bottom line is if your running 4K, the improvement in visual performance is well worth the investment especially if you can recover $500-$550 on e-bay for a GTX1080ti card. The vast improvement in P3D visual performance caused by the RTX2080ti has cast focus on CPU Bound limitations in rendering. The quality of my problems is very high now.

Pat
X-Plane 11, B738 ZiboMod, ZHSI, “Duncan” script
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Was looking for three 2080TI's myself, but I'm a bit worried about all the 2080s that are being reported as dying and customers in need of RMAs.

I may hold off until the next round. Just one link to the issue, there are others out there:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-dying/
PatSim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve yet to see only reports in vague terms of returns. No actual numbers or percentages. Based on that no cars would ever be sold.
X-Plane 11, B738 ZiboMod, ZHSI, “Duncan” script
CAWILCO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a brand new custom built rig last week with a 9900K and RTX 2080Ti. We shall see how she handles.
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

Would be interesting to see what these 2080TI's can do with Xplane11.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: