Is it time yet?

A forum for open discussions. Feel free to discuss any and all elements of Flightdeck Building. NB: This section is for individual builders to openly discuss issues that may or may not pertain to FDS. Organizations/Political Groups or Commercial Entities Will require approval prior to posting. Prior Approval From FDS required prior to posting items for sale. No Exceptions.

Moderators: Curtis, Jetcos

VE3ORE

Is it time yet?

Post by VE3ORE »

P3D v5 has been out for a couple of months now and I have been sensible and have not immediately upgraded to this version…….

Is it ok to proceed now?

I am using SimA (737version) at present and I think that will be ok with an updated FSUIPC.

I have many Orbix airports.
Fly Tampa airports.
Active Sky P3D v4.5 version
Navigraph charts and FMS data.
Ultimate Traffic live.

Feedback from anyone who has made the update would be appreciated.

Andy

belisba

Re: Is it time yet?

Post by belisba »

For me, I've been holding out using with Sim-A for a few reasons,

First, P3D v5 is in its first update, not uncommon to see a second update before things stabilize. I did a full reinstall as recommended by LM for the first update.

Orbx did a nice job rolling out changes to Orbx Central and Chaseplane, so as long as you install into a library, you should be good. Haven't had any incompatibility issues yet with Orbx and P3Dv5 working together.

I really am an Active Sky fan and use it when I fly with Sim-A, so I'm waiting until they are through their beta and release a new version.

Another thing, is that I have a two projector setup and a 180-degree screen. I use Immersive Display Pro from Fly Elise-Ng for screen warping. Turns out I'll need to purchase their newer version (about $230) to get a new license (I'm over the 24 month upgrade period). Their new version is compatible with the new rendering engine.

I haven't seen an update to Ultimate Traffic Live yet, so that's a bummer.

So, for me, I've got P3Dv5 on my desktop, but still using P3Dv4.5 with Sim-A. For now....:)

Brad-Texas

VE3ORE

Post by VE3ORE »

Thanks for your comments, Brad. Useful feedback.

Things are working fine with 4.5 so I guess a couple more months won't matter. Also, I believe we are near to new release of simA so I will wait till that comes out before I meddle....

Andy

belisba

Post by belisba »

I think that’s a good plan Andy. One thought though, if you want to toy with updating, you can use a good imaging program like Macrium Reflect and backup your stable 4.5 setup first, then mess around. You can always reimage to revert right back to 4.5 anytime.
I do that routinely anyway and imaging has allowed me to screw up my sim more times than I can count with no long term penalty.

Brad-Texas

737NGSteffen

Post by 737NGSteffen »

Hi!
Exactly. I regularly do the same what Brad does with all of my 3 PCs every time I have changed something in my sim be it scenery or other software updates. The Macrium reflect images saved me a lot of time, nerves and my whole system more than one time when something went wrong. And I already changed to P3Dv5, tested, and reverted back to my v4.5 system using the Macrium image. :D
P3D5 is still not stable enough and I agree: I'll wait for Active Sky compatibility (and maybe UT live too). Meanwhile I'll collect all scenery updates which are released (other than ORBX) and will do a fresh install of P3D plus all addons, as soon as P3D5.1 is out. Of course I am looking forward to use it someday… and hopefully it will be sooner than MS FS2020 will come up. :lol:
As I still have more than one year ahead with FlyEliseNG free upgrade on my Licence I already installed the latest version (even on my P3D4.5 system) - and it works.

My cent.
Cheers
FDS B737NG-PRO-MX-DSTD + Nose/Liners + OVHD + TQ - all FDS - Sim-Avionics 1.966 - real Weber 737 crew seats - 3 PC setup P3D4.5 - custom made 220° FOV with 3 ultra short throw beamers